Simon R. Green's Nightside

Farmer42

So I'm debating using Simon R. Green's Nightside as a setting, and I'm trying to decide on how to do it. For those that don't know, the Nightside is transdimensional back alley in London that's populated by gods, myths, robots, superheroes, and pulp adventurers. And that's just what's considered normal.

The book series is a lot of fun, and the setting gives me a lot of room to play. Anyway, I'm asking for some help deciding how I go about character creation. With the vast range, I'm not entirely sure how I should go about reflecting a world where favors and trinkets mean much more than money. I think what I'm going to do is have 75/75 (or maybe even 50/50) for character creation and give the players a floating 200 point "gadget" pool that covers things like favors, guns, magic items, cybernetics, etc. What do you guys and gals think?

I'm also debating dropping Contacts in favor of having the players use summon with lims instead, but that's a different matter entirely.

Re: Simon R. Green's Nightside

I haven't read it, but it sounds a lot like Spider Robinson's "Callahan Saloon" novels. I'd say the character point totals should be based on what type of adventures you want to run in the setting. If you want the characters to be big movers and shakers in the setting then 50/50 might be way to low. if you want them to just be regular folks thrust into a strange world then I would start them off low, but have them gain perks, contacts, favors, trinkets, etc... very fast, but in character and during game play. I find that this works a lot better then just giving them "gadget pool" to draw from.

The standard hero is going to be 200 pts easy. John Taylor has longevity, detective skills, ak nightside, monster lore, regeneration, detect weakness with a transform, retrocognition, contacts, reputation, has acquired some wealth.

disads are going to be detective's code, in love with Suzie Shooter, rivalry with other detectives, DF: White Coat, DF Mystic Aura, hunted by the church, watched by the authorities, public identity.

Things might go as high as 350 but unless the players are playing gods from the street of gods, 200-250 range should be good to start with.

CES

I am just starting to read this series, I read the short story that was part of the mean streets anthology but thats it so far.

the bar is sorta like Callahans, although a lot darker in various ways. there both great ideas in different styles, I have read all the callahans books, along with signed copy of GURPS Callahans.

on a side note, if you saw the article about the mosquito zapping lasers, one of the lead scientists on that project is a character in a couple of the later

callahans books. Jordin Kare also shows up in the Honor Harrington book War of Honor