Zamjza, Alien Mentalist

jkwleisemann

[b]Zamzja - [/b]
[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
23    STR     13   23      14-       HTH Damage 4 1/2d6  END [5]
20    DEX     30   20      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
23    CON     26   23      14-
16    BODY    12   16      12-
18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 13-
24    EGO     28   24      14-       ECV: 8
25    PRE     15   25      14-       PRE Attack: 5d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
12    PD      7   12/24             12/24 PD (0/12 rPD)
10    ED      5   10/22             10/22 ED (0/12 rED)
4    SPD     10   4/6                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12/2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     0   10
46    END     0   46
40    STUN    0   40
12    RUN      12   12"                END [2]
4    SWIM     2   4"                END [1]
9    LEAP     4   8 1/2"                8 1/2" forward, 4" upward
[b]CHA Cost: 174[/b]
[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
10     [b][i]Bond-Mate's Link[/i][/b]: Mind Link , Human class of minds, One Specific Mind, Psychic Bond - END=0
8     [b][i]Armored Costume[/i][/b]: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
10     [b][i]Mental Speed[/i][/b]: +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Limited Power Mental Actions Only (-1) [Notes: Bonus mental 
actions on Phase 4/10?  Or 5/7, splitting them between normal phases?] - END=
60     [b][i]Advanced Psychic Skills[/i][/b]: Multipower, 60-point reserve - END=
12m     0)  [b][i]Mental Domination[/i][/b]: Mind Control 10d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) 
(60 Active Points) - END=6
12m     1)  [b][i]Mental Scan[/i][/b]: Mind Scan 8d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class Of Minds classes of minds), +5 ECV 
(60 Active Points) - END=6
12m     2)  [b][i]Mind Reading[/i][/b]: Telepathy 10d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) (60 
Active Points) - END=6
8m     3)  [b][i]Telekinetic Shield[/i][/b]: Force Field (8 PD/8 ED/5 Mental Defense/2 Power Defense), Usable By Other (+1/4
), Ranged (+1/2) (40 Active Points) - END=4
6m     4)  [b][i]Telekinetic Throw: Blunt[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 9d6 (45 Active Points); OIF (Object of Opportunity; -1/2) - 
END=4
6m     5)  [b][i]Telekinetic Throw: Sharp[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); OIF (Object of 
Opportunity; -1/2) - END=4
[b]POWERS Cost: 144[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
     Former Bureaucratic Slave of the Lupinal Empire
3      1)  Bribery 14-
3      2)  Bureaucratics 14-
3      3)  Conversation 14-
3      4)  Concealment 13-
2      5)  Forgery (Documents) 13-
3      6)  Persuasion 14-
0      7)  PS: Desk Jockey (Everyman Skill) (Custom Adder) 11-
2      Language:  English (fluent conversation)
1      Language:  Laikan (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)
3      Combat Piloting 13-
0      TF:  Personal Use Spacecraft
[b]SKILLS Cost: 23[/b]
[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Contact:  Agent Marks (Government contact with whoever handles alien visitors) (Contact has access to major 
institutions) 8-
3      Contact:  Dr. Johan Fels (SETI Researcher) (Good relationship with Contact) 11-
[b]PERKS Cost: 5[/b]
[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
4      FTL Pilot
[b]TALENTS Cost: 4[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Hunted:  Lupinal Federation 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20     Hunted:  Teleios 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
5     Social Limitation:  Instinctive Submissive (Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
15     Social Limitation:  Public ID (Frequently, Major)
15     Psychological Limitation:  In Love with Bond-Mate (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Ethical Mentalist (Very Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
5     Physical Limitation:  Affected as Human and Animal Class of Minds (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Physical Limitation:  Requires Special Medical Care (vet and doctor both) (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
10     Physical Limitation:  Takes 1 Stun/Body suffered by Bond-Mate (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
10     Distinctive Features:  Anthropomorphic Husky (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used 
Senses)
5     Unluck: 1d6
0     Dependence:  Time with Bond-Mate (5-15 minutes, prefers more) Psych Lim Corruption (Very Common, Shifts) [Notes: With 
time period, psych lims shift 5 points towards a corrupted version in the following order; In Love with Bond Mate becomes 
Obsessed with Finding/Spending Time with Bond-Mate (time period 1 Day, 5 points shifted), Ethical Mentalist becomes Unethical 
Mentalist (time period 5 Days, 10 points shifted), Code vs Killing becomes Suicidal (time period 1 month, shifts immediately
).  End result, about 2 months before a total mental breakdown is imminent.  Will usually manage to re-establish the bond 
before that point, unless separation is brought on by something outside the Bond-Mate's control.]
[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]
Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

Background: "I love you, Corin!"

It was the last thing Zamzja said before the shuttle slammed into the Earth's atmosphere. At nearly half light-speed, it was like hitting a wall, but they hadn't been able to slow down any more before trying to land somewhere. Earth was the only inhabitable planet, and there was no way they could risk trying to make another jump to trans-light. Getting far enough out, with their shuttle under attack... they'd have been space dust before they were clear of the sun's gravity well.

Instead, Zamzja and his mate were knocked out cold as they were braked by the gasses surrounding the planet they had hoped would be their refuge. Neither of them was conscious to guide the ship in for a reasonably safe landing... so it crashed through a skyscraper on its way to the ground.

Eventually, Zamzja woke up, surrounded by smooth-skinned locals in environmental suits. The room he was in was white... all white... sterile and clean and reeking of chemicals. He reached out across his bond to Corin... but shi wasn't there.

Zamzja howled, a soul-deep expression of anguish that shocked the doctors around him. And one of them hurried off, to call in backup in case they needed it....

Personality/Motivation: Zamzja, when the heroes first meet him, is broken and desperate. His species, the Hikarsi, evolved from psychically active pack-hunters, and have never really lost that essential group nature. He needs to establish a psychic bond with somebody, or risk going mad and eventually dying, literally, from loneliness. The last person he was bonded with, Corin, died in the crash and was taken off to be necropsied (which Zamzja doesn't know, and won't be happy about, though he'll accept it when he finds out as long as he can still take custody of hir body and conduct the funeral rites). With his mind isolated, it's all he can do to explain the situation before trying to connect to somebody new.

He and Corin were trying to escape from a destroyer ship sent by the Lupinal Federation, a group of Wolf-like aliens who ruled over a group of planets that feared the widespread psychic abilities of the Hikarsi. While their species were very similar, the Hikarsi were carefully regulated and practically slaves; Zamzja and Corin had fled, hoping to find a place they could live in freedom and possibly build support to oust the Federation. After the ship had hit Earth's atmosphere, they would probably have been written off as killed in the crash. Unfortunately, since one of them had been, Zamzja needs somebody to willingly accept a mental bond... he won't be able to get any information that the person doesn't want to disclose, but the bond can only be broken by death or fairly extreme psychic surgery. Assuming that somebody accepts the bond (at this point, none of the hospital staff are quite willing), the alien touches the new Bondee's forehead and looks into his or her eyes. They are connected by a Mind Link from that point.

What Zamzja doesn't mention (because she barely thinks of it, especially right now) is the level of devotion that he has to whoever he bonds with. Most of his people become friendlier to each other through shared bonds, but Zamzja is an unusual case of a Hikarsi whose devotion can be described more accurately as love; it's a known condition on Laika, his world, one that rarely causes her any difficulty, but on Earth....

He isn't forceful about it, and actually accepts pretty much any treatment his newest bond-mate gives him, but he tries to become a part of that person's life in some way. He must spend a few minutes a day with his bond-mate, or the bond actually will degrade (again, not something he explains up front; his judgment is ever so slightly impaired by the fear that he won't be able to find a new bond-mate), but it cannot be reassigned... prolonged isolation from a bond-mate is as good as a guarantee of madness.

Beyond his devotion to his bond-mate, Zamzja's primary interest will be in protecting and helping whatever 'pack' she becomes a part of. On Laika, he would have been considered a beta, a lower-ranking member of the pack he was part of, and so he's eager to be helpful in any way, including combat. His focus on the 'pack' can be disconcerting to some people, but it means that some may interpret his more focused interest on being with his bond-mate as merely one example of his love of 'group activities' in general.

"Your minds are different than ours... but not *that* different."

Powers/Tactics: Like most of his kind, Zamzja is a skilled telepath and mentalist. Unlike most of them, he is incredibly powerful, measuring up to the standards of Earth's superheroes (there is a link between this and his pronounced affection for bond-mates). He doesn't like forcing mental domination and communication, but will do so for the good of the pack... or himself, if pushed far enough. Generally, he's more comfortable with using his telekinetic abilities in a fight, viewing them as less intrusive.

Appearance: Zamzja, like most Hikarsi, is physically very similar to an Earth Husky (to the point of requiring the joint efforts of a veterinarian and a doctor to receive medical treatment on Earth). Barely more than five feet tall, he packs a lot of muscle in a small package, beneath his pale grey and white fur. His crystal blue eyes are expressive, showing his feelings almost as well as his bushy tail. He wears either standard civvies (adapted for his tail and feet - he hates shoes), or his armored flight jumper, red and grey.

• 1 month later...

Re: Zamjza, Alien Mentalist

It's 2 - Human and Animal. Normally, only affects one, but HD doesn't allow you to *specify* the "additional" when you buy it, so I listed 'em both in the box for one.

It proceeded to list it as 'human, animal, and additional' when it should basically be 'human and additional: Animal"

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Zamjza, Alien Mentalist

I like the character concept and the write up.

But here is a few problems that I have found on your character write up.

The disadvantage OIF (Object of Opportunity; -1/2) where did this come from?

Is it another way of saying it is a focus like in the Main Rule book on page 187?

Also to save points you might want to put the offinsive powers in the multipowers in fixed slots.

From the points saved you can then use then to build a small point Elemental Control frame work.

It would be more cost effective in cost if you used the power force wall.

Buy the Mental defense and Power defense seperate and in the Elemental Frame or have them cost endurance.

Or have two Multipower frame works. One for Offensive Powers one for Defensive Powers.

But you have to get a GM's permission.

An example of this is as follows

Mulipower Offensive powers.

60 Multipower

6 Fixed slot 0) Mental Domination: Mind Control 10d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) (60 Active Points) - END=6

6 Fixed slot 1) Mental Scan: Mind Scan 8d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class Of Minds classes of minds), +5 ECV (60 Active Points) - END=6

6 Fixed slot 2) Mind Reading: Telepathy 10d6 (Human, Animal and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) (60 Active Points) - END=6

4 Fixed slot 4) Telekinetic Throw: Blunt: Energy Blast 9d6 (45 Active Points); END=4

4 Fixed slot 5) Telekinetic Throw: Sharp: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); END=4

A savings of 22 points.