An interesting idea by Hugh

JmOz

Hugh was talking about using a deck of cards instead of speed (And as I enjoy certain games from Piniacle, I liked the idea).

So this is the method I came up with based on it, and I was wondering what everyone thought of it:

Everyone is dealt a number of cards equal to there speed,

They then proceed to go on the turn they have a card on (Aces go first, then 2's, 3's) on up. Anyone who draws a King can use it when ever they wish (Wildcard), and Jokers are also wildcards but allow either a free push (Only in super Heroic games) or a free recovery to be taken while still performing another action, or an automatic success to a roll

Thoughts?

Re: An interesting idea by Hugh

Originally posted by JmOz

Hugh was talking about using a deck of cards instead of speed (And as I enjoy certain games from Piniacle, I liked the idea).

I can't claim credit for the idea - someone raised it once on a newsgroupd or an article somewhere and it seemed pretty creative.

I lkiked their concept of shuffling the deck and drawing one card at a time for phases (Ace to Queen meaning phases 1 - 12, King being s post seg 12 recovery), mainly because it ensured that, over time (52 segments) everyone had the appropriate number of actions for their Speed, something many randomizing systems fail to deliver consistently. I guess you could get more consistency if the GM held only 13 cards, so you wouldn't get Phase 3 twice in a row or all the PS12's come up near the start or finish of 4 turns.

I can understand that, the thing about the method I purpose is that every turn (12 second period) you still get the right number of actions (speed 5 will go 5 times as they have been dealt 5 cards)

On further thught in the shower however a few changes:

Cards will be redeamed from Joker-Ace-King-Queen-Jack-Down (Joker and Ace are considered "wild cards" for when they go, however with the holding rules the reason to use them as such are few, maybe to save endurance or something)

The Joker will allow for one of the following:

+2 CSL

A automatic sussess on a skill roll

+2 DC to an attack

A lucky effect (GM Discression, If the GM says no you may select another option, appropriate effects would be something that delays the enemy a phase or other minor effect)

Alternativly, the RED joker could provide the above and the BlACK joker could make you loose your turn (and other negative effects as per the GM, the flame based character attacks your vulnerable to flame hero)

Are you familiar with Deadlands? This smacks of that.

I just put another alternative in the SPD thread, I started to put it here but realized this topic probably was focused on the cards.

EDIT - I realized that also was focused on something more specific, the END/boosting issue, so went ahead and made a new thread as anyone seeing this likely already saw

I'm likely to keep the existing speed system, but I still like reading these things. Very creative.

And duplicates? If I had a 5 SPD and managed to draw a full house, say 2-Jacks and 3-Fives? Or are you saying you are drawing from a set of cards that only encompasses one suit?

Originally posted by Blue

I'm likely to keep the existing speed system, but I still like reading these things. Very creative.

And duplicates? If I had a 5 SPD and managed to draw a full house, say 2-Jacks and 3-Fives? Or are you saying you are drawing from a set of cards that only encompasses one suit?

I'm with you on not changing the speed system. However, in a scenario where "time is out of joint", this could be an interesting mechanic to add some confusion. I prefer the "one card is the phase for this segment" approach. It might also be interesting to see how behaviour changes if the player doesn't know a PS 12 recovery is coming up next.

If I were to deal to each PC se[arate;y, I think I'd go with one suit for each player. That could be interesting - "it's phase 3 for SuperDude, Phase 7 for BatGuy, and WonderLady gets a recovery instead of a phase."

Originally posted by zornwil

Are you familiar with Deadlands? This smacks of that.

I just put another alternative in the SPD thread, I started to put it here but realized this topic probably was focused on the cards.

EDIT - I realized that also was focused on something more specific, the END/boosting issue, so went ahead and made a new thread as anyone seeing this likely already saw

Yes I am familiar with Deadlands, and Savage Worlds, playing both most weekends right now. Both games are from Pinical (Thus the comment above).

As for duplicates, each dup would probably get his own cards worth of his speed. And yes if you were to draw doubles you could go twice.

I woiuld say that if two people tie they would have to go by dex order, if the same person however does get doubles he has to go in the doubles phase (or triples phase) so:

Captain Speed (Dex 30) vs Slow Poke (dex 2), The captain drew two fives, Slow poke drew one five, the order would be

Captain Speed, Slow Poke, Captain Speed