Sourcebook Inconsistancies?

crayadder

Hi all,

I'm writing up the Lich from Monsters, Minions, and Marauders while using the Hero Grimoire to add its spells. I have noticed, however, that the spell costs don't seem to match up with the spells referenced in the Grimoire. I was wondering if there is an existing explanation for this? The one that I ran into first and prompted this question is the Create Ghost spell, which references page 140 in the FHG in the write up of the Lich on page 107 of MMM. In MMM the cost stated is 6 while the cost in FHG is 19 for the base spell and 17 for the cheapest form of it(the Apprentice's version). There is no power pool in which the spells are placed in the write-up to explain the cost reduction.

Ideas?

thanks

Re: Sourcebook Inconsistancies?

What about game balance? If spells become so cheap' date=' won't spell casters become disproportionatey more powerful than other classes?[/quote']

Possibly.

However, no spell casting frameworks are allowed in that setting so it balances out for the most part.

Re: Sourcebook Inconsistancies?

What about game balance? If spells become so cheap' date=' won't spell casters become disproportionatey more powerful than other classes?[/quote']

Several rules come into play - first the RSR at -1/10 AP starts to get heavy skill penalites.

You have to buy a Skill for each school/style of magic (Conjuration, Divination, etc) and you're going to want to invest some serious points in it, a Skill Roll of 15- can make even moderately powerful spells difficult.

If you have a 20INT and want spells from 5 schools, each at a solid 18- Roll to cast even 40-60AP Spells consistently you're looking at 13pts per Skill, so 65 Points (since you can't buy Enhancers - it's based on the Power Skill - and Skill Levels are not encouraged, or even mentioned) just in Skills.

Having played the setting it is balanced.