Fantasy Hero Modules

CTaylor

I have one Fantasy Hero adventure up for sale and four more on the way, but I have a question before I get too carried away: how much interest is there in this content?

How much are you willing to pay for FH adventures?

What power levels do people want to see?

How much desire is there for high fantasy scenarios for sale?

I've converted five old AD&D and three Warhammer Quest adventures to Fantasy Hero for free on my website, and I have more (AD&D and MERP) adventures on the way, but I'd rather focus on something that can pay a bit for my work. If there's no interest, though, I'd rather save myself the trouble.

Re: Fantasy Hero Modules

As with any pricing scheme... there is rarely a set and specific answer.

I definitely (as a GM new to Fantasy Hero) have an interest in available modules. What would I pay for said module... that all depends on quality, content, readability, etc.

Your current module, which is available via download for $3.50 seems to be a very attractive price. But what is included? Graphics, maps, treasure, relics, etc.? What power level of characters is the module designed for? Is it self contained (Are descriptions provided for all creatures/monsters, or will I need to have monster/beast/etc. books from the Hero System)? The more descriptive you are, the more likely you are to get buyers.

I noticed that your module is "set in the world of Jolrhos"... this might a feature limitation to some (like me for example) who are using the default Turakian age setting and do not know what is required to change to your setting.

As per what levels of adventures there is a demand for... that as well is a very difficult question to answer. Beginning levels are always great for newer groups (such as ours) whereas more advanced groups might like a higher leveled setting. The easiest way to address this in modules, is to include notes for how to modify the challenge rating of the adventure. So if you design an entry level adventure... include some modifications that would allow it to work for a more advanced group.

As it is now... the price is very attractive... I would not hesitate to spend $3.50 for a downloadable module... but I would not buy it in its current state due to the limited description.

Anyway, I hope that helps,

Tomasina

I was just looking at your preview pages... and saw that there is a more detailed description (as per desired character level/inclusions) at the end of the preview pages. You might want to include this information in the overall description... I almost did not look at your preview pages, and would have missed it.

The adventure states that it is for 4-8 players of up to 750 pts combined. Do you mean 750 pts for the party (combined meaning combining all the players pts) or do you mean 4-8 players of up to 750 pts combines (where each character has 750 pts combined (combined meaning basic/disadvantages/etc.)?

I wanted to make one additional comment as per the desired adventure level. Starter level adventures (150pt characters) are nice for new gamers, as this is something I looked all over for when we switched to this system (about a month ago) and could not find anywhere.

Update:I actually just ordered the DL of the module, and took a quick look at it. It looks nice and overall I am impressed. I am glad I bought it, and would buy additional modules based on this one.

Feedback Based on First Look:Once again the overall adventure description (players/level/inclusions/etc. should be included at the beginning of the module... I could not find it). I also found some of the ordering of the module to be a bit confusing. It started talking about areas, and I did not know what it was talking about until I flipped to the maps. I would think the maps should be included prior to the Surrounding Areas section since the jump from story overview to Surrounding Areas is quite abrupt (or at least reference the maps prior to talking about the areas)... but this is just my opinion. Since Fantasy Hero is a hex-based system, the maps should be hex-based as well (instead of their current grid form). Lastly... I occaisonally get a PDF error regarding a token... but hopefully that is something on my side.

Tomasina

Sorry for the string of replies, but I wanted to clarify a line of feedback I gave regarding the somtimes confusing order of the module (in my opinion).

Most modules have a somewhat familiar thread:

Adventure Summary - gives a big picture of how the adventure will run

Background Information - sometimes included in Adventure Summary

How to Get the Players Involved

Starting the Adventure

Location 1 Map

Location 1 Details / Objectives

Location 2 Map

Location 2 Details / Objectives

etc.

Adventure Conclussion - tie in to other adventures, where to go from here, etc.

Characters - section with character writeups

Supporting Information - Treasure / Magical Items / etc.

I found your format of having locations prior to how to get the players involved, and without a real adventuer overview (what is generally supposed to happen) somewhat confusing. I figured it out... but I think it could have been clearer.

Again, overall I really like the adventure... and I think it fulfills a very needed niche... and I am very glad to have purchased it. I just think the overall structure of future modules could be a bit more clear.

Tomasina

I'm limited in the text I can put in the description to 1000 characters, so I can't put a ton of information in there.

That module is just meant to be a blank slate for the GM to build a story around, I put it out there first because it was the easiest to throw out and wanted some product up. I agree, it's a bit aimless, but it's meant to be, it's like the earliest D&D modules: here's a place to go stomp around in.

My approach is to have the monsters in each adventure available online for download (the whole bestiary, which is freaking ginormous and getting bigger) and the modules for sale, so I don't have to pack each one full of basic creatures. The more specific and important NPCs are listed in the back.

Thanks for the input, if you check out the other modules I've converted you'll see the format is a bit more orthodox, part of the reason I've been grinding through them is to get a better feel about how to present an adventure and how to lay out the book.

I'm limited in the text I can put in the description to 1000 characters, so I can't put a ton of information in there.

[...]

Thanks for the input, if you check out the other modules I've converted you'll see the format is a bit more orthodox, part of the reason I've been grinding through them is to get a better feel about how to present an adventure and how to lay out the book.

While the text is limited, I would at least include the basic level of the module... but perhaps most people will look at the sample pages.

I have looked at your other modules, and yes... they are much more orthodox. I am impressed with your Beastiary and other materials, and look forward to seeing what other materials you release.

Tom

OK I've updated and upgraded for a new edition, thanks for the tips.

Still, I would like more input from GMs about what kind of stuff they're looking for. What power levels? What kinds of adventures? What kind of prices are reasonable?

Do you want city adventures, forests, underground, ruins? Dungeon crawls? Political intrigue? Seagoing adventures? Odd environments?

For 75 total points of characters? 150? 300? What kind of characters, mostly magical, low magic, what's your game need?

I tend to only run scenarios that I have come up with myself or adapted from history and other 'original' sources.

However, for what it's worth I'd say that a module I paid for should be either

a) Nice and detailed so I can run it easily without too much work.

or B) Something original enough that I would have been unlikely to come up with it myself. New monsters or strange twists on old ones. A good story or plot hook, that sort of thing.

As for power levels I would say the standard would be characters built on 150 points but with options for higher and lower levels. Perhaps list some optional extra powers with each monster to show how it could be more powerful.

Guest voodoo54

Well since I'm writing up my own 'sourcebook' for my future Middle-earth campaign I would definitly be interested in any MERP specific adventures. There's quite a few MERP adventures out there on the internet but having some written specifically with HERO in mind would be great, making my job as a GM much easier. So I would be interested in that. Specific locations or terrain wouldn't matter much to me as long as it's MERP written for HERO.

Guest voodoo54

I have a bunch of MERP modules but I haven't done any conversions because they're all set in the Middle Earth world and not mine' date=' so it would require a lot of background work to build the monsters, treasures, etc.[/quote']

I hear ya, but for what its worth I'd buy a Merp Hero adventure.

Guest voodoo54

I couldn't sell it though: violates copyright' date=' and I wouldn't want to do that to the Tolkien estate anyway.[/quote']

Those pesky copyright laws, always getting in the way.:D

Do you have a license to sell HERO works?

Yes, but printing supplement materials for hero doesn't violate copyright unless you use their settings, characters, etc. If you cite their book and copyrights, you can use the rules to make supplements and sell them. The problem with MERP is the setting, not the rules. My setting is copyrighted too, but it's mine :)

And that's the cutest ocelot, ever.

The license lets you put "officially licensed" on the product and sell it on the hero website catalog if they want (they take a bigger chunk of the profits, as they ought). Without the license all you're doing is advertising for and giving hero games more support material. At least, that's what I understand.

Possibly Hero can sue you to stop you from printing material that's not licensed to them, but why would they in any case? Unless your stuff is really horrible and offensive like role playing the Klan or something, it's all good for Hero. It makes their printed material more attractive by giving more adventures and goodies for people to use the official books with. One of the big pulls of AD&D was "yeah, the rules pretty much suck, but all that source material!" so people kept playing it and buying the books.

Yes' date=' but printing supplement materials for hero doesn't violate copyright unless you use their settings, characters, etc. If you cite their book and copyrights, you can use the rules to make supplements and sell them. The problem with MERP is the setting, not the rules. My setting is copyrighted too, but it's [b']mine[/b] :)

And that's the cutest ocelot, ever.

Umm, sorry, guys, but that's completely wrong. A, you can't use our rules without a license- the Hero System isn't open. And B, you certainly can't put our company's name on your cover. Please contact me directly at darren@herogames.com so we can work something out on this, Chris. dw

What if you don't sell the module, but rather a document with the conversions for a given module? For each module already published you would publish a companion conversion.

If you still cannot do that without permission, pehaps you could contact ICE. They may be very favorable for you to do that since thay may mean more module sales for them.

Just a thought.

I couldn't sell it though: violates copyright' date=' and I wouldn't want to do that to the Tolkien estate anyway.[/quote']

Man, I am so out of it. I replied without reading the second page. The virus has infected my brain.

What if you don't sell the module, but rather a document with the conversions for a given module? For each module already published you would publish a companion conversion.

If you still cannot do that without permission, perhaps you could contact ICE. They may be very favorable for you to do that since they may mean more module sales for them.

Just a thought.

Guest voodoo54

If you still cannot do that without permission, pehaps you could contact ICE. They may be very favorable for you to do that since thay may mean more module sales for them.

Just a thought.

ICE Doesn't have the rights to Middle-earth anymore. Haven't for awhile.

WHAT? To tell the truth, I just came out of the RPG time-capsule a couple years ago. I am still working on the reality as it was 20 years ago.

Hmmmm, next you are going to tell me that TSR was purchased by some card game maker.