Covering a Hex with a Beam Attack

Chris-M

This is another one of those "I could've swore I read how to handle this in one of the books somewhere, but now I can't find it no matter how hard I look" things.

I'm creating a team of bandits. About half are melee weapon guys and the other have are archers. The way they work is that they set up ambushes where the melee guys jump out and attack and the archers prevent the targets from retreating.

Effect-wise what I'm going for is that these archer guys are covering the escape route and if a character tries to run away (or run in to help), they have to run through a hail of low-OCV arrows.

Are there already specific rules for using the Cover maneuver with a beam attack on a hex or a set of hexes? For a set of characters using the Cover maneuver with a beam attack on a set of hexes?

Re: Covering a Hex with a Beam Attack

This does sound more like something with the autofire rules -- 'Suppressive Fire'. However, considering you're having someone use a non-autofire weapon ... dunno. I might allow a single-hex 'cover' at 1/2 OCV or something, just because. Failing that, have the archers hold their actions in order to shoot anyone who goes past that certain point.

This does sound more like something with the autofire rules -- 'Suppressive Fire'. However' date=' considering you're having someone use a non-autofire weapon ... dunno. I might allow a single-hex 'cover' at 1/2 OCV or something, just because. Failing that, have the archers hold their actions in order to shoot anyone who goes past that certain point.[/quote']

Good point.

The Cover Manuvuer can't be used to cover a Hex - only a single Target.

Suppression Fire, or simply Holding An Action are what is really being looked for here.

I would allow a Teamwork Roll for a group of archers to put down Suppression Fire on an area, each firing a single arrow in succession - since bows don't normally have Autofire (the requirement for Suppression Fire Manuever).

Or the easiest way is that the archer simply Holds Their Action with the condition "I fire when someone crosses into this firing zone/range" to use the Held Action.

Beyond that there is no "Cover A Hex" Maneuver.

Not a Hero solution, but...

Always make sure you include a few NPC redshirts on the hero team. In this case the NPC redshirt runs off in retreat, gets cut down by a hail of arrowfire and from then on the rest of the team are wary of following in his footsteps...

For a Hero solution you are probably better off just having the NPC archers brace, aim and hold action.