Comment on this character

Mr. Gridlock

Re: Comment on this character

Just to clarify' date=' which 'build' are you referring to?[/quote']

The shield multipower which has the limitations OIF and requires dex roll on it.

If we're talking about something like Green Lantern manifesting something that looks like a shield and it working like that, then I have no problem, because it's an energy field that only looks like a shield.

If we're talking about Captain America who has a physical object that he uses as a shield, then it should have a different set of limitations, because physical shields have limitations like can't be in two (or every) places at the same time, and if someone is immobilizing the limb that has the shield on it, good luck getting it in the way of a shot from the other side. Also, it's hard to use a shield to ward off damage when you're submerged in acid.

Restrainable addresses the issue of the shield being more difficult to disarm than a weapon, but still easier to foul than an OIF. Most entangles should make shield use pretty much impossible.

Still unresolved is the 'facing' issue of the shield not being able to cover 360 degrees simultaneously. Non-directional area effects should be able to bypass the shield. Similarly, unless the shield is some sort of animated magic shield, it shouldn't automatically affect any attack the shield wearer can't see.

$0.02

Also, it's hard to use a shield to ward off damage when you're submerged in acid.

What about my build makes you think it could protect it's user from being 'submerged in acid'? Submerged sounds like the sfx of an AOE attack to me. Plus the Armor and Force Wall slots already have a Limited Coverage Limitation.

I don't see any problem at all.

I'd say being submerged in acid may be more than an AoE. That would almost qualify as an environmental effect, just like standing in the middle of a blazing fire arguably would be. Now, having acid douse, or wash over the character (versus being somehow held under in a pool of it), that's something else. Of course, unless a whole tub of acid is dropping straight on them from above it's likely, in comic terms anyway, that Cap's shield would protect him from at least some the effects of a flood of acid. I would see no problem applying aspect of the shield to AoE attacks, as long as the GM made it clear that do to “common and dramatic sense” some AoEs would totally ignore it.

That, and as already mentioned; Limited Coverage has been in every build except the Op’s.

Hyper-Man: The OP did have a DEX roll.

“Armor (13 PD/13 ED) (39 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)”

BNakagawa: I also thought you were referring to Hyper-Man’s build. Perhaps that’s because you were responding directly to him several times with no frame of reference.