Another photo of a planet

Basil

In an earlier thread I mentioned the first direct photo of a planet orbiting a star other than Sol. That photo was in the infrared.

There's now a direct photo in visible light of a different planet around a different star (Fomalhaut, in fact).

Photo

Explanation and discussion.

I'm very pleased with the progress in finding and analysing extra-solar planets. :D:D

Re: Another photo of a planet

Me, I'm waiting for the ability to take that planetary light and put it into a spectrometer. That gives you a chance to identify what's in the planet's atmosphere.

Mind you, I remember someone estimating it'd take about of month of collecting photons to get enough to have a usable spectrum for a typical planet.

Re: Another photo of a planet

Yes, the Bad Astronomy Blog meister is very very happy at this news

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/11/13/huge-exoplanet-news-items-pictures/

WHOA!

Seems I was wrong on a couple of minor matters. In the earlier thread I said that planet was the first photographed. As this page shows, it was the first Sol-like star photo'd with a planet.

And it might still be unconfirmed.

Still, it's all very very very very very cool! :D:thumbup: