How to build ?

StationX

If you want to do it in a more complicated way, usually in these either/or situations you can use a multipower.

Invisibility: Multipower, 40 Point Reserve (AP 40)

1u) Controlled Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, and Smell/Taste Groups, No Fringe (AP 40); Only Versus EGO/10 Persons At One Time (-1), (RC2) [this is psychic invisibility from Star Hero]

2u) Uncontrolled Invisiblity: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, and Smell/Taste Groups, No Fringe (AP 40); (RC 4)

What do you mean by only visible to his target? Under what conditions would someone be considered a target? If anyone could be chosen, I guess that would be some sort of small enhancement.

Originally posted by Snarf

What do you mean by only visible to his target? Under what conditions would someone be considered a target? If anyone could be chosen, I guess that would be some sort of small enhancement.

I can see where this would sometimes be advantageous - we're fighting Big Ugly Megavillain, so I'll be invisible only to him, and not to my teammates.

But it seems to me it's generally limiting, as it's more common to encounter multiple foes. "Hmmm, my teammate FlameBoy acts like he can't see that guy. I'll help him out. " zzzaaap!!

In a fantasy campaign, how often will it be as useful to be invisible to ONE orc, rather than to all the orcs? Only when just one orc is there!

Use Variable Limitation, with the available limitations for selection being "only versus target" and "not usable versus target". Figure out an appropriate value for each of those; halve the smaller one and you've got the value for the Variable Limitation. If we assign both of those a -1 value, you'd be looking at a -1/2 limitation.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

In a fantasy campaign, how often will it be as useful to be invisible to ONE orc, rather than to all the orcs? Only when just one orc is there!

I wouldn't be so sure. Take a bunch of orcs. Be visible to one of them. Don't get too close, don't attack, just be there looking obvious to him and maybe a little threatening. He's going to be reacting to someone no one else can see. Being orcs, I doubt they're going to figure that he's special and is seeing someone invisible to the rest of them. They're going to think he's loony or trying to get them in some subtle fashion. Dissension is sown and probably gets violent. Slink off to a safe distance, watch the havoc, mildly regret you're not playing in a game system in which inciting a fatal riot would get you experience points for each casualty.

Originally posted by Jeff

I wouldn't be so sure. Take a bunch of orcs. Be visible to one of them. Don't get too close, don't attack, just be there looking obvious to him and maybe a little threatening. He's going to be reacting to someone no one else can see. Being orcs, I doubt they're going to figure that he's special and is seeing someone invisible to the rest of them. They're going to think he's loony or trying to get them in some subtle fashion. Dissension is sown and probably gets violent. Slink off to a safe distance, watch the havoc, mildly regret you're not playing in a game system in which inciting a fatal riot would get you experience points for each casualty.

That's not "Invisible to one", it's "Invisible to all but one". Whether the orcs have the reaction you suggest depends on how aware they are of Magic, which in some part means how common is it. Now, if we talk about our character in a modern campaign pulling the same stunt on the Chairman of the Board, he'll be seeking psychiatric help before too long.

Originally posted by Jeff

Use Variable Limitation, with the available limitations for selection being "only versus target" and "not usable versus target". Figure out an appropriate value for each of those; halve the smaller one and you've got the value for the Variable Limitation. If we assign both of those a -1 value, you'd be looking at a -1/2 limitation.

That would be a lot simper and cheaper than a multipower, but I think they could normally choose any limitation. Unless you want to allow the option to set the limitation as x5 endurance costs or extra time, you should talk to the player and arrange some house rules.

Hmmm, I guess I'm more used to the one on one type pair-ups you see in Champions style games. If multiple opponents are the norm, I can see how it would be useless pretty often. I could buy both limitations being worth -1.

Originally posted by Snarf

That would be a lot simper and cheaper than a multipower, but I think they could normally choose any limitation. Unless you want to allow the option to set the limitation as x5 endurance costs or extra time, you should talk to the player and arrange some house rules.

Normally there's a GM set range of options for the limitations for Variable Limitation, rather than anything at all. Usually it's a bunch of the effort/difficulty type ones - Concentrate, Extra Time, Gestures/Incantations, Extra END, Activation Roll, that sort of thing, and usually that's a bunch that won't include limited/conditional power limitations, or come down to a choice of two. I just figure it's the best adaptation of existing mechanics, particularly since it won't have the annoying consequence of costing more for being more limited than plain Invisibility, as we get with the multipower approach.

Alternatively, you can look at it as a way of shoring up your estimates of the appropriate limitation value if you just want to view it as a plain limited power limitation - I get the same figure Monolith did. But I think it might be a handy treatment of Variable Limitation for other applications, like someone with a limited range of commands available for Mind Control, or someone who can do one single command (or Mental Illusion, Image, what have you) readily but any other only with (e.g.) increased END costs or activation rolls.

Thanks all, gave me some idears..

as a little extra info (which i shoukld of posted orrigionally, but i was trying to keep it short).

The game would be a modern supers game. The char is generally your stealthy scout type person. The 'target' is a bit ambigeous, but the idear isent that each phase you shift your target or to get an advantage. (No, ill be invisible to everyone but our team leader) Im thinking along the lines of only being able to change 'target' 'out of combat'

im actually leaning towards this being an advantage overall..

no pesky problems with sneaking through crowds while being invisible to the person your following.

well i could go on, but im just rambling now...:D