Magical cape

Split Decision

I have an idea for a super with an automaton follower cape- something like Dr. Strange's cape or Dr. Octopus' mechanical arms. Could function independently, or together.

The construction I have is solid, and I am happy with the follower.

But, in addition, when the super is wearing the cape, he may use it to perform defensive actions; SFX: he commands it to protect him.

Specifically: armor, sight flash def, force wall, and missile defense.

Question: Should I build these as a multipower with the overall limitation "Only when in contact with cape/only when in possession of cape"? Which I think is a (-1/4). Or, should I make the cape a Summon in the same MP?

Or is there another more elegant way I have not thought of yet?

Note: The automaton follower cape does not have these powers for itself; these are powers inherent in the superhero for which he requires the cape to be near.

Re: Magical cape

If the cape is a separate character, don't buy armour, buy force field with the adder that it protects anything held (you can buy flash defence through the FF too I think), and when it is holding the character (i.e. being worn, it can protect him. Similarly it can missile deflect (you might need MD at range (1 hex) and it can always chuck up a FW - you just buy it all as powers of the follower.

No capes!

Edna: You need a new suit, that much is certain.

Bob: A new suit? Well, where the heck am I gonna get a new suit?

Edna: You can't! It's impossible! I'm far too busy, so ask me now before I can become sane.

Bob: Wait? you want to make me a suit?

Edna: You push too hard, darling! But I accept!

Edna: It will be bold! Dramatic!

Bob: Yeah!

Edna: Heroic!

Bob: Yeah. Something classic, like, like Dynaguy. Oh, he had a great look! Oh, the cape and the boots...

Edna: [throws a wadded ball of paper at Bob's head] No capes!

Bob: Isn't that my decision?

Edna: Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids.

Bob: Listen, E...

Edna: November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!

Bob: Thunderhead was not the brightest bulb...

Edna: Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!

Bob: E, you can't generalize about these things...

Edna: Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!

[shouts]

Edna: No capes!

OK, went ahead and built it. Unfortunately, since the cape is an Automaton, the defensive powers (FF, FW) are prohibitively expensive, even though the cape cannot benefit from them.

Am I correct in assuming that the costs for defensive powers such as these are trebled since it's an automaton that takes no stun and does not bleed?