Is it fun to play RPGs online?

maidenforce19

Re: Is it fun to play RPGs online?

Having all of my players in one place would be nice, but it isn't always possible.

I've had a game running for more than a year now using Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

As for gaming it works fine. I play fast and loose with the movement rules, and focus more on the RP aspects than the combat aspects. So there's not necessarily combat in every session.

My experience with the process has been enjoyable. As long as both parties (GM and players) keep it honest, and the GM is good at communicating positions and scenes, it's quite viable to run most sorts of encounters such that only the GM actually possesses a precise copy of the hexmat.

I've been on both sides of the field in d20 and HERO in AIM chatrooms and such, and it's worked out pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

I went without any gaming for about 6 years and I really missed it, so I decided to try an online game and it did not go well. Several in the group missed sessions, I had trouble going back to "mapless" combat, and there were too many things going in the chat as everyone wanted to be in the spotlight at the same time. After a 2 year break, I decided to try it again when I saw a post here for a game that looked interesting and was using maptool so there would be an actual map for combat. We are also using ventrillo for chat and a few weeks ago some of us started using web cams. At this point there is very little difference between an FtF game and the online game I play.

I am now trying to get my old group from 5 years ago back together to play this way. Our biggest problem was that everyone moved away, and now we can play no matter where we move. For those who move around a lot or just have problems finding groups, I would recommend this option.

In our campaign, we have a friend who calls us when he wants to join. I have a conference call button on the phone and turn that on so everyone here can hear his voice. It works about 85% of the time but sometimes we have to repeat ourselves but hey, it works. As for not using a map, I use a map or something else less than 1% of the time; all the other times, the GM and players keep mental track of how far someone is. After you get used to it, you don't bother thinking about it. Until maidenforce19 brought it up, I didn't even think about it: it's that easy after awhile.

In our campaign' date=' we have a friend who calls us when he wants to join. I have a conference call button on the phone and turn that on so everyone here can hear his voice. It works about 85% of the time but sometimes we have to repeat ourselves but hey, it works. As for not using a map, I use a map or something else less than 1% of the time; all the other times, the GM [i']and[/i] players keep mental track of how far someone is. After you get used to it, you don't bother thinking about it. Until maidenforce19 brought it up, I didn't even think about it: it's that easy after awhile.

But would you really prefer not using a map? Or is it that you're not able to/it's too hard so can't/don't and you've learned to deal with it so well that you don't even need it anymore?

• 1 month later...

How do you do stuff like movement' date=' though, and miniatures? I just think that playing online ruins the whole experience[/quote']

Try Battlegrounds (see my sig for the link). It has a fullscreen map on which you can move virtual miniatures around. Both square grids and hex grids are supported, and it's easy to measure ranges on the map, even if you choose to play without a visible grid at all (for Hero System, just set the map scale to 2 meters per hex, to ensure accurate measurements).

Battlegrounds also has built-in support for Hero System dice mechanics, such as counting body/stun damage, killing damage, explosion damage, etc., all of which works without any user scripting whatsoever.

I try not to play tabletop RPGs online. I do so-called "freeform" roleplaying online, though, which is fun.

It's sort of an odd dichotomy - I cannot abide a tabletop game online, and I cannot abide a freeform game at the tabletop. If I'm playing in person, I want dice and rules. If I'm online, I want no part of either.