Increasing Lingering

So, I thought FH's Lingering was fantastic. Loved it. But I want to do something I've seen in a lot of other systems, and I can't figure out how to do it in HERO.

FH has a spell called Arcane Eye. I want to do something at the master level. Basically, for those w/o FH, it's Detect Magic, discriminatory, analyze

Now, I want to make this spell work so that the more time you look at an object, the more effective it is. So, you look at a sword, and you can detect that it's magic. A phase later, you can detect that it's imbued with fire magic. A bit later, you can detect that it can shoot a mid-level flame burst to a range of about thirty feet.

The only way I can think of doing this is to buy Detect Magic, then buy Analyze with an extra time limitation, and Discriminatory with even more extra time. Is this the only way to do this?

-cK

Re: Increasing Lingering

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

The only way I can think of doing this is to buy Detect Magic, then buy Analyze with an extra time limitation, and Discriminatory with even more extra time. Is this the only way to do this?

Is there some reason not to do it that way? It sounds exactly like what you're describing...

Re: Increasing Lingering

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

That's how I would do it, except I think you might want to switch Discriminatory with Analyze for the one that takes longer.

I suppose you could have the character with the basic Detect Magic and the Skill, Analyze (for Magic Items). You'd be using the last paragraph under that skill, where it talks about using it for analyzing architecture, rather than the Skill's normal use. Then just say that each successful Analyze Magic roll provides the next deeper level of information.

If you defined what a character could automatically detect at a given level of roll (e.g., "when the character's roll reaches 14-, he can automatically detect X without the need for a roll"), you could probably adapt the Cumulative Advantage to do what you want. However, the method you suggest is perfectly acceptable, and probably simpler unless you want to have a lot of abilities work in this same manner.