Advice on building a brick character

Sean Waters

Re: Advice on building a brick character

I love how most people are like "I posted something like that once' date=' I'll see if I can find it..." but Killer Shrike is like, "Here's two dozen examples."[/quote']

This!

I just smashed him with my puny rep stick but I would get Killer again if I could because the characters are all interesting too, not just filler.

This!

I just smashed him with my puny rep stick but I would get Killer again if I could because the characters are all interesting too, not just filler.

My memory isn't really that good -- I have some code that finds and indexes character sheets on my site and a list that reads from it...makes it easy for me to find them. ;)

http://www.killershrike.com/CharacterMaster/CharacterGenreList.aspx?r=0

That´s what I thought.

Just to confirm my knowledge (my books are currently in another hemisphere), the ¨default¨ is that you can just pick up a car and use it as an AoE attack, yes? The Naked Advantage route is either your house rule or a suggested alternative?

Definitely a 'house build': using strength to gain an AoE atatck has always troubled me (and I'm not sure the core rules are definitive on it: large objects MAY be considered AoE or grant a bonus to OCV or might just be considered a justification for a sweep attack, or spreading) - it seems most un-Hero. Sure it is a logical consequence of high STR, but when did we ever care about logical consequence? This just removes any arguments: it works that way because it is paid for.

How about some random knowledge skills he can use in pursuit of his hobby.... or that he has picked up from it as a result (either in order to get the girl' date=' or as a result of just spending time with her)? An unusual knowledge of clothes, different perfumes, or that one girl who just really loved show horse riding?[/quote']

KS Perfumes is definitely going on there :)

I probably need some serious re-alignment, but I read this and couldn't stop thinking: immunity to T-Rex

Small arms.

Sorry.

Nicely played, that man.

heheheheh.

I like the idea that in his nonpowered form, he's a suave, stealthy catburglar type, and, when he's powered-up, he's this unstoppable juggernaut with all the subtlety of a rock through your window.

Unfortunately, this had led me to the thought that the best way to do this would be to rebuild the character from the ground up with a multiform.

That way, you're not doing a lot of minor tweaking which, if you're looking for something easier for new players to wrap their heads around, would probably work better.

Does mean a bit more work, though.

I am one taking advice, and have little room to give advice this early in my gaming career, but as a comic writer I would like to add this:

I like to mix it up with my bricks, add a couple unexpected powers. My current brick (The Dux) is a brick with an energy blaster side. So far in test play it has worked out pretty well.

Bricks have (in my opinion) become very drab singular focused characters (big and tough), and while that IS what a brick is I feel an impulse to make my bricks more versatile. After Dux I am working on a classic brick in a different body: small frail girl whose muscles, organs, and bones are basically organic titanium.

Now classic brick power I have always liked is what i named "Comic strike". Leap into the air, before hitting ground you make a strike at person in "adjacent" hex (maybe with reduced OCV), then as you land and cause the classic shock wave effect.

Take this from a comic writer more than a HERO player.