Doors, locks, and security systems.

:help:

So I'm currently working on designing a base for my superhero teen champions group, and I'm trying to figure out a few things.

How do you build doors?

I know that the walls of the base have the value that you buy them at... but what about doors? I'm thinking of cinderblock walls but having a metal security door.

And along with that... how do you build locks and security systems?

I saw that in the skills section under Lockpicking and Security Systems, that it says that difficult and well made locks or security systems give negatives to skill checks. How do you build that as a feature for your base?

Obviously if anyone has any reference material with more detailed rules and suggestions on base design, if you can point me towards them I'll be happy to read up.

- revxopher

Re: Doors, locks, and security systems.

Ultimate Skill has a whole host of various security systems written up in it.

Doors, unless you plan on having them have a different DEF value, they're Special Effects. If they do have different DEF then do this:

DEF 1 (DEF of doors)

+DEF 2 (DEF of Walls); Limitation: Only Applies to Walls.

Essentially it's a Partially Limited Power, only part of the DEF applies to the structure (namely all of it to the walls and doors, and only some extra to the walls)

Ultimate Skill has a whole host of various security systems written up in it.

Doors, unless you plan on having them have a different DEF value, they're Special Effects. If they do have different DEF then do this:

DEF 1 (DEF of doors)

+DEF 2 (DEF of Walls); Limitation: Only Applies to Walls.

Essentially it's a Partially Limited Power, only part of the DEF applies to the structure (namely all of it to the walls and doors, and only some extra to the walls)

Nice, never thought of limiting the doors.

If you insist on statting out the quality of the locks and security system, you could go with a Change Environment that encompasses the base and modifies skill checks on Lockpicking, Security Systems, and any other relevant intrusion skills.

Ghost Angel already covered the doors for you.

If you insist on statting out the quality of the locks and security system, you could go with a Change Environment that encompasses the base and modifies skill checks on Lockpicking, Security Systems, and any other relevant intrusion skills.

Ghost Angel already covered the doors for you.

Personally, I'd just buy the base the Skills themselves.

building the security systems: depends on what you mean by "security systems" if you just want various types of intrusion alarms, a simple security systems skill will suffice.

Cameras and the like are a bit more complex. Check out Champions for some base builds.

Just to quickly follow up on g-a's initial post: The Ultimate Skill, pages 268-292, has writeups of dozens of types of security systems and related devices -- it's the longest description of any Skill in the book. If you buy the Hero Designer Character Pack for the book you can just copy the HD files for them right into the file for your Base. ;)