How would you build this?

Stone

Need help with this..

I am trying to develop a paladin power. The power is going to a "holy aura". It creates a aura that extends out 2 hexes from the paladin and any enemies that enter the aura will recieve damage from it. Those who play Rolemaster will recognize this from the paladin's spell list. Anyway, I am trying to decide if this would work better as a damage shield or as a EB/RKA no range/continious.

If I go the continious route then the enemy would take damage every phase the paladin is able to take an action. However if I go the damage shield route, then the enemy would take damage every phase the enemy is within the range of the damage shield...is that correct??

The FAQ notes that AOE Damage Shield powers can be very abusive, and also that technically the character can't move and keep the AOE power up unless he buys yet another advantage.

I would also note that the power only harms enemies, which means that straight AOE won't do it. (AOE with a "only for enemies" Limitation is invalid -- "only for enemies isn't limiting.)

Here's how I would do it:

Cost Power END
35 Righteous Aura of Horrible Pain: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. ED), AOE: 1 hex Accurate (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Selective Target (+1/4); Must target all enemies (based on special sense) (-1/2) 5
14 The "Right" in Righteous: Detect Enemies 18-, Range, Sense, Targeting Sense; Only for Righteous Aura targeting (-1)
Powers Cost: 49

If you wanted, you could ditch the sense and change the "must target via sense" limitation to "must target all known enemies".

DS

I don't think DS will do what you want. For DS to work, they must make a HTH attack against the character that has the DS.

Here is a sample (probably not what you want, but can be tweaked easily):

4d6 EB, Continuous (+1), Area Effect: 2" (+3/4), Selective (+1/4), 0 Range (-1/2)

AP: 60, RP: 40

Probably you also want to look into continuing charges to make this something that could be used a few times a day, not eat all the characters END and be somewhat afforable.

- Ernie

Re: How would you build this?

Originally posted by Stone

It creates a aura that extends out 2 hexes from the paladin and any enemies that enter the aura will recieve damage from it.

It's been a long, long time: does the spell actually harm enemies, or does it only harm unholy things?

If the former, one of the other suggestions is necessary. If it only affects demone, undead, and so on, you might consider Change Environment: Holy Aura, 4x Radius around character. The creatures in question have a Susceptibility to being in such areas.

I don't think that moves with the character, but I'd allow Damage Shield on it to get it to.

Clarification, please

Is this an always on sort of thing or does the character activate it? How long does it last?

Is there a way around it for the bad guys (other than a crossbow bolt)?

Is this enough to kill, or just cause pain?

It sounds pretty powerful - kind of a "nuke-em all and god's already sorted them out" kind of thing.

The "double AOE" mechanic was used in Fantasy Hero for spells which do AOE Selective but which are very accurate in their selection. The rules note is that AOE: Accurate applies to each targeted person, making it much harder to avoid the effect.

I was thinking about putting a duration on it. It can kill, but more intended to hurt/damage. The main purpose of this spell/ability is to defend against getting swarmed by enemies. As for a way around it. It is an aura that surrounds the character and extends in all directions for 2 hexes. It can be surpressed or dispelled, but other than that enemies would have to attack from outside the range or risk the damage. Would putting charges and durations on it make it less twinky?

Guest Confusinator

Try this

Rolemaster version of Holy Aura I - A 10' radius bright shimmering aura surrounding the caster. Demons and undead (and other inherently evil beings as the GM determines) must make a resistance roll or receive an A severity critical each round they are in the radius, and friendly moral in the radius improves by +5

My interpretation of this:

Holy Aura I: Killing Attack - Ranged 0 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Uncontrolled: Duration is 1 min/Power Level (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Mobile (+1), Continuous (+1) (52 Active Points); Only vs Demons and Undead (-1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only When Serving the Gods Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Target Takes No Damage if He/She Makes an EGO Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

PLUS

Aid: PRE 1d6, Only for Allies (+0), Uncontrolled: Duration is 1 min/Power Level (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1), Mobile (+1) (42 Active Points); Only for Length of Holy Aura Spell (-1), Linked to Holy Aura I (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only When Serving the Gods Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

PLUS

Sight Group Images, Uncontrolled:Duration is 1 min/Power Level (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Mobile (+1) (30 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Linked to Holy Aura I (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only When Serving the Gods Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

TOTAL Cost=30 points