Adventure Seed: Dinos in the Mists

shadowcat1313

this is something we put together as a Traveller scenario, but could easily be adapted. it was originally written as a convention scenario about 10 years ago

the players are part of an exploration/contact team sent to a sector of space that fell into a long night type situation, and some worlds were abandoned.

the world in question is a terran standard world with a slight sulfur taint to the atmosphere. its full of swamps and shallow seas.

what life thats native to the world tends to be big and hungry.

the planet was originally a hightech amusement park world where the corp that set it up had found various large sauropods native to the world

the players scout team is sent to do an initial survey on the world.

GM Information:

the world wasnt quite abanadoned, it was also being used for bio-engineering research, somebody got the bright idea of trying to uplift dinosaurs. the resulting experiments resulted in the death of most of the researchers, and the world was abandoned as a bad idea.

there are a couple of tribes of uplifted Utah Raptors still alive on planet, they have reverted to stone age tech, so are armed with clubs, spears, javelins, and bucklers. they figured out how to use firearms, but they either broke down or the they ran out of ammo for them. the raptors are about as inteligent as a 12 year old child, and have fully opposable thumbs, the warriors wear leather harnesses with metal studs.

the other uplifting experiment also survived, a mated pair of T-Rex

and their offspring have survived to the present

Re: Adventure Seed: Dinos in the Mists

this is something we put together as a Traveller scenario, but could easily be adapted. it was originally written as a convention scenario about 10 years ago

Would somebody please rep this guy ? I gotta spread some around....etc....etc....

Thanks.

-Carl-

Repped him as requested...

I have looked over his adventure seed... looks a lot like an adventure I ran several years ago (back during HERO 3rd ed). The main characters received a distress call from a research colony on an uncharted world... upon arriving they discovered that the distress call was from an automated beacon.

They took cutters down to the surface of the planet and discovered the old research station in ruins and no sign of the scientists. Further investigation turned up large tracks of what appeared to be some kind of large reptile.

The long and short of it was that soon they were under siege by vicious bipedal, semi sentient reptiles that had a hunger for human flesh. They also discovered that the planet was inhabited by numerous saurians, each of which was in it's own way dangerous to humans.

Again, great adventure seed.. would love to see a full treatment of it, when you finish it.

grymour a.k.a Gil

Again

Apparently not all that uncommon a theme as I had my own dino planet in the campaign I am currently running. The players did not bite (so to speak) and left the planet in a hurry.

I guess the "great minds think alike" saying fits here.

EDIT: Oh and repped too.

the world in question is a terran standard world with a slight sulfur taint to the atmosphere. its full of swamps and shallow seas.

what life thats native to the world tends to be big and hungry.

That "sulfur taint" is, of course, hydrogen sulfide. Which is a bit heavier than air, and tends to pool in low places.

If you made the raptors and T-rexes either dependent on, or very sensitive to, HS, you could give the PCs an edge. OTOH, if they're less sensitive to HS, that gives them an edge over the PCs.

Just something occurred to my diseased mind. :eg:

My diseased mind is another fine product, and unregistered non-trademark, of Basil's Twisted Imagination, Unincorporated.