How would you do this?

JmOz

I am working on a character that essentialy is a power Armor character that the armor can act on its own.

Essentialy what I want it to be able to do is the following

The suit can be a robot

The suit can be worn and controled by someone else (Thus using there higher dex, int, speed, etc)

The suit can take control when the person inside is KO'd

How would you all recomend doing this?

Re: How would you do this?

Originally posted by JmOz

I am working on a character that essentialy is a power Armor character that the armor can act on its own.

Essentialy what I want it to be able to do is the following

The suit can be a robot

The suit can be worn and controled by someone else (Thus using there higher dex, int, speed, etc)

The suit can take control when the person inside is KO'd

How would you all recomend doing this?

I'm not certain how I would ultimately end up building it, but my first thought is to build the armor as a vehicle, rather than a focus/OIHID power. This would mean fixing the armor's DEX, SPD, etc. rather than using it as a bonus, and the "base character" may need some driving skills. You indicate it's pretty easy to control, so maybe no special skills are required - the fact others can use it potentially hurts you more than paying a few points on a skill, so it's not unreasonable.

An AI which takes control as a robot, or when you're KO'd would seem to make these work, and has precedent in vehicles. [Make its DEX/SPD a bit lower than the vehicle and it will even seem sluggish without a human driver!] I suppose you could build an AI even if you don't treat the suit as a vehicle - I'd probably allow it. Other GM's may disagree - apparantly I'm pretty liberal based on board discussions, but my players don't always see it that way! :eek:

By the way the way I am considering doing it, but want to find a simpler way if I can is this:

Build the character with the suit

Build the suit without the character

Build the character with out the suit, buy Multiform (x2 forms) and duplication on this form (Multiform 1 is w/suit,

MF2 is the suit w/o character representing him being K/O) and the Duplication (+1 different) is the suit as a solo act.

Like I said I would like a simpler way of doing this...

Originally posted by JmOz

I thought about the vehicle method, the only problem I have with it is the "Force Wall Effect" Of vehicles...

Given it's a force wall like effect, perhaps you could give it "Feedback" on its defenses, so the vehicle defense will act like a force field instead of blocking all damage unless it takes BOD. The suit could also enhance the driver's defenses if you want the Vehicle to be a bit more fragile.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Given it's a force wall like effect, perhaps you could give it "Feedback" on its defenses, so the vehicle defense will act like a force field instead of blocking all damage unless it takes BOD.

Hey, that's pretty good.

Several possibilities occur to me:

Alter the rules. Never my favorite, but I've long had some difficulty with Vehicles having the ability to buy Defenses cheaper than Automatons. Triple the cost for the Vehicle's Defenses, and make sure to apply the normal limits to them (if other characters can have defenses of 30, Vehicles can have a Defense of 10).

Again, alter the rules. Ugh. This one not so excessively: rule that since the Vehicle is being used as Armor, it provides its occupent Defense as though it is Armor rather than vehicular defense. It uses its defense normally when figuring out if it is damaged.

Use Indirect to get around the Vehicle Defense a lot :)

Hmm, other suggestions have already been made.

You might consider using the Automaton rules instead of the Vehicle rules, and just having the robot have a hollow space inside for the user.

I somewhat favor Monolith's suggestion, otherwise.

Originally posted by GamePhil

You might consider using the Automaton rules instead of the Vehicle rules, and just having the robot have a hollow space inside for the user.

That's basically what I would do. Make the primary character the Powersuit, as an Automaton, and buy the driver as a 100% different Duplicate or a follower. If you go the Duplication route, you can either use Cannot Recombine, or define recombining as getting in the suit.