Help with Clairsentience

hammersickle59

Clairsentience is a bit vauge on placing your perception point. 1. it can be anywhere within range. 2. the gm may ask for a to hit roll to place it in a place that you cant see.

I want to build a clairsentience that can have a perception point above another person (that person chosen at the time of casting).

Another words, I use it to spy on people. How would you guys handle the targeting of this? A built in Mind Scan? That would be a very expensive mind scan......(locating one person in the world)...

Dean

Re: Help with Clairsentience

There's a modifier (Adder, I think) for floating perception point. I think that it specifies that if you are "locking" the perception point to a person that you can use the base value and that it automatically follows them no matter how fast they go, but ordinarily you have to buy up the speed.

Thanks guys, but neither advice really helps my situation (i think).

Assuming range was massive and there were no range modifiers, i could put my sight anywhere on the planet (as long as I knew where that place was). But what i'm trying to do is, "my sight is over this guy, wherever he is". I assume I need a way of finding where he is before i move my sight over him......right?

Dean

Thanks guys, but neither advice really helps my situation (i think).

Assuming range was massive and there were no range modifiers, i could put my sight anywhere on the planet (as long as I knew where that place was). But what i'm trying to do is, "my sight is over this guy, wherever he is". I assume I need a way of finding where he is before i move my sight over him......right?

Dean

Do you understand that the build I just posted has effectively ZERO negative modifiers for making a simple Perception roll to find anything or anyone on nearly the ENTIRE PLANET?

I just didn't include the Mobile adder as mentioned by Chris Goodwin.

I think I understand what you are saying. You need to know where the particular person is, before you can place the perception point. You could do it this way... The +20 ECV is to counter the penalties at any distance, although it would probably be cheaper to buy PSLs. Mind you, I'm sure that this is neither the cheapest nor most efficient way to buy this... :)

Someone to watch over you: (Total: 102 Active Cost) Clairsentience (Sight Group), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (62 Active Points) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), x8 Range (1,000"), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase) (Active Cost: 40)

Who am I watching over, anyway?: (70 Active Cost)

Mind Scan 6d6 (Human class of minds), +20 ECV

Do you understand that the build I just posted has effectively ZERO negative modifiers for making a simple Perception roll to find anything or anyone on nearly the ENTIRE PLANET?

I just didn't include the Mobile adder as mentioned by Chris Goodwin.

Thats not what clairvoyance does. Having no range modifiers and global range doesn't let you sense everything on the planet; it merely lets you place your perception point anywhere on the planet. The issue is, there is a place on the planet that I want to see, but I don't know where that place is (aka, a moving person, who might be in china, or japan or usa etc...) My reading of Clairvoyance is that you have to state where your putting your perception point. Saying, "I want to see where Dr. D is" is just as arbitrary as saying "I place my perception point in the area that would give me the most beneficial information to defeat the campaign". Ok, maybe not that bad, but I don't think either is allowed without extra powers or advantages.

Dean

I think I understand what you are saying. You need to know where the particular person is' date=' before you can place the perception point. You could do it this way... The +20 ECV is to counter the penalties at any distance, although it would probably be cheaper to buy PSLs. Mind you, I'm sure that this is neither the cheapest nor most efficient way to buy this... :)[/size']

Someone to watch over you: (Total: 102 Active Cost) Clairsentience (Sight Group), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (62 Active Points) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), x8 Range (1,000"), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase) (Active Cost: 40)

Who am I watching over, anyway?: (70 Active Cost)

Mind Scan 6d6 (Human class of minds), +20 ECV

Yeah, thats what I built eventually. The mindscan for the targeting. Except with Clairvoyance I bought up the range manually instead of with Megascale. I''ll have to check which way is cheaper. That sounds like a dumb thing but actually when you have to buy two versions (as in the example above, one with mega and one without) then the other way might be cheaper. It keeps doubling so once you get it up there it goes up quick. :)

Dean