How do I build this power: Always face away from me

palaskar

Re: How do I build this power: Always face away from me

There's something you've missed - attacking from behind really means being surprised by an attack from behind - Steve Long said that somewhere (possibly FAQ or in the answers section on these boards). There is no facing in hero system (technically) aside from velocity (and you only fool with that if it matters).

You need to define the effect that you are trying to achieve and then figure out which power to use. The telekinesis is similar to gravity attacks that pull things to the ground. However, if the only effect is forcing the target to face away from you then it won't impair movement, limit actions, restrain focuses, and won't decrease DCV like a TK grab and hold would.

If you're trying to achieve a game effect it might be to make it harder for the target to hit you - that would be Combat skill levels with DCV only - requires a combat roll (and a successful hit) for each person affected. If you want to make the target easier to hit then you probably want the effect to include comabt skill levels only to increase OCV and requires a successful combat roll to affect the target. Alternatively you might make it a Suppress Dex while the gadget is stuck to the target with continuing charges or some such. Or a change environment that moves with the target (and decreases OCV, DCV, movement, and dex rolls. - at which point the dex suppress is probably a better bet possibly with a movement suppress as well).

Reason from the effect and Good luck!

Pure wisdom. This power Palaskar described is best built using Invisibility, flavored to taste.

Reason from Effect guys...

Reason from Effect...

What is the SPECIAL EFFECT of this ability?

Don't let the name of powers have to much influence on how they are used.

example:

The HERO power Telekinesis is just STR@Range with no action/reaction.

The Special Effect telekinesis could actually be built using Stretching with Does Not Cross Intervening Space.

etc..

Well, then it's probably then just Invisibilty, with some sort of limitation to reflect that the target has to attack while looking over his shoulder, and that it only applies to one character (the one hit with the disc.) That's what, -1/2 or so?

There are several ways to counter this, most of which have been pointed out: Attack anyway, use an Indirect attack, attack with a SFX defined as shooting from the character's back :D, get people to expend Doc's discs...those are the ones that come to mind.

As I may have pointed out, the 32 charges of Doc's discs do not recharge by themselves. Once they're used up, he has to go home and make more -- just like Hawkeye has to make more arrows. A pretty standard tactic for beating Doc would be to force him to use up all his discs, then clobber him (preferably from range, so he can't use his martial arts.) It's similar to the tactic used for Hourman style Aid-users. Sure, he's unbeatable for one hour, but get him to expend that Aid on something, and then attack him -- he's toast.

And yes, I know that 32 Charges is an advantage. I just wanted to point out that Doc's not unbeatable.

Facing is one of the few vaguely defined aspects of the Hero System. There are no real rules regarding Facing beyond Turn Mode.

If all you're doing is changing someone's Facing then the suggested 1" Teleport; UAA; Position Shift; Only To Position Shift construct achieves mechanically exactly what you want.

But I would suggest you sit down with your group and better define the Facing Rules for your game. If someone has No Turn Mode (or Running which has this by default) then it's a 0-Phase Action to turn back around facing forward.

I'll not meddle in the SFX, I can think of a few odd SFX that could fit this Power Construct though.