New Magnetic Power

Angelalex242

Re: New Magnetic Power

I think like anything else you reason from the end effect. I can think of several possible powers deriving from this. I mean you are directly stimulating the brain via inducing electrical currents with a magnetic field, so once you apply comic-book level of control and advancement to this tech nearly anything is possible. Just off the top of my head there would be:

flash

mental attack or nnd (defense: magnetic shielding)

mental entangle (seisure)

supress speed/dex

mind control

since most effects you could base off of TMS are directly attacking/affecting the brain for the most part it makes sense to use mental based powers. Then again unless you were to spend some points on a small linked power that did +ecv with multipower powers, I'm not sure you would want to have them attack based ECV. (after all it is not mind to mind combat). if you do go for based on ECV then I would probably add limitations for affected by range but that's up to you.

Well, the main difference this and what a psion does is, the psion reads and adjusts your thoughts.

Magnetics adjusts the physical bio electric chemistry of the brain, which influences thoughts in an extremely indirect fashion. Still, it's a physical thing,

My character does already have an AVLD (Power Defense) simulating what would happen if you just launched a straight magnetic attack at the bio electric nervous system.

Depends on what you're wanting to do, going by the read. If it's just a quick 'zot' to induce a flow and read the brain's functionality, I'd call that 'Detect Brain Function'. If you're wanting to cure stuff, that'd be a mental Transform.

Otherwise, your AVLD magnetic-vs-bioelectric attack is spot on. Further refinements would, of course, enter into the Mental Powers areas...

It's the further refinements I'm looking into.

As far as I can tell, targeting different parts of the brain produces different effects.

If I targeted the brain stem...that's an RKA NND Does body (Because the brain stem controls heartbeat, breathing, etc...short THAT out...well, there's a reason executions by gun always point it at the bottom of the back of the head...because that's where the brain stem is.

Target the cerebellum, and that's that dex/spd drain mentioned above...that controls balance, you see...

Ah, I see. Well, you sort of go with 'what part does the brain control', and 'am I good enough to target just that part' sort of questions -- stuff that may require skill rolls and the like.

This could include stuff like an END/COM/PRE drain (causing the brain to have the digestive system act in certain manners) as well...

So, what kind of penalties are we looking at to precisely target parts of the brain?

And what're the chances of error? It might not matter if you accidentally do the wrong thing to a bad guy (except for the accidental brain stem targeting=Death, and most heroes try not to kill), but if you're using magnetics in a friendly way, it matters a whole lot.

If I were GMing this idea,

you'd have to buy KS:Anatomy or something.

also Power Defense would apply versus these attacks.

(additional limitation, makes it cheaper, not more powerful)

Class of Mind might be a good limitation also.

I'd lean towards this magnetic idea being the SFX for your Penetrating, AVLD, or NND.

Just because science shows us something new, doesnt mean

it pokes holes in the basics of the hero system.

A) Its a comic book setting; you can use something like this as an excuse to do pretty much anything you want one way or the other...witness Magneto's body of work.

Powers and abilities

Magneto has the ability to generate and manipulate tremendously potent magnetic fields, which fields he uses most easily to move/control ferrous metals (iron, steel, etc.) and to achieve a wide range of other effects.

Because his personal magnetic field (i.e., the magnetic forces surrounding his own body) repels projectiles and absorbs energy attacks, Magneto is invulnerable to most harm when his personal field is active. His force field has withstood enormous forces including nuclear explosions. He is capable of personal levitation and sustained flight at high speeds, and can survive in the vacuum of deep space. He can also purposely channel his powers through his body for the purpose of temporarily increasing his strength, stamina, and agility to superhuman levels. Magneto has been depicted using his powers to lift submarines and oil tankers through levitation or sheer physical force. The absolute maximum amount of material he can levitate with his powers is unknown.

Magneto is able to perceive the world around him as patterns of electromagnetic energy, and can perceive the electrical auras given off by living beings. He has also demonstrated the ability to produce electricity as well as electromagnetic radiation. In a few instances Magneto has demonstrated the capacity to produce a wormhole, and to safely teleport himself and others by means of the wormhole. Magneto's ability to wield his powers effectively is dependent upon his physical condition; when severely injured, his body is unable to withstand the strain of generating strong magnetic fields.

Magneto has been consistently and frequently depicted as possessing the ability to resist all but the strongest or most unexpected telepathic attacks. His helmet also offers him additional protection. Charles Xavier, during a joint act of telepathy in Secret Wars, termed Magneto a latent telepath. In his early appearances, Magneto was able to engage in astral projection.

Magneto is also a genius with competence in various fields of advanced science, especially in genetic manipulation, engineering, and other fields of technology. He has invented futuristic weapons, space stations, and intelligent superhuman lifeforms. Magneto is also a master strategist and has had extensive combat training, though he prefers to use his powers in combat situations.

:rolleyes:

B) Convert your MP to a lightly limited VPP. Then, whenever you have an idea for something, write it up, get buy off, and rubber-science it away as "magnetics can do anything...even the WSJ says so!"

So we're back to what I said.. build the powers to do what you want them to do, and declare the special effect to be magnetic field manipulation.. Don't get too bent out of shape trying to figure out all the science. you've got the 'excuse' for why you can do xzy via how magnetics can be used to manipulate the brain. Although as some said you might want to look at 'class of mind' as appropriate.. also take into account limitations such as if something is shielded vs magnetics..

Also since you are trying to induce currents. anything conductive around the head could act like a faraday cage and interfere with what you are trying to do.

So in your case why yes, that tin-foil hat might indeed shield Captian Paranoid from your mind control..

That's funny. Captain Paranoid was right for once! I'm not sure tin foil would get the job done, though. Certainly anything ferrous would, though. A Knight with a steel helmet's in good shape, for example. But a knight with a bronze helmet (Nonferrous) Might not be in such good shape.

Or maybe it's the other way around, and nonferrous shields and ferrous doesn't shield. What do you think?

That's the trick isn't it? My character is Beta level (over 500 points)' date=' but Magneto is Omega (Well over 1000). There's a level of scale here...at least till I catch up to the big guy in sheer XP.[/quote']

Not really. It depends on whether or not a) your GM agrees with you re: how much magnetics can do, and B) whether or not you're willing to pour the majority of your points in Powers into a VPP. My various Magneto 'clones' are roughly the same scale as yours, and they can all whack out a pretty impressive TK strength, force field, and whatnot while still having the flexibility to mind-zot someone. This, however, requires the GM acknowledging your 'magnetics can do darn near everything' explanation for the flexibility.

Speaking of the VPP, do you think it'd be simpler, given the sheer scope and scale of magnetism, to convert my multipower (It's an 85 point multipower, but I've spent over 190 points on it as is...) into a Cosmic VPP for Magnetism, and spare myself the trouble of trying to have everything I want to do preapproved as is necessary for the multipower I currently have?

It's currently an 18 slot big multipower, as a note.

Oh, yes. A couple more facts.

First, this character is 15 years old. He's not an adult yet, so take it into account in figuring out whether he should have the cosmic VPP or not.

Also, if anybody can think of a good way to justify 'affects desolid' for magnetism, I'd appreciate it.

Don't quote me, but roughly ...

Magnetic VPP: 85 Power Pool, Control Pool (42 Base); No Roll (+1), 0-Phase Action (+1); Control Pool Active Cost: 126. Mutant Magnetic-Derived Powers Only (-1/4): Control Pool Real Cost: 100. Total Real Cost: 185 Points.

The reason that 'Mutant Magnetic-Derived Powers Only' is only a -1/4 (as compared with 'magic only' or whatever, -1/2?) is because you can explain almost everything via magnetics, and especially if you use Foci to work through. But this would let you do pretty much everything you have, and a lot of stuff simultaneously, depending on your disads.

I'd STILL give your GM control over approval for the pool skills; just write up a few more, give them to him, and say you might want to fiddle with advantages/disadvantages as you go along. OR, better yet, clear Powers with him. 'Okay, he's learned TK, Force Field, and EB/RKA pretty well. I'd like to work on Flash now...' Because the character is only 15, let the powers develop along with him; be WILLING to take it slow with the refinements, unless you happen to have the world's foremost master of magnetism teaching you how. A willingness to do these things, note, is how you get the GM to OK the VPP.

As for Affects Desolid, that's mostly an F/X thing. But I can theorize anything but magic...