Catwoman, the four-color version

Mark Rand

Since I'm going to do a four-color campaign, I thought I'd have a four-color version of Catwoman. She's a flamboyant cat burglar, who leaves a signature, a business card with her name on it in script. She also hunts one of the PCs on an 8-, but it's playful, not lethal.

Her costume consists of a turtleneck sweater, jeans, running shoes and socks, a jacket, leather gloves, a ski mask, and webbing, all in black. Additionally, being non-lethal, she chloroforms her victims up before binding them with plastic ties and gagging them with duct tape.

Equipment-wise, she has sharp retractable claws in her gloves, an electronic stun gun, a suppressed pistol loaded with sleep darts and an assortment of burglar tools, some of which get switched out as needed (a multipower and a VPP).

Power-wise, I'm thinking of increasing her STR, DEX, and CON to at least 25, SPD to at least 4, giving her enhanced and protected senses, and perfect balance.

Any ideas?

Re: Catwoman, the four-color version

Personally, Id skip the turtleneck and jeans outfit, and go directly to a costume of some sort. Especially since shes got claw gloves. I wouldnt necessarily go with the vinyl/leather bodysuit shes wearing in the comics now (thats both boring and ugly, IMHO). But a bodystocking and cat ears, boots, gloves, and belt, might work. Take a look at the DCAU Batman series. Her early appearances there had her in a sort of "siamese cat" motif look, which worked quite well.

The Phantom in "The Pink Panther" left an embroidered white glove at the scenes of his crimes, because it tied into his motif as a "Gentleman Adventurer". She should leave something that ties into her cat obsession. Id change the mundane business card to something like a stamp, a small brass cat-head ornament, or something else. (A handfull of catfood. A catnip mouse. A collar tag. Whatever) :)

Personally, Id skip the turtleneck and jeans outfit, and go directly to a costume of some sort. Especially since shes got claw gloves. I wouldnt necessarily go with the vinyl/leather bodysuit shes wearing in the comics now (thats both boring and ugly, IMHO). But a bodystocking and cat ears, boots, gloves, and belt, might work. Take a look at the DCAU Batman series. Her early appearances there had her in a sort of "siamese cat" motif look, which worked quite well.

The Phantom in "The Pink Panther" left an embroidered white glove at the scenes of his crimes, because it tied into his motif as a "Gentleman Adventurer". She should leave something that ties into her cat obsession. Id change the mundane business card to something like a stamp, a small brass cat-head ornament, or something else. (A handfull of catfood. A catnip mouse. A collar tag. Whatever) :)

Agreed. The Batman TAS Catwoman costume is better than jeans and a turtleneck. From what I remember, It's gray and black.

The catnip mouse is also a nice touch. She might also make feline noises.

I've finally come up with the four-color Catwoman's background.

She started out using the turtleneck and jeans costume in Europe. According to various police reports, taken from security camera footage, she had "red eyebrows, green eyes, and fair skin".

The footage also showed that she was between 5 foot 4 and 5 foot 8, moved gracefully, had some skill in martial arts, and could either climb or walk on any fence or wall.

She usually used chloroform, sometimes with either a choke hold or a knee to the groin, to knock her victims out and bound them with cable ties and gagged them with duct tape. Other victims were knocked out with martial arts. Once those victims were secure, she'd explain, in a Marilyn Monroe-like voice, that she was a cat burglar who was going to steal their valuables and their insurance company would pay them for what she stole.

The name Catwoman was actually given to her by the French press in July of 2005 and she left a business card with that name on it by a victim for the first time in London in February of 2006. According to the security camera footage, she still had her jeans and turtleneck costume on. The current one, and current signature, didn't appear until early 2007.

While she's flamboyant, and in a four-color campaign, the flamboyance shows in the sophistication of her burglaries and not in her costume.

A black leather catsuit, that shows her every curve covers her body, arms, and legs. With it, she wears knee-high, and steel-toed, hiking boots, webbing, a light jacket, her gloves, and a ski mask with attached cat ears. When needed, she'll carry extra gear in a shoulder bag.

Although she's never needed to draw it, she carries a pistol holstered under her left arm. It was spotted once by two victims before she donned her current costume and one after.

While she's flamboyant, and in a four-color campaign, the flamboyance shows in the sophistication of her burglaries and not in her costume.

A black leather catsuit, that shows her every curve covers her body, arms, and legs. With it, she wears knee-high, and steel-toed, hiking boots, webbing, a light jacket, her gloves, and a ski mask with attached cat ears. When needed, she'll carry extra gear in a shoulder bag.

Although she's never needed to draw it, she carries a pistol holstered under her left arm. It was spotted once by two victims before she donned her current costume and one after.

After looking through Gadgets and Gear, written by Steve Long, I decided to change as much of the costume that I can to bulletproof spandex. It's also designed to be as distracting as possible. Her mask, actually a cowl, is made of the same material.