Yog-sothoth.com

Jomster

Can I put a word in for http://www.yog-sothoth.com/? It's a pretty good Cthulhu site and I think worth a look if you're considering a pulp horror game in the Hero system.

A word of warning though... they've got downloadable audio of themselves playing all the way through Masks of Nyarlathotep... once you get sucked in, it takes quite some time to get through to the end... I'm still on the Cairo chapter but making good progress! Chapter 12 has some particularly good bits concerning six elderly scimitar-wielding gentlemen guarding an artifact from ancient Egypt... well worth a listen! :)

Re: Yog-sothoth.com

Paul of Cthulhu and friends have put together an excellent site there, and it's worth noting that some "big names" from the Call of Cthulhu world frequently post on the forum. Many of the articles and posts are relevant to any game set around that period of history; I've certainly found a few fascinating titbits whilst browsing.

One thing that the prospective pulp-era GM might find interesting about the audio games is listening to the sorts of things players know and don't know about the 1920s and 1930s. Useful if you like to be prepared and have the sort of players who demand definitive answers!

You can also find some Cthulhu audio games over at RPGMP3.com but not much in the way of relevant written material (There's a superhero game on the new "Community" podcast feed there, but it's Truth & Justice rather than Champions.)

Also check out Tom Smith's free song downloads, which includes a Christmas song entintled "Yog Sothoth"

O Yog Sothoth

O Yog Sothoth, O Yog Sothoth,

We worship you, O Yog Sothoth.

Who's Santa Claus, who's Jesus Christ?

We worship Yog 'cause he's not nice.

We'll celebrate with some stray dog,

Which we'll carve up and serve to Yog.

O Yog Sothoth, O Yog Sothoth...

We beg you, do not eat us.

http://filkertom-itom.blogspot.com/

I like their actual play podcasts' date=' I just hate the sound quality.[/quote']

The sounds seems to get a lot better after episode 12... perhaps they upgraded their kit at that point. I imagine there's a bit of a learning curve with getting a clear recording of actual gameplay. Plus the actual cost of buying the recording hardware of presumably a few hundred dollars (or pounds in this case)... They've gone on to work their way through Horror on the Orient Express too (which is in progress). Pretty impressive feat really and good fun to listen to if you have a daily commute to work.

I'd be very interested if anyone knows of any Hero-based recordings out there...

Thanks for the link & kind words!

Good quality audio recordings can be a challenge. We've been putting recordings online for five years now.

A link giving some details on methods & equipment is below:

Game Audio Recording on CthulhuWiki

There is indeed a change in equipment and processing in session #12 of Masks of Nyarlathotep onwards (Method III), and Horror on the Orient Express uses Binaural 3D Surround Sound for about the best you're likely to get around a table in a normal room.

Costs run into four figures rather than three at the higher levels!