Advice on building a brick character

Sean Waters

I'm working on a little 'Built Using Hero' project at present to build a game using Hero as is, that then takes out all the construction numbers, leaving (hopefully) a game that anyone can play, using a very brief rules summary and the character sheets OR you can play it as a full Hero game. I'll post it when I'm done, if there are no objections from the management.

The basic idea is simple: we have a future where superpowers are a reality and you are required to register them and not use them without a licence. A lot of superbeings, who want to stay the right side of the law, join City Defence Force, basically a superpowered response team for paranormal threats. All the PCs are CDF recruits.

The game itself is a simple training mission. The team split into two, one designated 'Cops', the other designated 'Robbers'. You can see where this is going, right....?

Anyway, I'm creating 8 SPBs based on 300 points (200+100). The design criteria are that they are basically normals with superpowers, so, for instance, most of their characteristics are in the normal human range (although often toward the top of that range) and EVERY character is SPD 4. That is a design consideration to make it easier for non-Hero afficionados to jump right in.

I've got this one character called 'Ironstone' who can switch on a transformation from a normal human type to this ironstone (bit like sandstone) behemoth with bands of glinting ron running through him. Nice. Trouble is I've got him up to 225 points and I'm struggling to think what else to do.

[center][center][b][color=white][font=Times New Roman]Ironstone[/font][/color][/b][font=Times New Roman][/font][/center]

[/center]
[font=Arial Black]Val     Char  Cost   Roll       Notes[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]30+20   STR      20      15- / 19-  Lift 1600.0kg/25.6tons; 6d6/10d6 [3/5][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  11       DEX      3       11-            OCV:  4/DCV:  4[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  20       CON     20      13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]14+2     BODY   8       12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  13       INT        3       12-            PER Roll 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  12       EGO      4       11-            ECV:  4[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  16       PRE       6       12-            PRE Attack:  3d6[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  12       COM     1       11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6+14     PD          0                        Total:  6/20 PD (0/12 rPD)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]4+12     ED         0                        Total:  4/16 ED (0/10 rED)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]    4        SPD      19                       Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  10       REC      0[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]  40       END      0[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]39+2     STUN    0       [/font][font=Arial Black]Total Characteristic Cost:  84[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Movement:[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman]                   Running:               6"/12"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]                                        Leaping:                6"/12"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]                                        Swimming:            2"/4"[/font]
[font=Arial Black]Cost  Powers                                                              END[/font][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Ironstone Body, all slots Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (All powers have to be activated and in use simultaneously; +0)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]26       1)  Armor (12 PD/10 ED) (33 Active Points); Visible (-¼)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5          2)  Density Increase (400 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -2" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+¼) (12 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -1), Linked (Armor; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -½) 5[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5          3)  Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 400 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+¼) (12 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -1), Linked (Armor; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -½)                                                                                                5[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]8          4)  Physical Damage Reduction, 25% (10 Active Points); Visible (-¼)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]8          5)  Energy Damage Reduction, 25% (10 Active Points); Visible (-¼)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20       [i]Big boom:[/i]  Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +½) for up to 60 Active Points of Strength (30 Active Points); OIF (Requires appropriately large object of opportunity; -½)                   3[/font]
[b][font=Arial Black]       [/font][/b][font=Arial Black]Skills[/font][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Bugging 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Combat Driving 11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Criminology 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          CuK: The Underworld 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Demolitions 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Electronics 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Forgery (Documents) 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Interrogation 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Lockpicking 11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          PS: Burglar 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Security Systems 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Seduction 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Shadowing 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20       +2 Overall[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Sleight Of Hand 11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Stealth 11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Streetwise 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Survival (Urban) 12-[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  141[/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Total Cost:  225[/font][/b][font=Arial Black][/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/b]
[font=Arial Black]200+  Disadvantages[/font][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Total Disadvantage Points:  225[/font][/b][font=Arial Black][/font]

I want the design to make sense, but he's pretty much on a par with the other characters as he is. Any sugegstions for that last 75 points?

Re: Advice on building a brick character

Tough to say without seeing the other characters. How does a SPD 4 martial artist' date=' for instance, stand up against a SPD 4 brick? If the archetypes that we think of as "fast" don't get the extra SPD, then what do they get instead?[/quote']

I'm not looking to make him more powerful, particularly, that's not really what I'm after. I'm after one or more interesting abilities that fit an ex-burglar who suddenly became super-strong and found that he could get even stronger - and tougher - by transforming into a 'rock being'. I mean I could give him movement powers, but I'll probably just add on a few inches of running an leaping - I don't see him as a flier, or rather I don;t see any reason why he should be: I could probably justify it with some sort of magnetic abilities: ironstone (which is real: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironstone and found in profusion at Hengistbury Head, just down the road from me, where it used to be mined: http://www.hengistbury-head.co.uk/frameindex.htm) is rich in iron ore.

I'll sort out balance, but, really, it is not that much of a problem. I will have to tweak the characters a bit for the final mix but here, for example, is the speedster, Shimmer:

[b][font=Times New Roman]Shimmer[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Val      Char   Cost    Roll     Notes[/font][/b]
[font=Times New Roman]20        STR     10        13-       Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        DEX    30        13-       OCV:  7/DCV:  7[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]18        CON   16        13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        BODY            0          11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        INT     5          12-       PER Roll 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        EGO    0          11-       ECV:  3[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        PRE     5          12-       PRE Attack:  3d6[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]16        COM   3          12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]4          PD       0          Total:  4 PD (0 rPD)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]4          ED       0          Total:  4 ED (0 rED)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]4          SPD     10        Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        REC    4[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]36        END    0[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]29        STUN  0          [b]Total Characteristic Cost:[/b]  [b]91[/b][/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Movement:[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman]     Running:         10"/20"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Flight:  15"/30"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Leaping:          12"/24"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Swimming:      2"/4"[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Cost    Powers            END[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]22        [i]Speed freaking:[/i]  Elemental Control, 44-point powers[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        1)  [i]Moving to the beat:[/i]  Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)         1[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]23        2)  [i]Doing things quickly:[/i]  Change Environment 8" radius, Varying Combat Effects, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]30        3)  [i]Fast as a shark:[/i]  Flight 15", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), No Turn Mode (+1/4), Usable running (+1/4), Usable swimming (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)           5[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6          [i]Get a good run up:[/i]  Leaping +8" (12" forward, 6" upward), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (12 Active Points); Linked (You're all in slo-mo; -1/2), Linked (Fast as a shark; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/2)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]12        [i]Doing it faster:[/i]  Penalty Skill Levels:  +4 vs. penalties for doing something in less time with all tasks[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]24        [i]You're all in slo-mo:[/i]  +3 with All Combat[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        [i]I saw you coming:[/i]  +2 with DCV[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]7          [i]Now you see it...:[/i]  Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2)[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]            Talents[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6          Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with All Actions[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]            Skills[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Acrobatics 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Breakfall 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Climbing 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Language:  Afrikaans (fluent conversation)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Language:  Cambodian (fluent conversation)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]1          Language:  Nepalese (basic conversation)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Language:  Punjabi (fluent conversation)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Navigation (Land) 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Paramedics 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Persuasion 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          PS: TV Presenter 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          PS: Dancer 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Riding 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Shadowing 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Stealth 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]12        Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain, Urban) 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Tracking 12-[/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Total Powers & Skill Cost:[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman]  [b]209[/b][/font]
[b][font=Times New Roman]Total Cost:[/font][/b][font=Times New Roman]  [b]300[/b][/font]

Some ideas:

+3 Dex usable only when NOT in rocky form. Gives him an advantage to being in normal human form sometimes.

A couple skill levels in criminal type skills.

Luck, especially if no one else on the team has it.

Direction Sense, or other magnetic based senses.

Analyze Caper. Two uses:

Predict the other team's plans.

Find weakness in the hero team's plans.

Fewer Disadvantages. Do you HAVE to take the max?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

Sean

What about some kind of directional ability - you could go from simply knowing where you are to much more complex stuff from tapping into the magnetic field of the planet and its disruptions.

You could also make him able to interfere with electricity if he charges himself up to become a great big capacitor - possibly even to the point of discharging it all at once for a one off painful attack form.

Doc

How about some of these from the UNTIL Superpowers Database:

11 I Am One With the Earth: Knockback Resistance -8” (16 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½).

5 Environmental Resiliance: Life Support (Safe Environments: Intense Cold, Intense Heat; Diminished Eating: only has to eat once per week).

22 Magnetic Repulsion: Missile Deflection (all physical attacks) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Ferrous Attacks (-1) (total cost: 7 points) plus Missile Reflection (at any target) (30 Active Points); Only Works Against Ferrous Attacks (-1) (total cost: 15 points).

10 Magnetic Attraction: Clinging (normal STR +30) (20 Active Points); Can Only Cling To Ferrous Metals (-1).

42 Magnetic Field Awareness: Spatial Awareness (INT Roll) (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees),

Range.

Is it safe to assume that you will not be using exotic attacks? The character has some defense holes unless you are not using things like AP or Find Weakness.

For me, nothing says Brick like trashing the environment. Tunneling (only through walls) and AP or Penetrating on STR (only against objects) are simple enough for new players I think.

Some very nice ideas. Here's the first I'm going to go with (I'm looking at a magnetic based sense next):

Suddenly not so big 20 Active, 13 Real

+4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only when turning OFF 'Ironstone Body'; -1/2)

I'd thought of tunneling, but the nature of the game almost precludes it: There is a stash of 'gold' in the middle of the 'map', and the Robbers have to get a ton of it out of the game area: tunelling makes that too easy.

In addition it is not that he can control rock/earth; just that he can turn into it so it doesn't make conceptual sense, but nice ideas nonetheless.

Some very nice ideas. Here's the first I'm going to go with (I'm looking at a magnetic based sense next):

Suddenly not so big 20 Active, 13 Real

+4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only when turning OFF 'Ironstone Body'; -1/2)

When I suggested DEX usable only in human form, I wasn't thinking DCV, I was thinking more of the skills. Several of his skills look like they'd be harder as a rock.

Uh, I mean, easier if you're not a big rock.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Lucius would also give this character the ability to play a musical instrument - probably drums or guitar - but we all know why he'd want that, don't we?

Life Support: Safe Environments against High Pressure and Low Pressure/Vacuum would seem appropriate for a rocky/metallic character.

Also, how about:

18 Bang A Gong: Hearing Group Flash 6d6, Explosion (+1/2) (27 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

for being able to ring his own body loudly against metallic objects (or itself)?

What exactly does Big Boom represent?

Round out his skills, give him a hobby.

Big boom is a personal preference to how I deal with high STR allowing AoE attacks: you buy an AoE attack as a naked advantage on STR. Without Big Boom, pick up a car and you get a bit of extra reach and a decent justification for a sweep maneouvre. Pick up a car with Big Boom and you have a one hex AoE, and no arguments. This allows him to smack you with up to 60 STR (a pushed 50) of smushy goodness, and compensates for his relatively low OCV.

BTW, he has a hobby: that's what 'seduction' is in there for :D

Life Support: Safe Environments against High Pressure and Low Pressure/Vacuum would seem appropriate for a rocky/metallic character.

Haven't yet decided if he is rocky all the way though yet, and there are a couple of other characters with significant LS - I don't want to make it too ubiquitous.

Also, how about:

18 Bang A Gong: Hearing Group Flash 6d6, Explosion (+1/2) (27 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

for being able to ring his own body loudly against metallic objects (or itself)?

Ha - like that :)

Big boom is a personal preference to how I deal with high STR allowing AoE attacks: you buy an AoE attack as a naked advantage on STR. Without Big Boom, pick up a car and you get a bit of extra reach and a decent justification for a sweep maneouvre. Pick up a car with Big Boom and you have a one hex AoE, and no arguments. This allows him to smack you with up to 60 STR (a pushed 50) of smushy goodness, and compensates for his relatively low OCV.

BTW, he has a hobby: that's what 'seduction' is in there for :D

That´s what I thought.

Just to confirm my knowledge (my books are currently in another hemisphere), the ¨default¨ is that you can just pick up a car and use it as an AoE attack, yes? The Naked Advantage route is either your house rule or a suggested alternative?

How about some random knowledge skills he can use in pursuit of his hobby.... or that he has picked up from it as a result (either in order to get the girl, or as a result of just spending time with her)? An unusual knowledge of clothes, different perfumes, or that one girl who just really loved show horse riding?

Yeah, bricks are often more efficient than non-bricks. But we all know STR isnt too cheap, so you must be imagining things ;)

If you feel the character is already comparable to the other PC's in raw combat terms, concentrate on soft abilities for the remainder of the points. Perks in general, and Contacts in particular are good places to drop lots of points. A special vehicle. A "base" of some kind. A sidekick. Etc.

Also, here are some light bricks and scrappy bricks that you might be able to cherrypick from

Yeti

Seizure

Powderkeg

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Bronto

Jackhammer

Machine

Tenacious

THUGBE

Capacitar

Answerman

Chrysalis