What advantages apply when calculating DCs?

GMumford

While calculating the damage classes per die for a power, I was going through the list of advantages on the sidebar of page 404 and wondered what exactly is the criteria for determining what advantages apply.

What exactly does "directly affect how the victim takes damage" mean?

Why is Armor Piercing listed on the "likely" list and Penetrating on the "in some instances" list, but the first paragraph says Indirect does not apply? I can understand Indirect as defined as coming from a different orgin, but shouldn't Indirect defined as bypassing an opponents defenses apply as much as AVLD or NND?

Would Range advantages apply? After all, if the victim isn't in range, he's not going to take damage.

Perhaps the question, "Which advantages most definitely do not apply?" would be easier to answer. I certainly agree with that first paragraph about Reduced Endurance.

Re: What advantages apply when calculating DCs?

While calculating the damage classes per die for a power, I was going through the list of advantages on the sidebar of page 404 and wondered what exactly is the criteria for determining what advantages apply.

Why is Armor Piercing listed on the "likely" list and Penetrating on the "in some instances" list, but the first paragraph says Indirect does not apply? I can understand Indirect as defined as coming from a different orgin, but shouldn't Indirect defined as bypassing an opponents defenses apply as much as AVLD or NND?

Would Range advantages apply? After all, if the victim isn't in range, he's not going to take damage.

Perhaps the question, "Which advantages most definitely do not apply?" would be easier to answer. I certainly agree with that first paragraph about Reduced Endurance.

Not going to comment on most right now, but I will say that using indirect to bypass a defence is really a f/x for a AVLD attack not an Indiect

The side-bar on page 404 does not have an "in some instances" list. The only modifier indicated as "in some instances", Megascale, is in the middle of the list. (Alphabetical order and all that.) The reason Megascale is "in some instances" is that while Megascale Area counts (as Area Effect does), Megascale Range doesn't (as Range doesn't).

I'm working on "The Return of the 1" Half Move!" because somebody is such an idiot!

I can honestly believe that 5th Edition wouldn't/couldn't 'define' such a basic game mechanic!!!!! That they did it with some 'No Brainer' list w/ an error/ omission on Indirect as AVLD or whatever, and cap it off with "oh, you can decide"-like "recommendations" Alright, let's keep only half the broken rules! I shudder to think how they might don't/can't "balance" characters of different power levels with a simple limit on Combat Skill Modifiers...

I'm working on "The Return of the 1" Half Move!" because somebody is such an idiot!

I can honestly believe that 5th Edition wouldn't/couldn't 'define' such a basic game mechanic!!!!! That they did it with some 'No Brainer' list w/ an error/ omission on Indirect as AVLD or whatever, and cap it off with "oh, you can decide"-like "recommendations" Alright, let's keep only half the broken rules! I shudder to think how they might don't/can't "balance" characters of different power levels with a simple limit on Combat Skill Modifiers and Max. DC, 'Def Rating', DEX, SPD and Skill Roll, or do they????????????

'Def Rating' would be Max. PD or ED, penalized by CV/ 1/2 CSL, other defenses or more than half Resistant? Tell me all the limits, in their wisdom, they've included, and I'll help you figure out the book so you can create an 'Ultimate' 350 pt. like the Fox- Max. DC, DEX, SPD and CSL-Psychic Force and Mutant Physiology EC's (simple yet cost effective enough to 'Max out'?), or Golden Girl w/ her many, 'Ideal' Forms- Gold Girl, the Golden Bombshell-(x8, 16 or 12? D.I., x2 Size, 8 ft. tall, All Defenses, most at Max., reduntant if limited, etc. for "Base Form, reverts to") Golden Girl-(Day Only Light Powers, Abilities, Heightened Senses, Ltd. Combat Skills w/ Max. DEX and SPD.) Giant Girl-(at least x 32 size, 20 ft., often more, Night Only w/ Heightened Senses, Uncontrollable Transformation could be 'built into' Gold Girl (losing her Golden DI based Armor, FF and LS) but should have distinctive, cost effective powers and abilities, Very Effective & Strong, Attack is the best defense! ) and her 'Avenging Angel' and 'Faerie' forms (Flying, Teleporting Taxis and Healers, 1 is an Aerial Combatant, the other has Desolid and Shrinking, 1 at day and 1 at night. or what more do you need? 5th edition limits, that's all!!

I'm sorry to step in here... but

What the heck are you talking about and how does this apply to the question presented?

If a character buys a Movement Power with only 1” of movement, can he make Half Moves with it?

Generally, no — except for STR-based Leaping, there’s no real provision in the rules for only moving in 1/2” increments. However, the GM could allow it if he wanted to, and a Half Move of 1” would be possible if the character moved at Noncombat velocity.

Interesting FAQ answer; let me apologize in advance if this pertains to a previous conversation.

Are you speaking of a specific case as 'generally'?

haven't we, since 1982, 'allowed' a Half Move with as little as 1" of Running, the most 'General' Movement Power? In which case, a true statement would be "Generally, yes — except for..."?

Shouldn't an 'NCM for a Full Half Move' only be required for a ½ " move, 'obviously enough' ?

If a character buys a Movement Power with only 1” of movement, can he make Half Moves with it?

Generally, no — except for STR-based Leaping, there’s no real provision in the rules for only moving in 1/2” increments. However, the GM could allow it if he wanted to, and a Half Move of 1” would be possible if the character moved at Noncombat velocity.

Interesting FAQ answer; let me apologize in advance if this pertains to a previous conversation.

Are you speaking of a specific case as 'generally'?

haven't we, since 1982, 'allowed' a Half Move with as little as 1" of Running, the most 'General' Movement Power? In which case, a true statement would be "Generally, yes — except for..."?

Shouldn't an 'NCM for a Full Half Move' only be required for a ½ " move, 'obviously enough' ?

That's great - start a new thread. This thread asked about Advantages and Damage Classes.

Earth has 4 corner simultaneous 4-day time cube in only 1 Earth rotation?

Ego attacks on your fellow board members is not appreciated...don't let it happen again or I will call a moderator =)

Yet another argument for separating some advantages out so they do not increase active cost. Call them "modifiers" or something generic, but not all advantages should increase active cost, END Cost, or range (for that matter range should be divorced from active cost, but that's another topic).

Yet another argument for separating some advantages out so they do not increase active cost. Call them "modifiers" or something generic' date=' but not all advantages should increase active cost, END Cost, or range (for that matter range should be divorced from active cost, but that's another topic).[/quote']

Awhile ago I house ruled that all range (including AE) is based of Base Points, works well for me...

I am sorry to add to the mess but there is some scary stuff going on here.

As far as the original post goes I can see your point and I am going to avoid saying it is up to the GM to determine what is directly affecting. So since I am not going to say that I will reiterate, you got a point there.