Very impressed

Deathdog

I received both Fantasy Hero and Star Hero yesterday, and have been impressed with both thus far. After reading about half of FH, I'm convinced that it is by far the best resource on fantasy campaigns I own. I doubt I will ever actually use the HERO system to play a fantasy game, but the limitless ideas I've gotten so far are worth the price tag.

Originally posted by Polaris

You got FH yesterday and already read half the book?

Well, I'm done reading it now. Good stuff...

As far as the question of why I will never use HERO to run a game, mostly because no one I know would play in it. 99% of the people around here only play D&D, and I had to pull teeth just to run a single Paranoia game.

There's always translating stuff. You could:

A. Use a D&D setting for FH to give the players some familiarity with the world. Learning a new system can be difficult enough. I know a couple of people who post here have done conversions.

B. Integrate some HERO mechanics in your D&D game. Maybe let BAB = OCV, AC-10 = DCV. I know it's not a perfect fit, but it could work. Also, use STUN as a measure of subdual damage the PCs can take, maybe hit points + twice the maximum hit die type for the character [ex. fighter rolls d10, so a fighter with 24 hp has 24 + (2 x 10) = 44 STUN]. Use STUN multipliers so that a sword strike would do 1d8 hp and 1d8 x 1d6-1 STUN (minimum value x1). Allow extra skill points (up to 8) for taking disadvantages. Use disadvantage cost/5 for number of skill points awarded. Or 10 points/disadvantage = 1 extra feat.