Helm of Ossai

mayapuppies

Hello all,

The following is one piece to an set of "evil" armor that I am scattering across my main campaign setting. This particular piece is the center piece to the current adventure.

This particular piece is not only a stylish form of headwear but allows the wearer to go without breathing, protects against sight based flash attacks, radiates an aura of fear, boosts the wearers Ego and allows the wearer to control the minds of Humans and Spirits.

I'm looking for feedback about the build, this being my first "artifact" and all.

Helm of Ossai: (Total: 327 Active Cost, 64 Real Cost) Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Full Helm (Protects Location 3-5; -3), Independent (-2), Normal Mass (-1), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 1) plus Change Environment 16" radius, -5 to Ego Rolls, -5 to Presence Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (128 Active Points); Independent (-2), No Conscious Control (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 21) plus Mind Control 6d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds: Spirit classes of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Area Of Effect (20" Radius; +1 1/4) (150 Active Points); Independent (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Major Transform 1/2d6 (Non-"Evil" Person into "Evil" Person, Healed By Ritual Cleansing of the Soul), Reduced Endurance (0 END); No Conscious Control, Limited Target (Only the Wearer of the Helm); -1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus +5 EGO (10 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

Re: Helm of Ossai

The Limitations aren't consistent; the Focus, Independent, and Mass Limitations should apply to everything or nothing. Also, the Transform probably should be listed as a Side Effect to the other Powers rather than something for which the builder pays points (though there could be an argument to the contrary).

Otherwise I think you have a good concept there. I'd be interested to see how the game plays out. :)

I broke out the component powers so its easier to see what's there. I also tried to refigure the calcs, adding OIF and Independent to each power, and making the transform be a side effect of the Mind Control rather than a seperate power.

• Helm of Ossai: (Total: 327 Active Cost, 64 Real Cost)

1) Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Full Helm (Protects Location 3-5; -3), Normal Mass (-1), OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2), (Real Cost: 3)

2) +5 EGO (10 Active Points), OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2), (Real Cost: 3)

3) Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points) OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2), (Real Cost: 3)

4) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points) OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2), (Real Cost: 1)

5) Change Environment 16" radius, -5 to Ego Rolls, -5 to Presence Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (128 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2) (Real Cost: 21)

6) Mind Control 6d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds: Spirit classes of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Area Of Effect (20" Radius; +1 1/4) (150 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2) Minor Side Effect:* Side Effect occurs automatically whenever power is used (-1/2) , (Real Cost: 33)

*Side Effect - Major Transform 1/2d6 (Non-"Evil" Person into "Evil" Person, Ritual Cleansing of the Soul), (15 Active Points).

You know, there really needs to be a template for creating magic items that makes it easier to follow and cleaner to use. Maybe something like a Multipower setup, where all the limitations and advantages that apply to all powers listed at the top, and then ads and lims specific to powers listed within the writeup for those powers. The current deal with using the "plus" within the body of the write-up is incredibly cluttered, especially in situations like this where there are several elements to the item. So...someone should get to work on that. :P

Ok, corrected the limitation consistency and made Transform a side effect.

I'm really hoping that the party fails to keep the bad guy from getting the helm, or that the party tries to find a way to destroy it along with the (as yet unknown) other pieces of the suit of armor.

I know one player who will likely try and use it, though. ;)

I broke out the component powers so its easier to see what's there. I also tried to refigure the calcs' date=' adding OIF and Independent to each power, and making the transform be a side effect of the Mind Control rather than a seperate power.[/quote']

Thanks

You know, there really needs to be a template for creating magic items that makes it easier to follow and cleaner to use. Maybe something like a Multipower setup, where all the limitations and advantages that apply to all powers listed at the top, and then ads and lims specific to powers listed within the writeup for those powers. The currect deal with using the "plus" within the body of the write-up is incredibly cluttered, especially in situations like this where there are several elements to the item. So...someone should get to work on that. :P

Totally agree

I know one player who will likely try and use it' date=' though. ;)[/quote']In that event, what is the effect of a character turning "evil." GM control? GM supervised player control, with specific instruction on being "evil?" Something else?

You know' date=' there really needs to be a template for creating magic items that makes it easier to follow and cleaner to use. Maybe something like a Multipower setup, where all the limitations and advantages that apply to all powers listed at the top, and then ads and lims specific to powers listed within the writeup for those powers. The current deal with using the "[b']plus[/b]" within the body of the write-up is incredibly cluttered, especially in situations like this where there are several elements to the item. So...someone should get to work on that. :P

In Hero Designer:

Create a new List,

Click on Common Modiifers,

Add Modifiers as Appropriate,

Place Powers inside the List,

Voila.