The Ultimates-Need Ideas...

Dr. MID-Nite

I'm planning to use The ultimates sometime in the near future(one of the PCs is Hunted by them) and need help devising some strategies and tactics for them to use(which I've never been very good at). Whether this be pre-planned traps or actual combat tactics doesn't really matter. For the record, I used a modified version of the group. Members include:

Binder

Blackstar

Cyclone

Tachyon

Anklosaur

Thunderbolt

The heroes in my group include a power armor type, and energy projector, a Mr. Fantastic like stretcher, and a Supergirl clone. Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share.

Rob

Re: The Ultimates-Need Ideas...

combat changes depending on dice rolls but I would match the Ultimates to their opposite number with anyone left over to be used to double team or act as a screen. Definitely use Binder as a sniper to trap characters and try to knock them out of the fight as fast as possible.

I would also try to use blasters at range with any brick as a defensive line.

CES

I don't have Tachyon's stats on hand, but IIRC he's a teleporting brick right?

Well, for starters they ALL have AOEs (Tachyon and Blackstar can chuck cars), so making heavy use of those will eliminate any DCV advantages, though it sounds like all four PCs are more reliant on defenses.

Apart from Blackstar every one of those villains has a lot of movement, and all of them have radio transmit and receive except Thunderbolt. So coordinating attacks should be easy for them. Binder, Blackstar, and Cyclone even have Teamwork as a skill.

Anklysaur's Flashbangs and Binder's Entangles can keep a PC out of the fight without actually knocking them out. That way the other four can concentrate on the remaining PCs.

If you're looking for stuff like the fastball special...

Catch! : Tachyon could teleport behind someone and grab them, and then throw them in front of a held action Blackstar. Then he can cut loose with that STR:80, or Tachyon could just hold and crush until Blackstar catches up. Same deal with Anky and his STR:75 tail and high run speed.

MoveMove By/Through: Between Cyclone and Anklyosaur there's a lot of power in their move bys. They could teamwork on a Moveby (17" run or 20" leap on anky, and 24" flight on cyclone)

And he is out of there!: Have Tachyon or Blackstar throw someone near Anklysaur when Anky has a held action for a tail smack. Not effective, but a good visual.

If there's only four PCs I'd take Tachyon out of the mix. The Ultimates are pretty powerful even with Radium and Slick replaced with just Anky, and if you up Anklyosaur to the 400 point range they should work well (add some slots to his MPP and increase his stats and skills) You also have to play to the groups psych limits and motivations to make it a true role play experience. Assuming you take my advice and drop Tachyon:

Binder will attack anyone pretty or handsome first, and due to his paranoia will probably be all over the hunted hero.

Blackstar will want to get into a knockdown drag out with the strongest PC.

Cyclone's a showoff and has a bit of a complex about his armor, so he'll probably go after the power armor PC.

Thunderbolt is just a jerk and a showoff. He'll probably attack the hunted, and the energy projector to prove just who's best.

Anklyosaur hates authority figures, and he's vengeful. Again, the hunted and any patriot or goody goody types.

It depends on how powerful your group is. Which version of Super girl is this player most like? I actually find Unless the players have back up the Ultimates are a little on the tough side.

You could have Cyclone use his attacks to knock Super girl towards the non flyers. Keep in mind Anklosaur's explosion advantage works better on grounded targets. Have Blackstar toss Mr. Fantastic up towards the sky and peg him off with the ranged shooters like Thunderbolt. There's allot you can do it seems like your version of the Ultimates have a mobility advantage, use that

I feel sorry for Stretch. If I know Bengalelf, and feel I do know him, he hates snipers. Maybe have Binder snipe at him with his Glue gun. Use the Wide Glue-Beam for 4d6. With Stretch's 15 strength, he will not be able to escape it. I would do it quicly though, I know Bengalelf wants to but Martial Escape for Stretch in very near future. :-p

I feel sorry for Stretch. If I know Bengalelf' date=' and feel I do know him, he hates snipers. Maybe have Binder snipe at him with his Glue gun. Use the Wide Glue-Beam for 4d6. With Stretch's 15 strength, he will not be able to escape it. I would do it quicly though, I know Bengalelf wants to but Martial Escape for Stretch in very near future. :-p[/quote']

Strecth IS the one Hunted by them, but I'm not specifically looking to beat the snot outta him or anything. Just want some ideas for when and if I use The Ultimates. I don't really like 5th Ultimates as written, which is why I made the roster changes. Much more interesting group with the new mix IMO...and the new recruits are closer in attitude to the rest of the group. I dropped Slick just because. I've never liked the concept....and still don't.

Rob