Shard

Bengalelf

As I do with all my villains, I wait for Storn to finish drawings of them before I write them up. The same is true for Shard. I would like to ask for help with a few of his powers, I am having trouble thinking how to make some of his powers work, and I can think of no better place than these discussion boards, so here goes.

First I would like him to have missile deflection versus light based attacks, how would I do it so that he doesn’t have to use an action. Since his body is made up of glass this power should be instant and not require an action, how should this be bought?

Second, I am considering giving him the following power: Like Hitting Glass; Killing Attack- Hand –to –Hand 2d6(3d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (O END, +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (offensive; +3/4) (82 active points). If I am correct with the damage shield having the advantage Offensive, he can use the damage shield as an attack, as well as anyone hitting him taking the damage. I am correct? I am trying to represent that he is made up of a broken glass, and people will be cut if they hit him or are hit by him.

Third, since he is composed of Glass, I think he would sound like glass breaking when he walks; makes stealth rolls impossible for him. To represent this I am thinking of doing a Disadvantage: Physical Limitation: Sounds like Breaking Glass When He Walks; +2 to PER rolls to hear him. (All the Time, Greatly Impairing). Any thoughts on this? How would other people represent this?

I would apprentice any help people can give.

Re: Shard

First I would like him to have missile deflection versus light based attacks, how would I do it so that he doesn’t have to use an action. Since his body is made up of glass this power should be instant and not require an action, how should this be bought?

Tricky. You could do it with the Trigger advantage and whole ton of other mods, but for so many points you could just as easily give him 75% energy damage reduction and/or ED armor that only work vs. light attacks. For the 60-80 points I suspect the Missile Deflection would cost you'd get a whole lot of invulnerability vs. light attacks, and my instinct is always to go for the simple solution.

Second, I am considering giving him the following power: Like Hitting Glass; Killing Attack- Hand –to –Hand 2d6(3d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (O END, +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (offensive; +3/4) (82 active points). If I am correct with the damage shield having the advantage Offensive, he can use the damage shield as an attack, as well as anyone hitting him taking the damage. I am correct? I am trying to represent that he is made up of a broken glass, and people will be cut if they hit him or are hit by him.

That seems about right, though some purists might argue that Damage Shields should only be applied to ranged attacks. I'd personally do it as two separate powers in an elemental control; the RKA damage shield and the HKA. For that matter I'd probably stick the armor and damage reduction vs light attacks only in the EC too even though that's not entirely kosher.

Third, since he is composed of Glass, I think he would sound like glass breaking when he walks; makes stealth rolls impossible for him. To represent this I am thinking of doing a Disadvantage: Physical Limitation: Sounds like Breaking Glass When He Walks; +2 to PER rolls to hear him. (All the Time, Greatly Impairing). Any thoughts on this? How would other people represent this?

I would apprentice any help people can give.

It wouldn't be limiting ALL THE TIME. Only when he was trying to be stealthy.But you should add distinctive features that can't be concealed.

You are into some gray areas here as the Hero System usually has multiple ways to do things.

Under Missile Deflection there are rules for using the Uncontrolled Advantage on Missile Deflection. You could also use Persistent to aviod the limitations of Uncontrolled but I think this may require GM approval.

As the Persistent Advantage warns GMs from allowing Persistent to be taken for Attack Powers and the Damage Shield Advantage requires a power to be Constant or Continuous, I think you are stuck with Continuous unless you have special GM approval.

The broken glasss sound while moving sounds more like Distinctive Features to me also.

I hope that helps. Cool sounding idea by the way.

...First I would like him to have missile deflection versus light based attacks' date=' how would I do it so that he doesn’t have to use an action. Since his body is made up of glass this power should be instant and not require an action, how should this be bought? [/quote']

I think the previous idea of extra rED only vs light based/radiant energy attacks would be much more efficient than trying an automatic missile deflection. Especially if you GM will allow you to buy up an extra +40 or so, effectively neutralizing all but the largest attacks. You'll also need KB resistance to simulate the "passing through harmlessly" effect.

Alternatively, you could buy a lot of extra DCV vs. those same attacks. With a +6 DCV virtually no laser beam will be able to get a bead on you.

On the Missile Deflection question, I would first go with Log-Man's second suggestion: give him a bunch of DCV levels, only vs. light-based attacks. However, I would also consider buying Missile Deflection for those times he wants to stand in front of a laser blast (aimed at a teammate, for example) and cause it to go astray. That one, I wouldn't make automatic, however.

As to the Damage Shield, you need to add Continuous, and I think you should keep it Persistent if you want it to work even when he's stunned or unconscious. If it's something he can't control (IOW he can't touch someone without hurting them), you could add Always On to the mix.

Regarding the breaking glass sound, I'd agree that a Physical Limitation (and a Distinctive Feature) would be in order, though I agree with gmurie that it's not All the Time. Also, a +2 to others' PER to hear you may or may not be Greatly Impairing; that's a GM call.

The extra dcv levels won't really cut it v Area Effect attacks so I would just rack up his ED only v light. Buying Missile deflection on top of that is a good idea too.

Even though he can't ever walk without making noise often it won't limit him and it isn't that limiting. I would class that as no more than a 10 point disad.

You might consider buying invisibilty only when underwater.