Lightning powers...with a BOOM!

Fedifensor

One of the players in my forthcoming Champions game wants a character with storm powers - primarily lightning. However, he wants all the lightning attacks to have a secondary thunder effect. So, I'm currently looking at a multipower for the attacks, and a 2d6 AoE (or Explosion) Flash vs the Hearing Sense Group outside the multipower, that would automatically be part of any lightning attack. Do I need to add any advantages or limitations to make this work?

Re: Lightning powers...with a BOOM!

If the Lighting was a a single power you could Link the Flash to it, however you cannot Link a Power to an entire Framework. If you wanted, as the GM you could allow him to add a small Limitation to the Flash limiting it so that can only be used as part of a Multi-Power Attack.

That, or it's just a special effect.

Crack (BOOM!)

Groovy. S'very noisy. Worth -1/4 as a 'visible power effect' since it goes well above & beyond flash of light, stink of ozone & Ow-that-frigging-hurt. If it's a flash? No SFX oriented GM would really encourage that. It's too haphazard and has just as much of a chance of burning the party as anything else.

I considered writing it up just as a special effect. However, the more I thought about it, the more it fit to have the thunder effect. So, here's what I came up with:

----------

Lightning Powers: Multipower, 56-point reserve

* Lightning Bolt: Energy Blast 11d6 (vs. ED) (55 Active Points)

* Shock Bolt: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), No Normal Defense (10+ resistant ED or being fully insulated; +1) (56 Active Points)

* Living Lightning Arc: Energy Blast 3d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +1/2), No Normal Defense ((10+ resistant ED or being fully insulated); +1), Area Of Effect (8" Any Area; +1 1/4) (56 Active Points); Only Along Teleport Path (-1/2)

Storm Powers: Elemental Control, 30-point powers

* Crack of Thunder: Hearing Group Flash 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (30 Active Points)

* Storm Shield: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points)

* Borne By Lightning: Teleportation 15", Position Shift, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points)

I Have Seen The Lightning...: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points)

...And Heard The Thunder: Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points)

----------

Basically, using the multiple power attack rules, Crack of Thunder can be used with any attack out of the multipower. I may add a -1/4 limitation on Crack of Thunder that says the character MUST use the power in a multiple power attack when using a lightning attack. While technically the combined attack is around 85 pts, the flash versus a non-targeting sense is mostly flavor. The only real effect in most combats is to hinder communication for those affected.

Another way would be to drop a Resetting Trigger on the Flash so it goes off whenever another power is activated.

That said, I tend to agree with Thia, in that it's a limitation.

Visible to the Sound Group (Noisy, basically), because you can home in on it from miles away. Heck, every schoolkid knows hyow to figure out how far away you are by counting the lag.

I'd also encourage Side Effects that always effect the environment, just like the backblast of a bazooka, Jet Exhaust or Propeller blades. Because it's going to be a nuisance at least as often as it's gonna be helpful

* Living Lightning Arc: Energy Blast 3d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +1/2), No Normal Defense ((10+ resistant ED or being fully insulated); +1), Area Of Effect (8" Any Area; +1 1/4) (56 Active Points); Only Along Teleport Path (-1/2)

I would do this with the "Trail" version of AE from the Ultimate Speedster. Although it is an optional rule, I like it better than some of the jinky ways of getting around the issue (like using a trigger, or linking to movement, or whatever).

I would do this with the "Trail" version of AE from the Ultimate Speedster. Although it is an optional rule' date=' I like it better than some of the jinky ways of getting around the issue (like using a trigger, or linking to movement, or whatever).[/quote']

I looked that up - cool advantage. I just wonder if it was meant to be used with a power where you technically don't traverse the intervening space...