Armadillo Wrap

JohnTaber

Hi Gang: I have some ways I would build this but I was wondering what method the massively creative board members would devise. Here is what the player is after...

The character is an Armadillo-humanoid. He wants to be able to essentially grab another player and wrap up in a ball around them (i.e. essentially protecting them).

Thoughts? :)

Re: Armadillo Wrap

Couple of ways to do this really

Englobe self and others with a Force Wall.

Usable As Attack for his Armor

Protects Carried adder with Force Field.

Might also Link a Darkness effect to it if it completely covers the passengers...

Did something similar for the Ben 10 character Cannon Bolt.

Might also Link a Darkness effect to it if it completely covers the passengers...

FYI. UAA on his Armor was the way I saw it as well. ;)

Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group) (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

No, the Armor UAA is more cost effective.

The down side is the UAA can't be used at the same time to protect yourself, so you will end up buying armor twice.

Usable Simultaneously works well here, but you can't use it on anything except a willing target, so there are situations where you will be unable to shield your target.

I'd just call it Block for another, or simply interposing - diving for cover, but actually to dive *to* cover someone else. To be better than ordinary DFC/Block, buy some CSLs for Block/Interpose.

To me, Armor UAA doesn't quite make sense for this, because it's not an attack - you're protecting someone.

If there's a "right" Power for this, it should have Lockout - you have to stay wrapped, and the guy inside can't see, and the guy you're protecting is inside your armor. These are Limitations.

:thumbup:

I'd just call it Block for another, or simply interposing - diving for cover, but actually to dive *to* cover someone else. To be better than ordinary DFC/Block, buy some CSLs for Block/Interpose.

To me, Armor UAA doesn't quite make sense for this, because it's not an attack - you're protecting someone.

If there's a "right" Power for this, it should have Lockout - you have to stay wrapped, and the guy inside can't see, and the guy you're protecting is inside your armor. These are Limitations.

Hi Phil: The block/dive idea could also be done with the power if it is done correctly (i.e. block + power). ;) Also I would expect something to happen if the block/dive fails.

I think from a rules legal point of view I have to use UAA as the target may not always be willing.

Also I did not add details but yes, it would have Lockout and limitations on movement and visibility for the character AND target. If he is in a ball he can't move real fast. I guess just forcing the PC to do a grab might get around the problem...huh...have to think about it. I was fishing for the main build.

Other thoughts?

I think from a rules legal point of view I have to use UAA as the target may not always be willing.

If you use the Force Field with Protect Carried Items adder then UAA becomes unnecessary.

The character would just need to grab the target they want to protect.

If you are ruling out the use of the Hero power Force Field for a sfx reason consider this:

• Armor and FF can have the same sfx.
  • They do the same thing mechanically (provide resistant defenses).
  • They just have different starting points (Armor has IPE and 0 END by default, FF doesn't).

Here is what I came up with...it is actually part of a racial package deal. Don't worry about the cost of Armor being wrong. It is a campaign rule (defensive powers/spells cost double).

1.1 Armadillo Kin (“Dillos”)

1.1.1 Concept

Armadillo Kin are armor plated humanoids that closely resemble their namesake.

1.1.2 Physiology

Dillos are stocky humanoids with developed arms and legs but they retain many of the characteristics of Three-Banded Armadillos. These traits include clawed appendages that are suited for digging, armored plates, the ability to curl up into a ball for defense, great smell and taste, and poor eyesight. They have short gestation periods of 60 to 90 days and live to an average age of 45.

1.1.3 Personality

Armadillo Kin are survivors. They are not above getting into scrapes but they will also take the most defensive option if one is presented to them.

1.1.4 Society

Armadillo Kin are small in numbers but they have made their presence known on the battlefield. They are stalwart warriors and excel at sapping where they can use their digging talents to tunnel under walls and barricades.

1.1.5 Quirks

Some Dillos can actually grab another person then roll up into a ball protecting them from harm. Here is how this is purchased.

Cost

Name

Ability

Roll Into Ball With Target

Usable Simultaneously on Roll Into Ball, Concentration (0 DCV Throughout, (-1)), Side Effect (Major, Always Occurs, Affects Recipient, Movement is reduced to 1”, vision is restricted, and recipient is reduced to 0 DCV (-1 1/2))

1.1.6 Racial Package

Cost

Name

Ability

Survivors

+3 Constitution

Armored Plates

+3 PD/+3 ED Armor

Roll Into Ball

+3 PD/+3 ED Armor, Concentration (0 DCV Throughout, (-1)), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Side Effect (Minor, Always Occurs, Movement is reduced to 1” and vision is restricted, (-1/2)), 2 End

Find Grub

Enhanced Senses (Enhanced Perception – Normal Smell/Taste (+2))

Claws

1/2d6 HKA, Reduced Penetration (-1/4), 1 End

Slow Metabolism

Life Support (Diminished Eating (1/week))

Digger

1” Tunneling (Through 5 Defense material), Gestures (Hands and feet throughout, (-3/4)), Only Rocks And Dirt (-1/4), Takes 1 Turn Of Digging Per 1” Tunneling (-1/2)

Bulky Armor Plated Body

Distinctive Looks (Easily Concealed)

Poor Vision

Physical Limitation (Frequently / Greatly, -2 Rng Mod on Sight Perception Rolls)

Have you considered Life Support (Extended Breathing) and extra inches of Leaping? Armadillos jump crazy high and hold their breath for something like 5 minutes...

I thought about those...I may add them...the total package was getting costly... ;) Thanks! :D

I'm not so sure. Depending on how "truly armadillo-like" these guys are, rolling up an unwilling target would be rather dangerous, as he can punch/kick/stab at your inner, softer, unarmored bits. UBO, might be a better way to go (and certainly cheaper). Or perhaps UAA, with a Side Effect: Becomes Vulnerable to the held person's attacks, Always occurs. That would also keep the cost of the UAA down.

But in general, I don't think the ability is all that different from a normal person's ability to shield another with his body. The only differences are that the Armadillian is better able to withstand the attacks from the outside, and he can achieve more complete coverage of the person he's protecting.

1.1 Armadillo Kin (“Dillos”)

I really like the write-up! :thumbup:

It reminds me of a FH game I played in a long time ago where there were several different animal-man type races. Instead of being called "Baboon Men," "Hyena Folk," "Zebra Kin," etc., they had their own names, based on the animal names. I was a Babashiki (baboon-man). The Vultrusa were vulture-men, the Leonix were lion-men, etc.

Since the word "armadillo" etymologically means "little armored one", and since presumably, your Armadillo Kin are human-sized at least, you might consider giving them a different name, based on "Armad-" plus something else, that doesn't imply "little."

Armadicus

Armadon

Armadam (=armor + Adam?)

Armax (armor + max = "large armored one")

Or something like that.

It reminds me of a FH game I played in a long time ago where there were several different animal-man type races. Instead of being called "Baboon Men," "Hyena Folk," "Zebra Kin," etc., they had their own names, based on the animal names. I was a Babashiki (baboon-man). The Vultrusa were vulture-men, the Leonix were lion-men, etc.

Great reply Phil! Thanks. Good comments all around. :)

If you are interested my 44 page campaign notes are available at my gaming blog under Spirit Storm on the File Downloads page. A link to the blog is in my sig. ;)

Thanks again...take care! :D