Magic Carpet

Greywind

Re: Magic Carpet

I don't know what the carpet in Alladin was like: was it anthropomorphic? If so then you probably need to build it as a character follower or possibly a vehicle with an AI in control, although that seems unnecessarily complex.

I'd do this:

Magic Carpet: 72 Active, 13 Real

Flight 12", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (72 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Extra Time - roll out the carpet and sit down (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, -1/2), Gestures: magical sign (-1/4), Incantations: Up and aaaaaaaaaaway! (-1/4)

If you get rid of 'independent' then it becomes a 20 Real power and if the thing IS self willed you could add an appropriate limitation: doesn't always do what it is told (-1/2) or even NCC (at the -1 level).

I don't know what the carpet in Alladin was like: was it anthropomorphic? If so then you probably need to build it as a character follower or possibly a vehicle with an AI in control' date=' although that seems unnecessarily complex. [/quote']

Sean, yes the carpet in Aladdin is anthropomorphic. It has a distinct personality, communicates with charades and “hand” signals using its tufts (which it can actually grab things with) and is treated like a person by most of the cast. That’s why I suggested making it a follower, although a AI controlled vehicle would work, though I also think that seems overly complex.

Magic Carpet: 72 Active, 13 Real

Flight 12", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (72 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Extra Time - roll out the carpet and sit down (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, -1/2), Gestures: magical sign (-1/4), Incantations: Up and aaaaaaaaaaway! (-1/4)

If you get rid of 'independent' then it becomes a 20 Real power and if the thing IS self willed you could add an appropriate limitation: doesn't always do what it is told (-1/2) or even NCC (at the -1 level).

I don’t like Flight, UBOS, for representing a flying carpet, even with the focus limitation, for several reasons. The main one is what happens when someone shoots the carpet as you are flying? I prefer carpet as a vehicle (or follower in some cases) so that it has its own Defenses, Body, weaknesses (fire anyone?) et cetera. I know “common and dramatic sense” can deal with a focus being attacked and such, but I feel a full write-up of how it works is better, especially if it is going to be a constant part of the campaign.

**Sigh**

one of these days I'll get the hand of pasting stuff into these discussion boards

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes 
3 SIZE 0 15 3  Length 2", Width 1", Area 2" Mass 800 kg KB -3 
25 STR 25 0 25 14- HTH Damage 5d6 END [2] 
14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 3 
3 SPD 2.4 6 3  Phases: 4, 8, 12 
3 DEF 2 3 3   
8 BODY 13 -5 8 11-  
2" Ground Movement 6 -8 2"   
1" Water Movement 2 -1 1"   
0" Leaping 0 0 0" 22 Total Characteristics Points 

Cost Powers END 
29 Flight 12", x4 Noncombat 0 
-5 (0 Active Points); Partial Coverage (covers 2 Hexes; Only against attacks from below; -1 1/2) applied to DEF  

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 24 

Total Cost: 46 

then you need an AI with 'combat pilot' and you are golden :)

8 people? Whole room carpet?

Each person doesn’t necessarily take up a whole hex. I mean, sitting down I’m not 2 meters wide, so 8 people wouldn’t be too hard to fit. The one in the movie is smaller than the one in Sean’s build (at least, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t 4 meters long) and easily carried up to three characters.