Protection Power

revxopher

Hey all, I'm new to the forums.

I'm currently trying to design a power that would allow me to cast a protection on an ally that would transfer any attack made against my ally to me. So in effect, I cast the power on my ally and in combat he is hit with a sword but instead of it hurting him it hurts my character... showing up as a sword wound on me. I'd prefer it if the attack still had to go through my defenses, like Feedback on a Force Wall.

Any thoughts on this?

- rev

Re: Protection Power

Instead of Feedback I think Side Effect is the Limitation you're looking for.

Just take the Side Effect Limitation at a Standard Effect level and define it the way you desribed on whatever defensive ability you apply it to.

The defensive ability itself might require the Usable By Other Advantage as well.

This is quite a powerful ability as it would allow an unarmoured mage to wander around a combat knowing that any attacks directed at him would, instead be diverted to the tank whose armour would apply.

I think that you'd have to purchase something like Forcefield, usable as an attack, Side Effect: caster takes the damge that passes through the forcefield. That could be linked with a Healing power that is triggered on the person protected by the forcefield only when the forcefield is breached. Other limitations would be Can ONLY be used on others and forcefield only protects to the level of armour worn by the caster.

You will have to decide on whether this can be cast at range and how close you and the person protected have to be for this to continue working - currently the situation would be limited by the range of Healing (I think).

Doc

Another possible way to model this ability (for Ranged attacks at least) would be to base it on Missile Deflection.

Full Deflection with

Usable At Range

Uncontrolled

Then Limit with a Side Effect as per my previous post.

It's not going to be 100% effective but NO defense in HERO ever is.

Wouldn't a force wall with feedback be the very thing? You would also need a naked advantage: indirect, useable by others, or your ally could not attack, but basically until the protection is broken by a powerful enough attack, you take the damage that hits him.