[Villain] Gigamax

Certified

Okay, I'm putting this one up for some general feedback. The character sheet has been hidden along with the feedback questions. If you are playing in the Metahumans Rising game on Hero Central you likely don't want to look.

Background/History: Although this giant mechanized menace seems to be a patchwork of odds and ends you are looking at a collection of some of the most advanced cybernetics and cutting edge ballistic technologies. Standing at over thirty feet tall this devastating machine comes equipped with two Variant Array Artillery Cannons with multi-function sabot rounds, and a MK 8.22 Photon Light Blaster. An upgrade from our hand held models with three times the punch and thanks to the Gigamax’s improved radiation shielding the Radiation Burst offers little problem to the hardware itself. Tied together with one of the worlds most advanced Combat Computers and Sensory systems. Additionally, you have the standards that have made our benefactor’s what it is today including a Micro-Nuke Vectored Rocket Pack and Deep Space Modules for whatever your needs my be.

Appearance: The silver-gray body of this robot stands with a kind of sleek grace even with its bulky size and multiple external weapons. It is clear that this beast of a machine was designed for two things: To cause destruction on a global scale and to look good doing it. Image located at: http://www.gearsonline.net/btech/mechs.php

From reading the text presented is it clear that that one can target the weapon's systems and sensors?

Below is the actual current build if you want to take a look. As I understand Focus the Gigamax should be able to be stripped down with targeted attacks. However, I've been very wrong about these things before so below it be.

Gigamax Combat Robot

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 50 21- Lift 102.4tons; 12d6 [6]

15 DEX 15 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

50 CON 80 19-

50 BODY 80 19-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

35 PRE 0 16- PRE Attack: 7d6

16 COM 3 12-

15+20 PD 3 Total: 15/35 PD (0/20 rPD)

10+20 ED 0 Total: 10/30 ED (0/20 rED)

6 SPD 35 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

22 REC 0

100 END 0

105 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 302

Movement: Running: 10"/20"

Flight: 31"/124"

Leaping: 12"/24"

Swimming: 5"/10"

Cost Powers END

55 Variant Array Artillery Cannons : Energy Blast 9d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +½), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (112 Active Points); OIF Fragile (-¾), Requires A Skill Roll (Must make Power Skill Rol to Change SFX; -½) 11

Notes: (x2 number of items)DEF 22 Variant Array Artillery Cannons : Penetrating the Defense regardless of Body Disables 1 Power inside the Foci starting with e most expensive. Stun Only option provided for operating in Safety Mode.

42 MK 8.22 Photon Light Blaster: Multipower, 84-point reserve, all slots STUN Only (+0), Required Hands One-Handed (+0) (84 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1)

Notes: DEF 18 MK 8.22 Photon Light Blaster: Multipower Penetrating the Defense regardless of Body Disables 1 Power inside the Foci starting with e most expensive. Stun Only option provided for operating in Safety Mode.

8u 1) Concussion Blast : Energy Blast 8d6+1, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (84 Active Points) 8

8u 2) Plasma Field: Energy Blast 7d6+1, Area Of Effect (16" Cone; +1 ¼) (83 Active Points) 8

8u 3) Cutting Laser: Energy Blast 6 ½d6, Armor Piercing (+½), Area Of Effect (20" Line; +1) (82 Active Points) 8

5u 4) Radiation Burst : Energy Blast 5d6+1, No Normal Defense ([standard]; Immunity

to Radiation; +1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (81 Active Points); No Range (-½) 8

50 Armor (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+¼) (75 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-½) 0

41 Micro-Nuke Vectored Rocket Pack: Flight 31", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (72 Active Points); OIF Fragile (-¾) 7

Notes: DEF 14 Micro-Nuke Vectored Rocket Pack: Flight Penetrating the Defense regardless of Body Disables 1 Power inside the Foci starting with e most expensive.

45 Deep Space Modules/ Robot Package: Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep) 0

30 Reach Out and Touch Someone: Stretching 3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (30 Active Points) 0

12 Intimidating Giant Robot: +25 PRE (25 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Pre Attacks Only; -1)

25 Giant Robot Fists: Naked Advantage: Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +½) for up to 50 Active Points, Linked (Reach Out and Touch Someone; Lesser Power need not be used proportionally to Power with which it is Linked; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use; +0) (25 Active Points) 2

20 Not Going Anywhere: Knockback Resistance -10" 0

Sensor Array, all slots OAF Durable (-1)

Notes: DEF 16 Sensor Array: Penetrating the Defense regardless of Body Disables 1 Power inside the Foci starting with e most expensive. Note: All Foci Powers are Linked to the Threat Assessment Systems: Find Weakness. Disabling this power interrupts all others.

20 1) Radar (Radio Group), +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Rapid: x10, Telescopic: +1, Tracking, Transmit (46 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Linked (Threat Assessment Systems; -¼) 0

18 2) Radio Receiver: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group), +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Rapid: x10, Targeting (40 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Linked (Threat Assessment Systems; -¼) 0

17 3) Threat Assessment Systems: Find Weakness 12- with All Attacks (35 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1) 0

6 4) Combat Analyzer: Analyze: Combat 15- (15 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Linked (Threat Assessment Systems; -½)

6 5) Tactical Programming: Power 15- (15 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Linked (Threat Assessment Systems; -½)

4 6) Defensive Combat Programming: Defense Maneuver I-IV (10 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Linked (Threat Assessment Systems; -½)

0 for up to 70 Active Points of Str, STUN Only (+0) (0 Active Points) 0

Notes: This option provided for operating in Safety Mode.

Talents

26 Universal Translator 18-

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

12 Weapons Systems: +3 with a broadly-defined category of attacks

9 Cryptography 15-

5 Hoist 13-

17 Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Air/Space Traffic Control Systems, Dimensional Sensors, FTL Sensors, Metal Detectors, Radar, Sensor Jamming Equipment, Sonar) 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 498

Total Cost: 800

650+ Disadvantages

15 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Bound by Logic (Common, Moderate)

15 Social Limitation: Android (Very Frequently, Minor)

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

25 Susceptibility: Destroyed Sensor Array 3d6 damage per Turn (Common)

15 Susceptibility: Water 1d6 damage per Turn (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN From Water (Uncommon)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY From Water (Uncommon)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN From Electricity (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect From Water (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 800

Re: [Villain] Gigamax

Will Gigamax fight other robots or tanks, or will he be placed against superheroes? With a DEX of 15 and only 3 skill levels he might not hit them so well. Or did I miss anything? Area effect attacks are always useful, but the heroes are usually highly mobile and quick.

Will Gigamax fight other robots or tanks' date=' or will he be placed against superheroes? With a DEX of 15 and only 3 skill levels he might not hit them so well. Or did I miss anything? Area effect attacks are always useful, but the heroes are usually highly mobile and quick.[/quote']

Right now the Gigamax is planned as a for for a team of heroes with Dex's around 18-23 and DCV's in the 6-10 range. The Gigamax also has multiple AoE attacks for fun with collateral damage.

- - -

Bubbasmith:There's something weird with the page formating I went in to remove the extra spoiler button and it added another one. All the text is there however.

Well, he's got a lot of AoE attacks in his gun, but only two of them will do any significant damage against your typical super. The AOE (one hex) on 50 out of his 60 STR is a bit more useful, but he's still not going to Stun anyone any time soon. But the Find Weakness helps significantly.

He's actually got pretty low defenses overall, considering he has a DCV of 5 (should be even less since he's over 30' tall).

STUN Only as a naked advantage for 70 (?) STR is not gonna fly though...

Well, he's got a lot of AoE attacks in his gun, but only two of them will do any significant damage against your typical super. The AOE (one hex) on 50 out of his 60 STR is a bit more useful, but he's still not going to Stun anyone any time soon. But the Find Weakness helps significantly.

He's actually got pretty low defenses overall, considering he has a DCV of 5 (should be even less since he's over 30' tall).

STUN Only as a naked advantage for 70 (?) STR is not gonna fly though...

The Variant Array Artillery Cannons have a variable SFX the thought was along with the Armor Piercing and Find Weakness that would make the damage attached there fairly significant even if not a ton of dice. As for the multipower my thoughts were it could serve to soften things up as the Gigamax tunes in it's Artillery. As for PD and ED I left them a bit lower and left out things like Damage Reduction because of the Stun and Rec totals.

I can pull the Stun only Advantage...

The Variant Array Artillery Cannons have a variable SFX the thought was along with the Armor Piercing and Find Weakness that would make the damage attached there fairly significant even if not a ton of dice.

Variable SFX's combat value tends to depend on two factors:

- How common Vulnerabilities are in the game, which obviously varies a great deal from game to game and from team to team. So that one is hard to judge from where I'm sitting.

- How easily your character can detect such Vulnerabilities. Most GM's don't allow Find Weakness to detect such things. Many GM's frown on abilites like "Sturctural and Cellular Analysis: Detect Vulnerability" since they consider it metagaming. Gigamax lacks things like KS: Superhuman World, KS: Alien Phsyiology or other skills that may let him determine such Vulnerabilities.

Personally, I tend to find Variable Advantage works best with a high powered Telepth on the team, assuming the target knows what hurts him most. But a lot depends on GMing style. Some GM's just never seem to drop hints about disadvantages, so you need to have something in your control that tells you how to make the use of Variable SFX. Otherwise you just end up playing the guessing game.

I will note that that's going to be one extremely RSR to make since it's -11.

As for Double AP, it usually ends up being a waste of points IMX, but that depends on how defenses are done in the game.

If you are using 110 AP attacks, I expect something like that to bounce pretty harmlessly off most of the tough opponents, because even with Halved defenses they STILL won't take anything significant from a 9d6 EB.

Of course Double AP is overkill on anything with light to moderate defenses, who might take a fair amount of Stun (if he hits), but will only be stunned if they have a CON less than 23 or so.

Stacking that together with Find Weakness changes things a bit, but it's only going to take a few points of Lack of Weakness to mess up that tactic since you only have a 12-

I'd seriously considerer giving it a higher dice attack with minimal advantages. Not that a 12d6 punch is anything to sneeze at, especially after a successful Find Weakness.

As for the multipower my thoughts were it could serve to soften things up as the Gigamax tunes in it's Artillery. As for PD and ED I left them a bit lower and left out things like Damage Reduction because of the Stun and Rec totals.

Keep in mind big targets tend to get ganged up on and, since they have crap for DCV, people use Autofire, Rapid Fire and Sweep liberally.

Also, and I haven't taken the time to do all the math here, but at first glance the character might run into END issues in protracted battle, depending on if he takes extra Recoveries...

I have to agree looking at it Find Weakness does not seem right to detect vulnerabilities. Yes, okay, maybe Superman III is not the best place to look for inspiration for super computers but I liked the concept of detecting and recreating the target's weakness. There has to be other examples out there but how many include Richard Pryor? From your post one way I thought to build the power might look like this:

25 Sturctural and Cellular Analysis: Detect: Vulnerabilities A Class Of Things 11- (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Targeting 0

To do the Detect justice my basic thought is that the Detect Vulnerability simply tells the user yes there is a Vulnerability present. To actually pair down what this weakness was I added Discriminatory, Analyze and Targeting. Any thoughts?

might look like this:

25 Sturctural and Cellular Analysis: Detect: Vulnerabilities A Class Of Things 11- (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Targeting 0

To do the Detect justice my basic thought is that the Detect Vulnerability simply tells the user yes there is a Vulnerability present. To actually pair down what this weakness was I added Discriminatory, Analyze and Targeting. Any thoughts?

plus, to justify such a gross power, make the player buy appropriate

skills, such as anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, etc.

so as to interpret the results