New Mechanic: Different Approaches For Deflection/Reflection

schir1964

Re: New Mechanic: Different Approaches For Deflection/Reflection

Exactly as you cannot attack if you block or missile deflect. Or am I missing something game-shattering again?

Using Missile Deflection is an attack action so no, you can't attack and use it in the same phase with out Advantages. If you can Reflection you can theoretically attack but someone has to attack you and MD isn't Absolute. Missile Deflection is also a half phase action so limits you in other ways Desolidification doesn't while not giving additional movement options (passing through solid matter).

Honestly, I haven't seen missile deflection be broken at its current cost level. One of the issues with it has been that it's a little less effective in some instances than a Dodge/Martial Dodge/DCV levels. That's one reason I don't like the "Penalty based on Active points" aspect of the revised version in the UEP. Unless I've missed some important reason for it it would make MD even less desirable compared to the other options.

I don't yet have the UEP. Can you give me a rough overview of the alternate system? Flat cost and -1 per 10 active points in the attack?

I rule that MD is just a block v ranged attacks, which means you can block and MD in the same phase. Otherwise, blocking and MD is just not as attractive an option as dodging.

No problem

The Base power to block a ranged attack cost 10 points and there is a -1 OCV per 10 Active points in the incoming attack. There are some more bells and whistles like Deflect Adjacent being assume and Ranged Deflection reduced to +1/2 but that the gist of it.

I would. There are some interesting discussion of energy types and how that interact in Hero System terms and quite a options and suggestions to make "blasters" more interesting.

I prefer the UEP version as well.

Don't forget that this version also must deflect versus the opponent's modified OCV. If they have a base OCV of 7 but they have +5 OCV with that 50 AP EB, then you are at -5 OCV to MD a 12 OCV.

I still think that Missile Deflection should be a Skill, however, like Defense Maneuver or Two-Weapon Fighting.

I would. There are some interesting discussion of energy types and how that interact in Hero System terms and quite a options and suggestions to make "blasters" more interesting.

Cool, I'll make it part my next 50 buck order. :thumbup:

Okay how about this?

Missile deflection costs 20 points, a flat adder to block. It is functionally, and theoretically a block for ranged attacks and can interchange with block in the same phase. Being able to MD for someone else is -2 ocv just as bocking for someone else is. All rules pertaining to blocking are equally valid for missile deflection.

Any extras just stack on top for extra points. eg. next hex costs an extra 10 points. Reflection costs another 25 points. (cost isn't important right now. might be higher) You can add reflection to blocks as well as MD.

You can stick limitations on it if it only works v a certain special effect or doesn't work v something else.

That's my thinking on what I would like to see anyway.

It seems like there ought to be either adders for blocking more speedy and difficult attacks (arrows, bullets) than just thrown things. I could theoretically (with a good roll) block a thrown knife or a ball, but in no way can a normal human block an arrow, and nobody can block a bullet without supernatural ability.

Personaly, and take with lots of salt:

I think that it should be 10 points for one Damage type (Physical, energy, mental, Adjustment power, (Sense) Flash), and like others say it is attached to block, so all modifiers etc...