A character that can grow limbs?

matrix3

I have a character that can extrude wings or extra appendages (tentacles, eye stalks, etc.) I want the character to normally be bigger and stronger than a normal human, but using extra flesh to create wings, tentacles, or arms makes him shrink back towards a normal size. I was thinking of either giving him growth, always on, and then the Flight or Extra Appendages would have a "suppress growth" side effect, or defining the character as being bigger, and buy extra strength and what have you, and then have a "Shrink" Side Effect on the powers. Thoughts? A third alternative I haven't thought of?

Re: A character that can grow limbs?

Levels of Growth with "Not while Power X Is Active" would easily do the trick. Power X being things like Flight (wings), more arms (Extra Limbs), etc. . .

But.. if you want each extra bit to have a more specific - and different - levels of "flesh used" to create them... like if you create two Extra Limbs (tentacles) you only use 5 STR and 1" worth of Knockback Resistance but four takes 5 STR and 2" of Knock Back Resistance, while wings takes 10 STR and 3" of Knockback Resistance then buying all the "larger" aspects separately and adding Limitations to the appropriate parts is the way to go.

Option 2 looks like it could get complicated and ugly quickly though.

You could just put the Growth and Flight (and any other appropriate powers like Shape Shift or Stretching) in a small Multipower with full multi-slots to allow any allocation combination up to the reserve maximum. Then put a custom Limitation on the Extra Limbs (which I think is a special power but I'm not where I can check right now) based on how much of the Multipower reserve is in use.

You could just put the Growth and Flight (and any other appropriate powers like Shape Shift or Stretching) in a small Multipower with full multi-slots to allow any allocation combination up to the reserve maximum. Then put a custom Limitation on the Extra Limbs (which I think is a special power but I'm not where I can check right now) based on how much of the Multipower reserve is in use.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I think I'll go with something like this, though I'm going to fiddle with it in HeroDesigner a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question similar to this. I'm working on a plant based character after some recent inspiration from Moore's Swamp Thing. I've got some basics down like armor, and tunneling. But what's stumping me is designing his ability to grow vines and use them as extra limbs for attacks, entangle, and short distance attacks.

Would this be best as a mulitpower?

I have a question similar to this. I'm working on a plant based character after some recent inspiration from Moore's Swamp Thing. I've got some basics down like armor, and tunneling. But what's stumping me is designing his ability to grow vines and use them as extra limbs for attacks, entangle, and short distance attacks.

Would this be best as a mulitpower?

Yep. :cool:

If you want the mere ability to create extra limbs, I like the following construct:

Pseodopods on Demand!:

Extra Limbs, Inherent, Variable Special Effects (only to create/remove limbs)

Total Cost: 7 pts.

Simple mechanically, and easy to interpret in-game.

Mind you, it does not provide extra actions or stretching in and of itself, but it addresses the extra limb issue.

Yeah i was planning to keep the armor out and maybe some other attacks but use a multipower to cover the vines abilities to stretch, have multiple vines, entangle etc.

Is their an integration of extra limbs and extra attacks? Or am i basically just doing a sweep attack taking advantage of the range stretching gives me?

Yeah i was planning to keep the armor out and maybe some other attacks but use a multipower to cover the vines abilities to stretch, have multiple vines, entangle etc.

Is their an integration of extra limbs and extra attacks? Or am i basically just doing a sweep attack taking advantage of the range stretching gives me?

Stretching just allows the character to use their innate STR at range. A consequence of this is that they would still be subject to any Damage Shield Advantaged abilities the targets may have.

A better alternative might be to just start with the traditional ranged abilities like Energy Blast, Ranged Killing Attack and even Telekinesis and then apply the Physical Manifestation Limitation to them. The idea being that he's growing new or controlling existing plant life and directing it to do his bidding.

Sounds like an interesting set of brick tricks:

I'd start with Extra Limbs -1/4 Non persistent (so you can extrude a different number of limbs). And add

Multipower "Swamp-fu"

u. Flailing Vines: Energy Blast Autofire x5. Limited power: Physical manifestation -1/4 (possibly "can be blocked" for an addition -1/4). Limited range (whatever your default combat stretching is).

u. Tangle Vine: Entangle [Possible advantages: Stops a Given sense for the "full wrap up" effect, Entangle and Character both take damage, Backlash] {{Possible Limitations: No Defense, Nonresistant Def, Vulnerable to Fire }}

Alternatively you could go with Swamp-Fu Martial Arts and a High Strength

Vine Smash, Offensive Strike

Tangle Vine, Martial Grab

Vine Strike, Martial Strike

Skills:

Rapid Attack Hand to Hand

Combat Skill levels with Sweep.

The most cost efficient way is probably STR, Stretching, Martial Maneuvers, and Rapid Attack Hand to Hand.

That's assuming that the character is brickish like Swamp Thing. If he/she or it is more of a plant animator/controller like Poison Ivy the multipower maybe better adding:

u. Animate Vines, x Telekinesis, Physical Manifestation, Limited Range.

u. Summon Plant Monster, x point Plant Monsters, expanded class, (probably doublings of entities summoned), OIF "living plant matter of opportunity"

u. Dispel Plant, so you can get rid of them if they prove unruly.

u. Avatar of Gaia, Growth Only costs end to activate, OIF "living plant matter of opportunity" expendable.

u. Wall of Vines, Forcewall

u. Earth's Embrace, Forcefield Ablative (sfx a living twisting plant exoskeleton/carapace. Lim Power: ED does not protect against fire/heat.

u. Tangle Vine: Entangle, AoE Selective, Legs Only, only targets on the ground (character causes vines to grow up in several spots entangling foes legs).

Just some thoughts.

That's kinda what I was looking for. Thanks alot man! I think the Rapid Attacks with Combat Skills levels in sweep along with your Tangle Vines idea is kinda what I'm looking for and maybe some sort of Burst Thorns attack for AOE. I will post what I work up tonight at home if anyone is interested.