Half Baked Idea: Optimal Conditions

Utech

Fair warning: This idea is (at most) half-baked. It would play havoc with some of the rules as written. If that sort of thing doesn't appeal do you, please I won't be the slightest bit offended if you hit the Back button now. :)

I assume that the middle of combat is far from the optimal place to use Attack Powers. Your target is rarely cooperative and you have to make sure that your defenses are up and that you're practicing good situational awareness.

Under optimal conditions, however, you should be able to really focus all of your power and ability and give it all you've got. "Optimal conditions" would include plenty of free space and time; no distractions; and a target who is neither resisting being hit by the attack nor doing anything to resist the power taking full effect.

A few options: Under Optimal conditions an Attack Power...

• ...has 2x effect,
  • ...has 2x dice,
  • ...does full "damage".

Any thoughts?

Re: Half Baked Idea: Optimal Conditions

Sounds like it could work, although it would mean in practice that it is impossible to lock up superheroes - you'd have to keep their powers supressed or keep them unconscious. I would go for maximum damage.

I'd also specify that you would need to be out of combat (or at least not in any danger) and have a full turn to focus and concentrate. In fact, 'Full concentration 0 DCV, extra time 1 turn'. I would not let it apply to 'real weapons'. You can not push or haymaker, but you can use martial arts manouvres.

Why can't you haymaker a 'real weapon'?

You just have to aim really, really carefully and viola you have a haymaker.

you can Haymaker a real weapon no problemo.

For some reason you can't Haymaker out of combat because it removes the disadvantage of the maneuver . . . kinda silly I think.

Why can't you haymaker a 'real weapon'?

You just have to aim really, really carefully and viola you have a haymaker.

You can - I was suggesting 'rules' for this optional optimal condition thing, not what the rules ARE.

I suggested not using optimal damage on real weapons because that would make them a bit odd in terms of design: if you had a turn to point a gun at something you double the damage, or nearly? Sounds odd. Sounds not 'real'. A lot of real weapons are KAs anyway and have a chance (especially out of combat where time is not a factor) of doing nearly max BODY because you roll so few dice.

Superpowers I can kinda live with. Part of the reason is that many use normal dice which (because of the number of dice) have little chance of doing maximum BODY, even when time is not a factor.

Don't like that prohibition, don't use it.

I suggested not allowing 'Optimal Conditions' with haymaker because a haymaker is you sort of 'pushing' yourself anyway, trying to do as much damage as possible, and that is kinda what OC does. Anyway if you could haymaker, why not - a 12d6 attack would then do 32 Body under optimal conditions - that makes the whole world too fragile. Anyway, the OC suggest max damage - you shouldn't be able to exceed the max for the attack without haymaker. That makes perfect sense and seems consistent (more so, I admit, than the 'real weapon' prohibition above)

The prohibition against using haymaker outside combat would then be irrelevant if you allowed OC instead - it is an entirely arbitrary resitriction.

Some more baking...

Optimal Conditions...

do

• allow for an Attack Power to be Pushed (if your GM approves).
  • use the Location chart. (Though if you are in Optimal Conditions, you really ought to be able to simply dispatch the target following the rules for killing an unconscious character 5ER page 411.)
  • mean that the character is entirely focused on the use of their Attack Power and are not really aware of anything else. They are at DCV 0, could easily be attacked by surprise, and would take 2 x Stun if attacked successfully.

do not

• ever happen in combat. Combat conditions are never optimal.
  • require a to-hit roll. (Thus, if a to-hit roll is required, you are not in optimal conditions)
  • have the option of being modified by Maneuvers.
  • apply to any Power purchased with the Real Weapon Limitation, unless the character makes appropriate rolls to indicate that the weapon is perfectly maintained and in perfect working order.

Any more thoughts? Are there certain Powers (Mental?) that would be far too powerful under Optimal Conditions? Or should we turn down the heat, tape up the oven, and resolve to order Chinese take-out henceforth?