How to build: A gorup of coordinated Men as a single "entity" (Charactersheet)

jaws

Well i have a party of high powered high fantasy characters I cant really chalenge them with normal soldiers and stuff (in small numbers), but I wanted to see how they will fare against a large group of trained coordinated men. Power level is between 375 - 425 points, though the way they are spread out they are build more as a "Batman" than a full fledged super, so i have a very versatile team more than a super powered one.

So the objective is, I want to see how they fare against "many average opponents" as in 10 to 1 (IOW 50) trained soldiers. Well equipped and slightly better than average soldiers but not really special. However I really don't want the fight to drag on forever, managing 50 individual men. So I was thinking of making the force of men as various "units" of 5 men (a la SWARM). The idea is each unit is a single char sheet and they act in highly trained tactical unison. Alone they are week but together they work in an excellent team ending up with 10 "units" of 5 men each all working as a coordinated force.

So how do I make each "group" as a single entity with that can be managed as a single character but has the SFX of a group of men?

Examples: As the players hack away at a units numbers its ability to fight is slowly weakened until it is entirely broken or the remaining men flee

A beat up unit can combine with another similar unit to reform the 5 man combat team.

etc.

PS: Sorry for the longwindedness of the question ;)

Re: How to build: A gorup of coordinated Men as a single "entity" (Charactersheet)

There was an old Adventurers Club that talked about this. Groups of troops were represented as a limited form of character sheet, if recall correctly.

Oh, and 5th Ed. Fantasy Hero has mass combat rules on pages 200-218. It's pretty much what you're talking about.

Re: How to build: A gorup of coordinated Men as a single "entity" (Charactersheet)

Like the mass combat for unit vs unit, however the idea here is unit vs. char. I will however take in to consideration a few of the ideas in there that do apply

You could pretty much use the mass combat rules as written. The units would get a slight damage bonus, and the PC's would have to beat down their morale to defeat them (and once a unit breaks, well over half of it is dead or potentially dying...pretty much like most combats would end anyway if they were run with the regular rules).

Basically, the PC's are each a unit of one, and they're fighting enemy units of five or ten or so.