Targetting DCV with OECV

I'd say it was a +0 Advantage. The average mentalist usually has an OECV within a point or two of the average energy projector's OCV, and you are effectively talking about LOS powers with no range mods for most Mental powers. The character saves the cost of a few extra combat levels or a little dex, but doesn't gain the other benefits those levels or dex could get him, so no net gain or loss there. An EB AVLD with LOS, no KB and NRM is more expensive than an Ego Attack vs CV, but I don't see that as a major issue; imo those advantages are a bit overvalued anyway.

I had a Fantasy Hero character who did this with a couple of spells (as he was primarily a mentalist) and I believe we used +1/2. It permitted him to use his Ego, which was superior to his DEX (otherwise why bother), so it was advantageous. And cheaper than the levels or extra DEX to equalize.

Originally posted by Thirdbase

I consider it a +0 advantage, since the cost of DEX + SPD = EGO + SPD. Assuming the attack is against PD or ED, if it's against MD I'd say a +1/2 advantage.

In isolation, it's not an advantage or a disadvantage. But a character who has equal DEX and EGO isn't likely to want to switch out DEX for Ego anyway. The advantage will be taken almost exclusively by mentalists, who have bought their ego well above their Dex.

For an extreme example, assume the character is a Professor X type who has taken NCM, age 90+ and a 30 EGO, and has a DEX of 8 because, physicaly, he's in very sad shape. He also has a power called "focus mind: 6d6 Ego Aid". This is the type of character (the example an extreme one) most likely to take such an advantage.

If the character has equal OCV and OECV, I wouldn't make him pay for this "advantage" since it's not an advantage to him. For a character whose EGO is considerably greater than DEX, this IS an advantage - the character is getting around the need to buy both stats up. For some characters, it may be more economical to buy levels with physical attack OCV's to equal their OECV to simulate the same effect (although this won't translate perfectly in 6he case of DEX or EGO adjustment powers).