Cop-enforced gladiatorial games for gangs?

Sociotard

From the Freakonomics blog:

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/how-cops-really-want-to-police/

We like to play gladiator. You know what I mean? Let two gangs beat each other up without weapons, and the winner gets to deal on the corner. Or, we grab a bunch of muggers, or maybe two crews who steal cars, and tell them, “Okay, you all fight each other — the one still standing gets to avoid jail.” I know: it sounds awful, but believe me, this really works.
Frankly, all the ideas in this article (all of which are purportedly given by police officers) would horrify me in the real world . . . but might be interesting for a DC game.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cop-enforced gladiatorial games for gangs?

A urban legend in Chicago is that hookers would be rounded up. Then at 4am taken to an alley off of Mag Mile that has a HUGE rat population. The "girls of the night" would then be forced to walk among the rats out for their evening meal. The story says that it reduced the amount of girls walking the streets with no paper work.

The above is an Chicago urban legend mind you........