Limitation on Overall Skill Levels

nexus

I have character named Tao (Tactically Augmented Organism). One of her powers is perfect recall. She never forgets anything. So I want to get something to represents the perks of this ability. One is Overall Skill Levels. They would be limited though to situations were having Perfect Recall would be useful. What (if any) limitation would this be worth?

Re: Limitation on Overall Skill Levels

One is Overall Skill Levels. They would be limited though to situations were having Perfect Recall would be useful. What (if any) limitation would this be worth?

I'd say -1/4, which makes your 8-pt skill cost 6 points. That's 1 pt more than just buying a +1 with all INT skills, and 2 pts less than if you had a +1 to DEX and PRE skills. Seems fair to me.

Actually, it would be 10 points down to 7 points (rounded to the character's favor) which to me is ... broken. Personally, I'd make it a 10 point skill level, 0 point limitation: When Perfect Recall applies. There's far too many times when it will apply versus when it won't. Overall levels are things I wouldn't really assign limitations too.

An 8 point combat level, Only for Opponents You've Seen? That makes total sense! But disarm one bomb and you've disarmed a hundred? Bleh.

Overall levels are things I wouldn't really assign limitations too.

Why?

It is the PERFECT method for building levels that can only be used for defensive actions.

(Read my wording carefully. 5 point CSL's vs. DCV cannot be used to improve ones chances of success with Dive For Cover because its primary function does not improve one's DCV. The same logic applies to 8 point CSL's vs. ALL Combat.)

back to the original question...

I think - 1/4 to -1/2 seems about right. Call it "Only Usable In Familiar Circumstances".

HM

Life experience is important here

I would say

Newborn (less than 1 month old, robot just coming on line for instance), -1

for a infant (say up to 2 years old) that -1/2 is probably "right"

For a being with a normal life span of experience 20-40 years, probably -1/4 assuming an active life

beyond that -0

Actually' date=' it would be 10 points down to 7 points (rounded to the character's favor) which to me is ... broken.[/quote']

See, I'd say that it would be incredibly unlikely to apply in combat, so I'd base it on the 8-pt "+1 with all non-combat skills" level. Just my $.02.