Mechanic Definitions: Power Target/Range

schir1964

Target/Range Definitions For Powers (Breakdown And Application)

Powers have a default Target Type and default Range.

Target Type

• Self: Power may only affect the owner of the power.
  • Any One Thing: Power may affect any one thing.
  • Area: Power encompasses a defined area and any thing within the area is affected.

Note: Target Type is a linked progression. To change from Self to Area requires two steps (Self -> Any One Thing -> Area) and vice versa. Also, any modifiers that change the Target Type to Self or Area require only one level to address changing Any One Thing to Self or Area and vice versa.

Max Range

• No Range: Power has a Max Range of Zero.
  • Reach Range: Power has a Max Range of Normal Reach.
  • Standard Range: Power has a Max Range based on the Active Points in the Power.
  • Throwing Range: Power has a Max Range based on owners throwing maximum.
  • Line Of Sight Range: Power has a Max Range of Sight Perception. If you can see it, your power can reach it.
  • Unlimited Range: Power has no Max Range limit.

- Christopher Mullins

Re: Mechanic Definitions: Power Target/Range

Self is specifically listed in both the Type (EDIT: I meant to say Target) and Range section of 5ER. The 4 ranges in the book are usually considered Self, No Range (there is a difference), Standard Range (on which Range Based on Strength is a Limitation), and Line of Sight.

I'm really not sure where you found an Unlimited Range?

Or are you suggesting this as a new definition?

Added Line Of Sight to range types.

Also, Unlimited Range is supported by the current system. There is an Advantage that allows you remove the Max Range limitation on a power. At least, I think I remember reading that somewhere in the book.

- Christopher Mullins

I've always been slightly concerned about attacks that affect a single target, say an unadvantaged EB, affecting very large targets.

I would suggest that we consider incorporating that idea into the 'target' definition so that we don't have 'any one thing' as a target definition: sure you have a 1000d6 EB, but it is not going to be enough to destroy the planet, even if it is a single target.

Perhaps very large objects should only be meaningfully damaged by AoE attacks, or at least attacks that they can fully fit withint he range of (1000d6 has a 'standard' 50km range).

I've always been slightly concerned about attacks that affect a single target, say an unadvantaged EB, affecting very large targets.

I would suggest that we consider incorporating that idea into the 'target' definition so that we don't have 'any one thing' as a target definition: sure you have a 1000d6 EB, but it is not going to be enough to destroy the planet, even if it is a single target.

Perhaps very large objects should only be meaningfully damaged by AoE attacks, or at least attacks that they can fully fit withint he range of (1000d6 has a 'standard' 50km range).

What you are addressing here is the problem that the Hero System has with the interaction of two things that are at different scales.

There have been other threads that have discussed this and possible solutions on how different scaled things interact:

* A 1000d6 Energy Blast at Normal Human Scale vs Earth's Body at Planetary Scale

* A 100d6 Energy Blast at Planetary Scale vs Earth's Body at Planetary Scale

* A 10d6 Energy Blast at Planetary Scale vs Human's Body at Normal Human Scale

I would prefer this solution for different scale interactions instead of trying to fix it with kludges to this mechanic.

However, if you think there is an easy fix for it, I'm all ears. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

What you are addressing here is the problem that the Hero System has with the interaction of two things that are at different scales.

There have been other threads that have discussed this and possible solutions on how different scaled things interact:

* A 1000d6 Energy Blast at Normal Human Scale vs Earth's Body at Planetary Scale

* A 100d6 Energy Blast at Planetary Scale vs Earth's Body at Planetary Scale

* A 10d6 Energy Blast at Planetary Scale vs Human's Body at Normal Human Scale

I would prefer this solution for different scale interactions instead of trying to fix it with kludges to this mechanic.

However, if you think there is an easy fix for it, I'm all ears. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

Maybe not an easy fix, and certainly not not a kludge, but perhaps anything that is (say) more than 16x* human scale needs at least 1 level of AoE (+1) to affect. I'd have to sit down and work out what scale the Earth is compared to a human but, to blow it up, you'd need to do enough damage and have at least AoE(+1) with enough doublings to take you within 4 doublings of that scale.

I'm just thinking out loud here....

*or 32x or 64x or whatever - the principle is mroe important than the actual numbers

Maybe not an easy fix, and certainly not not a kludge, but perhaps anything that is (say) more than 16x* human scale needs at least 1 level of AoE (+1) to affect. I'd have to sit down and work out what scale the Earth is compared to a human but, to blow it up, you'd need to do enough damage and have at least AoE(+1) with enough doublings to take you within 4 doublings of that scale.

I'm just thinking out loud here....

*or 32x or 64x or whatever - the principle is mroe important than the actual numbers

To hit massive targets I would require some degree of Megascale Area Of Effect. Otherwise you're boring a very nice Hex Sized hole through it. . . Just as a campaign parameter.

(who knows, could be in-genre to blow up a planet with eye beams.)

I assume that by "No Range: Power has a Max Range of Zero." you mean to include both powers that only affect the user (literally Zero range) and powers that affect others at HtH distances (up to one Hex). If it matters for your purposes, you might want to distinguish between these two.