Invisibility

Vestnik

Re: Invisibility

That helps a lot, but it's still dangerous. Personally, I would allow it, but I always take great care to make campaigns sturdy to plot killing powers. Telepathy and Mind Control give me the most trouble, usually.

But at least you can hit that character in combat. Throw some area effect fireballs in his direction, no need to know exactly where he is :)

In my Champions game, I've got one "ghost" PC: invisible, desolid, and primary attack is TK Affects Real World, Fine Manipulation, using martial arts maneuvers.

Had I the chance to start the campaign over, I'd probably disallow the character, or at least demand some serious limitations and reductions.

The problem I have with the Invisible/Desolid combo is that it's too binary - either it is totally invulnerable & undetectable, or the opponents have the perfect counter (i.e., just the right enhanced sense and Affects Desolid). There's no sense of uncertainty, no risk versus reward; it either works (and therefore kicks total butte-oxen) or it doesn't (and the character is crippled). So, as GM, I have to choose whether or not to allow that character a free romp for an adventure, or to deliberately build baddies to screw him - and neither option exactly gives me great joy (my other option is a mentalist, but I ran a powerful mentalist in one of the first adventures, and some of the players still haven't stopped gritching about that one).

And, of course, the Affects Real World attack means that, unless the character is in a "yer skrood" situation, he just tosses baddies around pretty much willy-nilly.

I know, this is pretty much an "inexperienced Champions GM" whine/rant (I've run Hero for decades, but almost never Champions); but it's an illustration of how easy it is to get stuck in a corner over these powers.

What is the escape clause on the Desolid? I.e., the mandatory thing it doesnt work against?

In my Champions game, I've got one "ghost" PC: invisible, desolid, and primary attack is TK Affects Real World, Fine Manipulation, using martial arts maneuvers.

Had I the chance to start the campaign over, I'd probably disallow the character, or at least demand some serious limitations and reductions.

The problem I have with the Invisible/Desolid combo is that it's too binary - either it is totally invulnerable & undetectable, or the opponents have the perfect counter (i.e., just the right enhanced sense and Affects Desolid). There's no sense of uncertainty, no risk versus reward; it either works (and therefore kicks total butte-oxen) or it doesn't (and the character is crippled). So, as GM, I have to choose whether or not to allow that character a free romp for an adventure, or to deliberately build baddies to screw him - and neither option exactly gives me great joy (my other option is a mentalist, but I ran a powerful mentalist in one of the first adventures, and some of the players still haven't stopped gritching about that one).

And, of course, the Affects Real World attack means that, unless the character is in a "yer skrood" situation, he just tosses baddies around pretty much willy-nilly.

I know, this is pretty much an "inexperienced Champions GM" whine/rant (I've run Hero for decades, but almost never Champions); but it's an illustration of how easy it is to get stuck in a corner over these powers.

Sounds like it is time for a radiation accident :eg:

Oddly enough' date=' when the GM and I discussed the possibility of Desol. at one point the reason it was abandoned was the Walk Through Walls aspect.[/quote']

Everyone always says that's a problem. Why? (this is a honest question, not sarcansm, I wonder what I missed :)) I've got teleporting, wallwalking invisible characters more often than not, but it's no big deal. That *ONE* room in the campaign which should not be reachable due to plot problems like that is just guarded and hardened. Or the PCs have no clue where that room is. Reading peoples thoughts on the other hand, that is.

Because over 2/3 of that particular campaign took place with no combat at all, and sneaking through walls would have caused serious problems for the GM, and probably ruined a good deal of suspense.

In other games the wall-walking would have been a non-issue and the lack of ability to injure a problem.

However, in the game with the Invis Character they were the Ranged Combatant as well, not only were they a Non-Target, but they had IPE for their attacks and were often not near the action. Being Desolid for damage purposes was essentially a non-issue completely.