Champions: The New Millennium

Mark Rand

The idea for this is taken from the Champions: The New Millennium books that Steve Long and other brilliant people wrote. It's set in Bay City, California, which is the Bay area from San Francisco to Palo Alto after a massive quake leveled it on January 12, 1995, and was subsequently rebuilt.

The PCs are The Champions. Their base is a building on Treasure Island, which is in the San Francisco Bay, and they have some offices in the Golden Gate Transit Ferry Building. I'll post some of my own stuff about the base soon, but a lot of it is copyright by Hero Games, and I can't post that without permission.

On January 11, 2000, Paula Gray a collegiate champion, was swimming is San Francisco Bay when she was struck by strange energies from what is now called The Wildstrike. These energies changed her into a mermaid. She has shoulder-length dark-brown hair, sparkling blue eyes, and golden scales. She is also helpful and has rescued drowning victims and stranded boaters.

There will also be guest appearances by characters from television series set in San Francisco.

Re: Champions: The New Millennium

I'm probably going to burn for this, but I LIKED that setting. I wish I could get the original 3 books, rather than the Cybergames reprint...

*Sigh*

Thanks. I agree. It's a great setting.

I bought the first two books, used, from my local game store. Now, all I need is Champions: Alliances.

I'm probably going to burn for this' date=' but I LIKED that setting. [/quote']

Hey, you weren't the only one. I bought all three books and used 'em as the setting for one of my longest-running superhero campaigns.

(In fact, the Bunneh still bugs me to continue that campaign someday...but I think he just likes to have his character hanging with Lady Blue and her supervillianess coffee club...)

Lonewalker

sorry i meant what characters are in the game

I don't know. I will once I start the game. Hopefully, that will be soon.

The Champions use two buildings. Their offices are in the Golden Gate Transit Ferry Building. Most of the civilian staff is there. The other building is the headquarters itself, which is in San Francisco Bay, on Treasure Island.

The office staff includes Jerry Neuboldt, the receptionist; Thomas Phelps, the administrator; Julie Rutherford, the public relations, licensing, and marketing director; and Alvin Murdoch, the comptroller. Lionel Haggard, the team's lawyer, has his office in a nearby building.

The headquarters staff includes UNTIL liaison Dana Sullivan, Guard liaison Rica Jankowski, security chief Karen Shriver and her staff, and team pilot Janice Winters, who also maintains the aircraft.

Other staffers include team engineer Toshiro Daishi, computer expert Edwin Dodgson, and the medical crew. Housekeeper Marie Anderson is also the majordomo. Her chief assistants are the butler, her husband, David, and the cook, his widowed mother, Helen. Helen's chief assistant is her daughter, Mary Ann while David and Marie have a number of maids and housemen under them. (In most restaurants, Helen would be the executive chef and Mary Ann would be either a station chef or a line cook.)

The team have two aircraft, the Slingshot (illustration on page 41 of Champions: The New Millennium) and the Liandra, Janice's own aircraft (which looks like a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird).

Edit: The stats for the Slingshot are identical to those of the V-Jet in the Champions: 5E sourcebook. As far as the stats for the Liandra go, she's a warp-capable spacecraft.

Edit 2: I've decided that the Liandra should be a Lockheed SR-71A that's been modified to take passengers instead of being a spacecraft. This would have the Liandra and the Slingshot use the same stats.

In addition to the two aircraft, the team has a ground vehicle, the Battlevan, and a submarine that's rarely used. The Battlevan image is on page 41 of Champions: The New Millennium, but there is no image of the submarine.

The headquarters diagram is on page 39 of Champions: The New Millennium and the diagram's key is on page 38.

There are a couple of changes that I'm making to it. First, the fourth floor swimming pool is now an aboveground pool. Otherwise, it would occupy the living quarters below. I'm also making one of the two emergency meeting rooms on sub-level 3 the computer room. In addition to the computer holding the stuff superhero bases usually have, there's a second computer, that holds, among other things, Helen and Mary Ann's recipe files. I'm also adding a building containing staff living quarters to the complex.

I'll be posting fliers, here and at the game store, for the Bay City campaign sometime in September. I'll have my copy of Champions: Alliances by then, and my landlord will have finished up the renovations.

Theron's thread on his Bay City campaign gave me a lot to think about. I'll probably go with a team that's the latest incarnation of a superhero team that's protected the city for decades.

Their base is a benign version of the mansion from The House That Jack Built. Still, there are ghosts, gates, and other stuff. Since the house is magical, all they need is one staffer to cook and clean. (The house does the rest by itself.)

Guest Major Tom

In addition to the two aircraft' date=' the team has a ground vehicle, the [i']Battlevan,[/i] and a submarine that's rarely used. The Battlevan image is on page 41 of Champions: The New Millennium, but there is no image of the submarine.

The headquarters diagram is on page 39 of Champions: The New Millennium and the diagram's key is on page 38.

There are a couple of changes that I'm making to it. First, the fourth floor swimming pool is now an aboveground pool. Otherwise, it would occupy the living quarters below. I'm also making one of the two emergency meeting rooms on sub-level 3 the computer room. In addition to the computer holding the stuff superhero bases usually have, there's a second computer, that holds, among other things, Helen and Mary Ann's recipe files. I'm also adding a building containing staff living quarters to the complex.

Good idea about the change in the swimming pool's location. Considering that

superfights that take place in swimming pools have an inconvenient habit

of spilling out into the lower floors of whatever building they happen to be in,

I'm fairly sure that the PCs in your campaign don't want to have to waste

time repairing water damage to the HQ.

Major Tom :D