Is combat in HERO strategic?

Re: Is combat in HERO strategic?

Le sigh.

Apology accepted, and I understand the nature of your confusion -- I've frequently dealt with (and been married to) non-native English speakers

You've frequently been married to non-native english speakers? Dude, you are the man! How frequently? :D

English, she is the slippery language!

Cheers, Mark

Back to the original question, yes HERO has tactical combat.

Strategy and tactic confuse many people, all games have strategic combat, not all have tactical combat.

Strategy is what you want to accomplish, example destroy the enemy outpost threatening the town of Hamlet.

Tactics, how you accomplish the above.

Hero combat lets you attack and defend at the same time, you choose every move you make and every action you take based on your abilities and creativity. You can be a big brutish barbarian with a gigantic sword yet decide on a whim to leap on a chandelier and swing on it to the foe, land on him and tickle him into submission. It's entirely up to you.

I'm a native english speaker, and sometimes even I don't get english. I won't rehash since it's be handled, but I just want to say if you think this is weird, look at the word cleave. It has two definitions (that I'm aware of) and they are the exact opposites of each other :rolleyes:

For pronuncation, look at -ough. 'nuff said.

Anyways, too keep on topic, hero I would say has some very good tactical elements to it, so if that's what you want out of a game, definitely stick with it. :)

Perhaps the concept of languages could be brought to the NGD? Doubt this is the place for a thesis on the interaction of languages ... right? :)

As for the OP, I love using Hero's tactical system ... gives me an excuse to snag minis and make tent figs ;)

I'm sorry about that but this is the way scales work, even if it's not pleasant.

When you speak about scale you speak about ratio.

And when you speak about tactical and strategical scales you speak about spatial (and temporal) scales.

The spatial part may be translated to a map (2D or 3D.)

If your "scales" are not spatial nor temporal i would be curious to know what kind of mystical scales you spoke about.

I guess what you meant was "scale in common language."

But this common usage is not correct, whatever the way you use it (on a map or not), even if 99% people use it this way.

So when someone refers to "on the scale of galaxys" or "on the scale of the entire universe", they're refering to the ratio? (Answer, not really.)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scale

Scale 3, definition 10: "a certain relative or proportionate size or extent"

Anyway, I'd say that combat in HERO is very much on the tactical scale, and not the strategic. As in most RPGs, it's something of a chore to adjudicate large mass combat.

Fantasy Hero has great mass combat rules, if you haven't picked up the book, do so. It's a huge source material treasure and it covers strategic pretty well.

The reason role playing games slight strategic combat is that you're playing a role (thus the name) and thus you don't exactly care how well the whole battalion is doing: you care how your character is doing.

I think you mean is combat in HERO tactical. Strategic would be more appropriate to a larger scale.

Here is an older article I put up on the subject a while ago:

HERO 5e Combat Tactics

you should say "smaller scale."

1/100 is a smaller scale than 1/10 (because 1/100<1/10) but concerns a larger area.

:D

Strategic is what is planned. Tactical is what happens when the enemy is in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you mean is combat in HERO tactical. Strategic would be more appropriate to a larger scale.

Here is an older article I put up on the subject a while ago:

HERO 5e Combat Tactics

Neat. Cannot rep, must spread. Is there any more of this kind of essay around? Since I have noone to practice on, I would be interested in articles about hero-tactics (when to use what?), just because I like reading that. :) And yes, RPG is nearly always 'tactics' and not 'strategics'.

How strategic is the combat system for HERO? How good is it compared to other RPG battling systems? Are there many options for your character to do? Can you still do things while defending?

Combat is very strategic, even in supers(Champions). Proper battlefield control is essential, especially against a well-organized group of opponents.