Hero Helper is finally finished...

nyakki

Day and night and then day again, working non-stop, 27 hours a day (they have different hours per day here in Japan) but it's finally done... well, the Beta one is anyways.

Hero Helper v1.0

What is it? you ask.

It's a Die Roller.

It's a Name Maker.

It's a Disad Picker.

It's a Combat Rater.

and

It's an All-Purpose Origin Maker.

I have only tested it on my Virtual Windows on my Mac so I can't say it will work on a real Windows machine. It does work on my Mac running OS X (if there are any Mac Heads out there).

I think I worked out all of the bugs but I'm sure you will let me know if there are any that crop up.

It is a HUGE program (unzipped at a whopping 8.7 megs... how's that for a Random Generator).

Now, you are probably wondering why there isn't the Random Character Generator in the mess... or even if you aren't wondering let me tell you.

I'm still learning this RealBasic stuff and there are things in the Random Character Generator that I'm not able to bring over from the Internet version.

But it's on my list of things to do (right after I get some sleep).

So everyone enjoy.

nyakki

Re: Thank you...

Originally posted by JMHammer

Thank you for delivering a tool for the Mac users in the Hero audience. We are legion.

:)

Us Mac users have to stick together :-)

------------------------------------

Any comments about the program so far?

Does it work on your system? Can you use it? Will you use it? What do you like? Don't like?

Please let me know.

nyakki

Re: Re: Thank you...

Originally posted by nyakki

Us Mac users have to stick together :-)

------------------------------------

Any comments about the program so far?

Does it work on your system? Can you use it? Will you use it? What do you like? Don't like?

Please let me know.

nyakki

It's a good thing you two found each other.. j/k. :)

If I may ask, what is a 'combat rater'? :)

Polaris

There are plenty of Mac users out here. Very nice to see a native app.

Some comments: I wish the app were smaller on the screen (or perhaps had a second, "small" form: see iTunes for an example). I usually game with my TiBook running Hero Designer, which takes up most of the screen, leaving a tall, narrow space for my text document containing the damage I've taken, plus another chunk that I'd love to be able to fit HH into. All I'd want on this "small" version of the interface would be a dozen or so preset buttons for die rolls which I could program with my character's powers and click for an immediate roll (just one), which would be displayed underneath (STUN and BODY only). Ideally this would all fit in a space about half as wide and half as tall as your current text output pane on the Dice Roller page.

I preferred the old hexagon icon.

I found a typo in the Idea Helper: "It was quiet obvious that he was a mutant." Should be quite, of course.

Not sure if I'll use the Idea Helper, but it might be nice to be able to copy the idea to the clipboard for pasting into Hero Designer.

About Combat Ratings: I'm not sure how to calculate the CR of my character, who has a Magic VPP. His "number of attacks" is therefore pretty high -- nigh incalculable, in fact. Any ideas on handling this?

Anyway, great app! I look forward to seeing it continue to mature.

Cheers!

Ben

Works Good on Win XP

Nyakki,

Good Job over all, I really like it. Some better explanation of the Combat Rating might be needed. the website has plenty of explanations, but the programe has none. Also a print feature for the dice roller would we great.

All in all a GREAT program

WC

Nyakki,

Very nice work. Quite polished. There are some cool features here I've never seen in a Hero App. I like the name roller. Usually those things churn out pseudo-elvish or dwarven names. Modern names are a good change.

The idea helper looks good for a quick inspiration. I mostly run FH, but I'm sure I can adapt.

Keith "Macs are like a candle in the wind" Curtis

Guest Keneton

Re: Re: Re: Thank you...

Originally posted by Polaris

If I may ask, what is a 'combat rater'? :)

Polaris

I am not responding for the poster of the old CR, but I did use it as a referance in the ER.

For years we used the old AC #1 Combat Rater. It was a fun tool, but had many many flaws that could be abused to allow highly efficient but low CR characters. The flaw with number of attacks and power pool came about because this article predates Champion 3 by over a year!

A revised and updated CR came out later, but was never published. In DH #3 I wrote the ER which is the highest evolution of this idea to date. I feel as though it has some flaws new since FRED, but otherwise is a far more accurate tool for rating charcter effectiveness than any model before. Think of it as a slope for gold or an elo rating for chess. The higher the ER or CR the more powerful the character.

I sure wish someone with Nyakki's ability (HINT HINT!!!!) would incorporate the new ER insted of the CR in his program. IHis program is so very cool and beats the crap out of the chincy excell spreadsheet I posted in the free stuff section of this site.

:D

If I may ask, what is a 'combat rater'?

It's the Power of X thing. I have a javascript form of one on my site.

You enter the characters stuff that you want to rate and it pops out a number. This number tells you how effect your character is.

Most people use it for combat so that's what I called it.

You can keep the default settings or customize it for your game.

Originally posted by BenKimball

Some comments: I wish the app were smaller on the screen (or perhaps had a second, "small" form: see iTunes for an example). I usually game with my TiBook running Hero Designer, which takes up most of the screen, leaving a tall, narrow space for my text document containing the damage I've taken, plus another chunk that I'd love to be able to fit HH into. All I'd want on this "small" version of the interface would be a dozen or so preset buttons for die rolls which I could program with my character's powers and click for an immediate roll (just one), which would be displayed underneath (STUN and BODY only). Ideally this would all fit in a space about half as wide and half as tall as your current text output pane on the Dice Roller page.

Good idea. I like it. I'll see if I can do that.

I preferred the old hexagon icon.

Me, too. I was trying to get something like that but having it look good on OS X is, for me, difficult. Not only do I have to be a programmer, I have to be an artist. :rolleyes:

I found a typo in the Idea Helper: "It was quiet obvious that he was a mutant." Should be quite, of course.

Can't trust spellcheckers these days :)

Not sure if I'll use the Idea Helper, but it might be nice to be able to copy the idea to the clipboard for pasting into Hero Designer.

Another good idea.

About Combat Ratings: I'm not sure how to calculate the CR of my character, who has a Magic VPP. His "number of attacks" is therefore pretty high -- nigh incalculable, in fact. Any ideas on handling this?

You could customize the Combat Ratings. It's in the ReadMe.

You can add a spot something like 'VPP Points' and divide it by 5 (or some other number or even multiply it if you think VPP's are more powerful).

Anyway, great app! I look forward to seeing it continue to mature.

Thanks

Wow, that program is quite impressive!!

I am glad that you have 27 hours a day there... get some sleep!

Thanks. zzzzzzzzzzz

Originally posted by Wildcat

Good Job over all, I really like it. Some better explanation of the Combat Rating might be needed. the website has plenty of explanations, but the programe has none. Also a print feature for the dice roller would we great.

All in all a GREAT program

Doesn't anyone read the ReadMe file??? What am I saying... I don't even read the ReadMe files... I think I'll change the ReadMe title to User Manual or User Guide :)

I knew someone was going to say something about printing... :( I worked so hard trying to get it to print... really I did... even went to programming boards and asked Newbie questions... nothing seemed to work... :(

I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the nice comment.

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Very nice work. Quite polished. There are some cool features here I've never seen in a Hero App. I like the name roller. Usually those things churn out pseudo-elvish or dwarven names. Modern names are a good change.

The idea helper looks good for a quick inspiration. I mostly run FH, but I'm sure I can adapt.

I'll be working on the FH one right after I figure out how to make a Random Character Generator that actually makes decent, playable characters.

The Random Generator on my site gives, kinda, the same thing the Idea Helper does so you can use that as you are waiting for the FH one.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Look for version 1.1 soon.

nyakki

I get the hint...

Originally posted by Keneton

I sure wish someone with Nyakki's ability (HINT HINT!!!!) would incorporate the new ER insted of the CR in his program. IHis program is so very cool and beats the crap out of the chincy excell spreadsheet I posted in the free stuff section of this site.

:D

I got the hint :)

I was actually thinking of your speadsheet when I was making the program. That's why I made the Combat Rating editable.

The only drawback is that I only had room for 40 spaces and in your speadsheet you have over 70.

But I guess you could combine a few things on the same line such as St-Co-Bo-Eg (that's STR, CON, BODY, EGO) since they use the same formula. Since the program is for your personal use, using that kind of title might work.

And you could have an OTHER STUFF box to fit the other stuff that didn't fit in well and uses the same formula.

Just a thought.

nyakki

Me, too. I was trying to get something like that but having it look good on OS X is, for me, difficult. Not only do I have to be a programmer, I have to be an artist. :rolleyes:

nyakki

Try this. I posted it earlier today but got no bites.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7101

Keith "Aqua" Curtis

Re: Hero Helper is finally finished...

I have only tested it on my Virtual Windows on my Mac so I can't say it will work on a real Windows machine.

Runs just fine on my Pentium III running Windows 98.

Thank you for an excelent program!

Hi there,

As a Mac User forced to deal with the Windoze world, I applaude your efforts in creating a Mac compatable tool.

BTW, I also enjoy the Random Chraracter Generators as well, my players will never know the true origin of many of their foes...

:cool:

VERSION 1.0.1 IS FINISHED.

Stuff that was added/changed/updated:

Pretty much everything that BenKimball requested.

Now, while in the Die Roller page, you can choose to have just a small square window that allows you to roll once.

You can now roll the dice by just clicking on one of the Quick Sets.

The Idea Helper allows for copying the origin.

Added a few more ideas to the Idea Helper.

Spelling fixed.

A couple of loop bugs found and squashed.

The Hex Icon (thanks to Keith Curtis for that one... I'm assuming I had permission :) ).

A new and improved 12 page User Manual (think about it... 12 pages just for a Random Generator... sheesh).

Not bad for a days work.

Enjoy

nyakki

Re: Re: Hero Helper is finally finished...

Originally posted by McCoy

Runs just fine on my Pentium III running Windows 98.

Thank you for an excelent program!

Thanks.

One question. Does it 'feel' OK?

I know that when programs get moved from Windows to Mac, sometimes they don't 'feel' right.

Just wondering if the Windows world has the same syndrome.

Originally posted by Barrier

As a Mac User forced to deal with the Windoze world, I applaude your efforts in creating a Mac compatable tool.

I know the feeling.

BTW, I also enjoy the Random Chraracter Generators as well, my players will never know the true origin of many of their foes...

Glad you like the Generator. I'm working on getting it into a regular program. Then it will really rock :)

nyakki