Second attempt at posting.

dkellis

I had a much longer post before this one, but for some reason it disappeared. Therefore, I'm trying again.

Several questions, as best as I can remember them, and without the lengthy disclaimer. Short version: I'm not in a game, I'm not likely to ever be in a game using the HERO System (since I know of nobody else in this country of Singapore who is running a game), and I learned the HERO System by inhaling the 5ER rulebook over the course of a week.

I'm currently working on making characters to familiarize myself with the System, possibly due to mild insanity. Any "ask your GM" statements in the rulebook are unhelpful, since, as mentioned, I don't have a GM, nor am I likely to meet one. Therefore, my only hope is to train myself into a GM, somehow. If that's even possible.

My projects thus far are Standard Superheroic characters.

1. What's a good way to signify a magical girl transformation which alters most of her Primary Characteristics (at least the physical ones)? I'm using Multiform; is that acceptable?

2. Only In Heroic ID mentions that it should not be taken with Focus. So if I have a character who transforms to her Heroic ID based on an IIF (which is explicitly stealable), and has powers that can only be used in that (Multiform) Heroic ID, does that count as OIHID, or is it already covered under Multiform and/or Focus?

3. If a DNPC interacts mostly with the alternate form but not with the true civilian form, do I still have to include that DNPC Disadvantage in the civilian form stats?

4. Is it more suitable for a brick with the Armour power to pump most of her points into that, rather than her base PD/ED scores?

5. What powers or situations are likely to raise GM eyebrows when Reduced Endurance 0 is applied? Am I allowed to create a character who uses no endurance whatsoever with her Flight movement and all her Energy Blast/HTH/KA attacks?

There's a few more questions that I had, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Apologies if I seem terse. I'm still annoyed that my multi-paragraph post last night has yet to appear. Nevertheless, advice and help appreciated.

Re: Second attempt at posting.

Apologies if I seem terse. I'm still annoyed that my multi-paragraph post last night has yet to appear. Nevertheless' date=' advice and help appreciated.[/quote']

Sorry about that. The system seems to have gobbled it for some reason. I restored it for you.

Also, welcome aboard! :cheers:

Sometimes the Internet is hungry and eats posts. I often safeguard against that by doing a "Select All", then Copy of the entire post before I click to sent it. Then if the Internet eats it, all I have to do is re-open the post reply page, paste what I copied, and send it again.

:)

I had a much longer post before this one, but for some reason it disappeared. Therefore, I'm trying again.

Several questions, as best as I can remember them, and without the lengthy disclaimer. Short version: I'm not in a game, I'm not likely to ever be in a game using the HERO System (since I know of nobody else in this country of Singapore who is running a game), and I learned the HERO System by inhaling the 5ER rulebook over the course of a week.

I'm currently working on making characters to familiarize myself with the System, possibly due to mild insanity. Any "ask your GM" statements in the rulebook are unhelpful, since, as mentioned, I don't have a GM, nor am I likely to meet one. Therefore, my only hope is to train myself into a GM, somehow. If that's even possible.

My projects thus far are Standard Superheroic characters.

1. What's a good way to signify a magical girl transformation which alters most of her Primary Characteristics (at least the physical ones)? I'm using Multiform; is that acceptable?

2. Only In Heroic ID mentions that it should not be taken with Focus. So if I have a character who transforms to her Heroic ID based on an IIF (which is explicitly stealable), and has powers that can only be used in that (Multiform) Heroic ID, does that count as OIHID, or is it already covered under Multiform and/or Focus?

3. If a DNPC interacts mostly with the alternate form but not with the true civilian form, do I still have to include that DNPC Disadvantage in the civilian form stats?

4. Is it more suitable for a brick with the Armour power to pump most of her points into that, rather than her base PD/ED scores?

5. What powers or situations are likely to raise GM eyebrows when Reduced Endurance 0 is applied? Am I allowed to create a character who uses no endurance whatsoever with her Flight movement and all her Energy Blast/HTH/KA attacks?

There's a few more questions that I had, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Apologies if I seem terse. I'm still annoyed that my multi-paragraph post last night has yet to appear. Nevertheless, advice and help appreciated.

1. Multiform is one method you could use to do this. Multiform is good when the Alterante ID/Form is significantly different from the primary form/ID. Simply adding OIHID to all the Magical Girl Powers is another method.

2. If you're using Multiform then OIHID does not apply to the majority of anything you're doing. You've already defined the Hero ID with completely new character sheet, the Alternate Form should have the IIF.

3. The DNPC could be taken by all Forms in my opinion. DNPC should also take the "DNPC does no know about other ID" option. Both forms feel responsible for the DNPC and therefore it is a valid Disad for both.

4. Armor is a Resistent Defense. Which one you put points into depends on how much rDEF you want on the character. I tend to go with 12-18 rDEF on a brick and a lot more in normal DEF.

5. That's completely dependent on the GM. I have one character who has Reduced END on EVERYTHING and bought their END stat to 0.

5. That's completely dependent on the GM. I have one character who has Reduced END on EVERYTHING and bought their END stat to 0.

I really hope you never have to push anything. That would just suck. Although since your powers are 0end I guess the only thing left to push is STR assuming you haven't bought it 0end as well.

Also in regards to the original post. I would say that just buying all the applicable powers / stats and then placing OHID or IIF is a reasonable way of doing it. It has the benefit of allowing you to over time try and access your powers in your 'normal form' by, buying off the limitation. But if that isn't ever going to be a realistic option for you (ie the SpF/X, would otherwise say that can't happen) then go with Multi power as it will leave you (most likely) with more points to spend on you base character that could come in use.

La Rose

I really hope you never have to push anything. That would just suck. Although since your powers are 0end I guess the only thing left to push is STR assuming you haven't bought it 0end as well.

The Character cannot push, this is true. It has never been an issue.

Their STR, all Movement and every power is bought to 0END. Their END Characteristic is likewise 0.

[*]What's a good way to signify a magical girl transformation which alters most of her Primary Characteristics (at least the physical ones)? I'm using Multiform; is that acceptable?

Welcome Valkyrie ... er, dkellis!

I would go with all powers IIF, and skip both Multiform and OHID.

If she keeps her powers when the transformation object is stolen, but she's already transformed, then that's OHID. The object is just a special effect of the powers, and the fact that it will occasionally be missing or unavailable is just part of the way it works.

Multiform has, what, a 1/5 point cost for powers bought through it? That's intended for characters who have several different forms, and the transform is just one of their powers. It needs GM adjudication when used for just one transform, where the character is spending all their points on it. I'd say that Multiform is inappropriate, it I was the GM, but it's your call.