Let me OUT!

薔薇語

I am currently building a Mask (Jim Carrey) style hero. She has a mystic mask that when she puts it on she transforms into one of various incarnations trapped in the mask. She has, currently at least, no control over who comes out only of when she puts on the mask. There are only 2 personalities in the mask at the moment but as time goes on the others will awaken as well.

When the transformation is done, she is put in the background and doesn't exercise full control over the body anymore. This is a problem because not all of the inhabitants are receptive to the idea of playing second fiddle to a human. So she often has to have a battle of wills with some of her alternate personalities. I was trying to think of a good way to simulate this battle of wills in the rules. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

La Rose.

PS. Current build of the power (without issue of lose of control or need for the battle of the wills) is:

Mystic Mask: Multiform (175 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x2 Number Of Forms) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

She is the domenient personality incase the form is knocked out or falls asleep. It is a disad on the write up above becuase when physically compared she is almost always the weaker of the forms. But given the issue above, I am thinking that it might be a -0 limitation. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

Re: Let me OUT!

I would just use Accidental Change on each of the forms with different rolls (higher chance in the 2 forms, lower to no chance in the base form).

It's the old classic Banner vs. Hulk with more extra personalities. Banner can almost always voluntarily change into Hulk. Hulk almost never purposely changes back.

I would just use Accidental Change on each of the forms with different rolls (higher chance in the 2 forms, lower to no chance in the base form).

It's the old classic Banner vs. Hulk with more extra personalities. Banner can almost always voluntarily change into Hulk. Hulk almost never purposely changes back.

So I am a little confused by this option. Do you mean that the alternate form would have an "accidental change" that turns it back to the original? I'm not sure how that would quite work.

What I ended up writing it as was:

Mystic Mask: Multiform (175 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x2 Number Of Forms) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Ego v Ego to transform back; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

Does that limitation seem right to anyone else? Should it be less, more? Different?

Thanks

La Rose

The basic build looks right to me, but EGO v EGO to turn back is not much of a limitation unless you might want to turn back really quickly. In practice you are probably not doing anything more than delaying your change back by more than 1 or 2 extra phases, and that will rarely be critical.

Why not just build the various incarnations with Psych Lims, like 'mischeivous', 'socially inappropriate' and so on - they all require EGO rolls to overcome.

I had a Random Multiformer in a group years ago...Legion. The backstory is involved, but basically each form was an actual complete person from various dimensions that all got trapped in a dimensional anomaly together, the net effect of which only one could co-exist at a time.

The main way we built in a schism of personalities and wills was each form had at least one ACCIDENTAL CHANGE Disadvantages that defined a scenario in which the form would change.

Some of the AC's were based upon the character themselves (things that would cause them to lose control sufficiently for another consciousness in the MF to emerge), but some were things that would cause one of the other consciousness's to attempt to take over.

The AC's roll modeled the "battle of wills" aspect sufficiently for our purposes.

The basic build looks right to me, but EGO v EGO to turn back is not much of a limitation unless you might want to turn back really quickly. In practice you are probably not doing anything more than delaying your change back by more than 1 or 2 extra phases, and that will rarely be critical.

Why not just build the various incarnations with Psych Lims, like 'mischeivous', 'socially inappropriate' and so on - they all require EGO rolls to overcome.

I had a Random Multiformer in a group years ago...Legion. The backstory is involved, but basically each form was an actual complete person from various dimensions that all got trapped in a dimensional anomaly together, the net effect of which only one could co-exist at a time.

The main way we built in a schism of personalities and wills was each form had at least one ACCIDENTAL CHANGE Disadvantages that defined a scenario in which the form would change.

Some of the AC's were based upon the character themselves (things that would cause them to lose control sufficiently for another consciousness in the MF to emerge), but some were things that would cause one of the other consciousness's to attempt to take over.

The AC's roll modeled the "battle of wills" aspect sufficiently for our purposes.

I think given Sean's response, I am more inclined to lean to the AC over power limitation.

So in Legion's example, was one of the AC occurrences based on when another would exert will all their own to take control?

I seems like every form would take a AC with very common, as Elle will always try to retake her body. It may be that she allows them control to resolve a situation but she would never allow it to last longer than that immediate instance. And then the CtC as being the comparative will power of the current form to Elle. With some being more aggressive and having an 8- and others weaker or more willing with a 14-.

Okay I like this. I will go with it.

Thanks for the ideas.

La Rose