a limited mimic power

Jim

I'm coming back to Champions after a half-life break (I stopped playing in 1986), so be kind in your responses to what is probably an ignorant question.

I'm building a character whose secondary powers are telepathy and (through that telepathy) an ability to mimic an opponent's energy blast. What I would like to do is just buy an energy blast power, and have a variable special effect based on the special effect of his opponent's energy blast, and require a telepathic roll in order to activate the power. Is it legal to have a varied special effect in this way? I can see potential exploitation issues, what with the different vulnerbilities of opponents. Do you see other pitfalls?

A caveat: I don't have the 5eR rules, just Sidekick 5eR (probably wait until 6e comes out or until I become re-obsessed with Champions), but if there are ways to do this under the 5eR rules, I would love to hear them. From what I understand, some people build mimic-powers as a VPP, but I would like to aviod that, if possible, since it just seems overkill for one power.

What do you all think? How would you build this power?

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Re: a limited mimic power

I'm coming back to Champions after a half-life break (I stopped playing in 1986), so be kind in your responses to what is probably an ignorant question.

I'm building a character whose secondary powers are telepathy and (through that telepathy) an ability to mimic an opponent's energy blast. What I would like to do is just buy an energy blast power, and have a variable special effect based on the special effect of his opponent's energy blast, and require a telepathic roll in order to activate the power. Is it legal to have a varied special effect in this way? I can see potential exploitation issues, what with the different vulnerbilities of opponents. Do you see other pitfalls?

A caveat: I don't have the 5eR rules, just Sidekick 5eR (probably wait until 6e comes out or until I become re-obsessed with Champions), but if there are ways to do this under the 5eR rules, I would love to hear them. From what I understand, some people build mimic-powers as a VPP, but I would like to aviod that, if possible, since it just seems overkill for one power.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Exploiting the vulnerabilities of various others is acknowledged as pretty much the point of Variable SFX, so don't worry about that. Just realize that Variable SFX alone isn't going to distinguish a mimicry of Zero's armor-piercing blast from a mimicry of Captain Yuck's AoE Cone EB from a mimicry of Mister Evil's Continuous, No Range RKA. In other words, EBs are distinguished from each other at least as much by advantages (and limitations) as by SFX. You'll probably want at least a large Variable Advantage advantage to go with that Variable Special Effects advantage.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

In case it isn't in Sidekick, there's an Advantage "Variable Special Effects", costing +1/4 if the special effect must come from a Limited Group {"(for example, all heat/cold special effects or any magic special effect)"}, and +1/2 for any special effect.

To make it depend on telepathy the way you want, you'd need to by Variable Special Effects as a Naked Advantage, and put the Limitation RSR on it. If Sidekick doesn't explain Naked Advantages, please ask for a further explanation. :)

I had a character with variable special effects. Bill would target vulnerabilities instead of copying the other person's energy blast power.

I agree that you can build a power with variable effects based on a telepathic roll. Should be a snap.

CES

Building it from a VPP is an expensive way to do it. The Energy Blast with the variable effect advantage is probably your best bet. In addition, having an Power that you can only use when copying someone else's ability is a major limitation, so take that into account for your calculations.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! I built out the powers (telepathy and EB) using HeroDesigner and it's detailed below. I would appreciate any comments on the build and use of advantages and limitations. Am I being too conservative/liberal with the modifiers? How do you think this will play out in the game? Again, the goal is to "copy" the EB of someone else with whom my character has a telepathic link. So, here it is:

20 Telepathic Osmosis: Telepathy 5d6 (Human class of minds) (25 Active Points); Normal Range (Mind must be in vincinity; -1/4)

35 Blast by Osmosis: Energy Blast 10d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Only the special effects of those with established telepathic link; +1/4) (62 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Only Works with established Telpathic Link at +0 level AND linked subject must have non-focus EB power (-1/2), Limited Power Power limited to power level of linked subject (-1/4)

Jim

Unless EBs are relatively common' date=' I would think that the Conditional Power would be worth (-3/4) or (-1).[/quote']

I think it would depend on the campaign; there's no one to play with at the moment. :(

As it's conceptionalized and operationalized (i.e. built), though, I can copy the EB of an ally to use on an enemy. In other words, in any one fight I can get a willing link and Osmotic Blast from the Happy Blastin' Good Guy, as well as an unwilling link and Blast from the Evil Dr. EB.

What do you others think?

Jim

checkSIDEKICKS for a mimic power

There's a mimicry skill, but no power... :confused:

I don't see a problem but do agree that -0 is not enough for the limit put on. CES

What would you put for the following limitations on this EB:

1. Conditional Power -- Power Only Works with established Telpathic Link at +0 level

Once the link is established, I can use the power (provided condition 2 is met, of course). I don't have to re-establish the link each time to use it.

2. Conditional Power -- linked subject must have non-focus EB power (i.e. power doesn't derive from armor or gun, etc.).

I was originally thinking -1/4 each, but should they be -1/2 each?

Jim

What's the special effect for this? Could you copy Iron Man's repulsor rays? What about Captain America's shield toss? Scarlet Witch's hex waves?

That telepathy doesn't look powerful enough to do a whole lot. Are you okay with just picking up surface thoughts from weak-willed people?

What's the special effect for this? Could you copy Iron Man's repulsor rays? What about Captain America's shield toss? Scarlet Witch's hex waves?

That telepathy doesn't look powerful enough to do a whole lot. Are you okay with just picking up surface thoughts from weak-willed people?

No on Iron Man's reulsors and no on the shield toss, but yes on the hex waves. It's only EBs that come inherently from the person him- or herself, not from something that comes from a focus.

The telepathy might indeed not be powerful enough, but this is a beginning character that is not a mentalist (to say the least). This is a secondary power. I'll have to test this build in combat to see how useful it is.

Jim

Good point on only being able to mimic "inherent" energy blast powers. Not technology-oriented EB's (maybe even magic-oriented).

I would say yes to the -1/2 disads Jim. To be honest, I don't know if you even want telepathy if all you're doing is copying someone else. If you're doing someone like Rogue where you're also stealing the mind of the target, I can see it. If you're doing someone like Taskmaster, where you are just copying someone else's ability, you might only need to buy LOS on the target to be copied.

Additionally I think mental defense and breakout rolls will cut your powers off in the middle of combat if you're not careful.

CES

I would say yes to the -1/2 disads Jim. To be honest, I don't know if you even want telepathy if all you're doing is copying someone else. If you're doing someone like Rogue where you're also stealing the mind of the target, I can see it. If you're doing someone like Taskmaster, where you are just copying someone else's ability, you might only need to buy LOS on the target to be copied.

Additionally I think mental defense and breakout rolls will cut your powers off in the middle of combat if you're not careful.

CES

Got to stay true to the concept! :) This character (The Fighting Banana Slug, aka Sluggie) radically evolved from a "lesser being" (i.e. a banana slug) and part of the evolution involved learning skills and language through social osmosis (aka passive transmission of knowledge). I wanted to take that to the extreme and have Sluggie be able to perform EBs acquired through the same passive transmition. Telepathy seemed the best pathway, and since Sluggie cannot talk, the best way for him to communicate, as well.

And yeah, I know there are downsides to this way of operationalizing the concept. But it seems the best way, so far. I'm still fiddling... :rolleyes:

Jim