hypnosis

mwiggins

Way back Dazzler got into a fight with the Juggernaught (Cain Marko). She thought he couldn't be as powerful as his file said. BOY, was she wrong.

In the fight she tried to hypnotise him with colored lights and something that looked like bubbles. It didn't work. But if it had worked, what could this kind of mindcontroll have had him do? or just sort of stand there calmly? surrender?

Re: hypnosis

Unfortunately what hypnosis can do in fiction and what it can do in reality are often two very different things. There are even differences in what's possible in reality. Overall it would depend on how susceptible Marko was to hypnosis -- apparently, at least in that story, not at all.

Potentially, depending on her skill level as well as her subject's susceptibility, Dazzler could have convinced him that everything was peaceful or that he'd already gotten his revenge, taken him into his past to find out why he's such a dillweed, make him think he was some kind of animal and made him behave accordingly, given him a post-hypnotic suggestion as a form of aversion therapy, attack a condemned building to cause it to fall down on his head, remove his helmet ("the back of your head is itching like crazy"), or any of many other things, including just stand about calmly.

Real world hypnosis requires a willingness to be hypnotised in the target. If that isn't there, it won't work.

So, in that sense, what happened in the comic book was correct.

Generally speaking, once hypnotised anything on the EGO+10 level on the Mind Control chart is probably doable. Also, the target gains skill levels with Perception and memory. Probably anywhere from a +6 to a +10. Possibly a temporary bonus to REC. One also regains lost LTE.

Overall it would depend on how susceptible Marko was to hypnosis -- apparently' date=' at least in that story, not at all.[/quote']

She almost had him. But he managed to break out, and then did that hand clap bricktrick :eek:

Last I read he was becoming a goodguy. I think he might have been more interesting as a badguy

I believe Dazzler's hypnosis mostly made its targets sleepy, calm and willing to follow simple suggestions, like "have a seat," or "see my movie," or "put down that office tower."

The fact Juggernaut was able to shake it off, after she'd used it on the gods of Asgard with some success is testimony to the strength of will of Charles Xavier's half brother.

Real world hypnosis requires a willingness to be hypnotised in the target. If that isn't there' date=' it won't work. [/quote']

Not necessarily. I walked into a doctor's office once and "came to" 40 minutes later. I don't recall consenting to hypnosis, or anything else that may have hapened during that session.

Needless to say, never went back.

Not necessarily. I walked into a doctor's office once and "came to" 40 minutes later. I don't recall consenting to hypnosis, or anything else that may have hapened during that session.

Needless to say, never went back.

Interesting... doesn't sound at all like any of the times I've been hypnotised.

However, since you don't recall "anything else" from the visit it is possible you consented but have forgotten. Not necessarily, but a it is possible.