Disease Healing

Jachra

Now, building a power to heal diseases is fairly simple.

However... what I want for my game is a healing effect where the target is the disease, not the character being affected by the healing, so a worse disease is correspondingly more difficult to cure (this is for fantasy magic, not actual medicine.) (This assumes transform.)

As a GM, how would I represent this?

If I assume all diseases are Powers, would I just need to have a Healing affect target the power? (Also, poisons.)

If I don't, and use a Transform, what then? Assign all Diseases an effective 'BODY' rating?

Re: Disease Healing

Now, building a power to heal diseases is fairly simple.

However... what I want for my game is a healing effect where the target is the disease, not the character being affected by the healing, so a worse disease is correspondingly more difficult to cure (this is for fantasy magic, not actual medicine.) (This assumes transform.)

As a GM, how would I represent this?

If I assume all diseases are Powers, would I just need to have a Healing affect target the power? (Also, poisons.)

If I don't, and use a Transform, what then? Assign all Diseases an effective 'BODY' rating?

Healing doesn't remove the disease, just the symptoms. If you Healed someone who was on fire without putting him out first, he'd still be on fire, and would still take damage from the fire.

The cheapest method would be to buy 20pts Life Support (immune to all Diseases, & Poisons) with the Advantages Usable As Attack (the beneficiary doesn't get the option to turn it off, after all) and Persistent (so you don't have to be watching the beneficiary all the time) with the limitation "Immunity only works against the current ailment, -1". This way, they can get reinfected with the same ailment or poison.

30 Paladin's Touch: Life Support (Immune to all Terrestrial Diseases and Poisons) Usable As Attack, Persistent; 1 Charge, Immunity only works against the current ailment, -1; 50 AP; 17 RP

Another method would be a Transform: Target into Target with the appropriate immunity. The problem with it is that since Transform counts against the beneficiary's BODY, not the BODY of the disease/ poison, you'll have to achieve a BODY score eual to twice the Beneficiary's (BODY +1). That's not too bad if you can take your time, but if you have a limited number of uses then you need to make sure you get it right the first time, which can get quite expensive:

30 Paladin's Touch: 8D6 Transform (Target into Target with appropriate LS:Immunity (improved Target Group, +¼) - BODY required = (Target's BODY+1) × 2); 1 Charge, All or Nothing, No Range, Immunity only works against the current ailment (Target can be reinfected or re-poisoned), -1; 150 AP; 30RP

The final (and most expensive) method is Dispel. It's expensive mainly because some diseases and poisons (which I think you also wanted to neutralize) have high Active Point Costs - And Active Points are what you need to dispel (according to my 4th ed Bestiary, Cobra Venom is worth 267 APs and the Bubonic Plague is worth a whopping 380 APs :eek:).

195 Paladin's Touch: 130D6 Standard Effect Dispel any single Disease or Poison (+¼); 1 Charge, No Range; 487 APs; 195 RP

Another method would be a Transform: Target into Target with the appropriate immunity. The problem with it is that since Transform counts against the beneficiary's BODY, not the BODY of the disease/ poison, you'll have to achieve a BODY score eual to twice the Beneficiary's (BODY +1). That's not too bad if you can take your time, but if you have a limited number of uses then you need to make sure you get it right the first time, which can get quite expensive:

30 Paladin's Touch: 8D6 Transform (Target into Target with appropriate LS:Immunity (improved Target Group, +¼) - BODY required = (Target's BODY+1) × 2); 1 Charge, All or Nothing, No Range, Immunity only works against the current ailment (Target can be reinfected or re-poisoned), -1; 150 AP; 30RP

I'm perfectly willing to have it target the disease instead of the person for the purposes of healing the disease (or affliction) alone and stab anyone who says I should apply it to other things. ;D

However, I'm thinking Dispel is probably the best option, thanks.

Here's a much cheaper way to do it legally with Dispel:

25 Cure Any Disease - Eventually: Dispel 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), any [special effect] power one at a time (Any Single Disease; +1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (Until Target Disease Cured; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (25 Active Points)

Notes: Cumulative means that additional Dispel effects add up every Phase. 0 END, Continuous and Uncontrolled means the effect keeps going until the disease is 'cured'. Penetrating means the Dispel still works vs. constructs involving power defense or 'difficult to dispel', just 1/3 slower.

Here's a much cheaper way to do it legally with Dispel:

25 Cure Any Disease - Eventually: Dispel 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), any [special effect] power one at a time (Any Single Disease; +1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (Until Target Disease Cured; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (25 Active Points)

Notes: Cumulative means that additional Dispel effects add up every Phase. 0 END, Continuous and Uncontrolled means the effect keeps going until the disease is 'cured'. Penetrating means the Dispel still works vs. constructs involving power defense or 'difficult to dispel', just 1/3 slower.

Wouldn't the cumulative have to be increased? Cumulative by itself only allows you to do the maximum effect for the number of dice, e.g., in this case, 12 points of effect. Or am I missing something?

Wouldn't the cumulative have to be increased? Cumulative by itself only allows you to do the maximum effect for the number of dice' date=' e.g., in this case, 12 points of effect. Or am I missing something?[/quote']

You are quite right.

I forgot about that part.

Here's the updated version:

17 Cure Any Disease - Eventually: Dispel 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), any [special effect] power one at a time (Any Single Disease; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (Until Target Disease Cured; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Cumulative (384 points; +2) (17 Active Points)

Notes: Cumulative means that additional Dispel effects add up every Phase and will take ~20 minutes to reach maximum effect. 0 END, Continuous and Uncontrolled means the effect keeps going until the disease is 'cured'. Penetrating means the Dispel still works vs. constructs involving power defense or 'difficult to dispel', just 1/3 slower.